Posted to alt.food.wine

Default DIY Wine Cabinet

Hello.

I am interested in building my own wine cabinet.

I am a woodworker and I built my Dining Room set where the wine cabinet
is going to live.

I have come across the Breezair cooling units made for cabinets. It
doesn't have much in the line of construction requirements though.'

Can anyone here please give me a heads up on construction requirments.

Is a couple coats of Polyurethane qualify as a 'vapor barrier'?

Sincerely,
Vince

Posted to alt.food.wine

Canadian Home Workshop magazine had detailed plans for a nice cabinet in
their September 2002 issue. Mission style in quartersawn oak, using a cooling
unit from Vintage Keepers. Call their subscriptions department; they may
still have some back issues.

They used signboard (plywood with vinyl coating) to make the inner part of
the cabinet.

http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/home.shtml

http://www.vintagekeeper.com/web/new/

I built one; it looks and works great.

Mark Lipton wrote:

> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am interested in building my own wine cabinet.
> >
> > I am a woodworker and I built my Dining Room set where the wine cabinet
> > is going to live.
> >
> > I have come across the Breezair cooling units made for cabinets. It
> > doesn't have much in the line of construction requirements though.'
> >
> > Can anyone here please give me a heads up on construction requirments.
> >

> > Is a couple coats of Polyurethane qualify as a 'vapor barrier'?

> Probably, if you coat both inside and outside with it. The need for a
> vapor barrier arises because the cooler temperatures inside will
> condense water vapor out of the air, leading to an accumulation of
> water. Because the walls of your cabinet will be cooler than their
> surroundings, it's important that air can't enter the wood from either
> direction, or you'll get dry rot fairly quickly.
>
> Just my $0.02,
> Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

This is great news.

However Canadian Home Workshop magazine no longer has back issues
beyond 2004/2005

Anyone still have a copy of this magazine?

Vince

Posted to alt.food.wine

vintagekeeper, aka coolspace, aka koolspace , aka chillR, aka whatever ...
is a notoriously lower-tier product line. their "cabinets' are particle
board and plastic laminate - hence the 12 month warranty versus 3 - 15 years
among mainstream cellar builders. to whatever extent they know anything
about building storage cabinets, they don't utilize such knowledge in their
own "construction" techniques.

the company is a subsidiary of a group that made real $ in the high-tech
instrument/controls industry. as with many "experts" in one field,
"scientific"credentials or qualifications don't often transfer from one
field to another. drobot's engineering is substandard with regard to wine
storage equipment - i'm not qualified to evaluate their oilfield or aviation
equipment.

the cooling system is composed of generic overseas, sweatshop, components
that is quintessential "planned obsolescence" ... they come out with "new
and improved" models every couple of years, resulting in zero availability
on service or parts 3 years down the road. breezaire and whisperkool will
have 6 year warranties - the canadian stuff - 12 months ....

their "extended warranties' are tantamount to selling replacement units at
regressively discounted prices. as a matter of fact, the machines built
machines built 7 years ago have superior service histories to those of the
2000 generation, which have had superior performance to those built in 2002,
etc., etc., etc.

between the 2 mainstream alternatives - breezaire and whisperkool, both are
quality and dependable equipment. breezaire will routinely provide
superior warranties, flexibility and cost-effectiveness. there's a reason
that every usa mfg of wine storage cabinets (that don't have their own
"house brand of cooling systems - vinotheque mfg's whisperkool) chooses to
use breezaire. their 20 year track record is immaculate.

while our primary focus is on objective information, our company does deal
with every mfg in this industry - whisperkool is a quality product, but
"apples and apples", it simply costs more with no enhanced value.

as distinct from room preparation - the guidelines for which can be found on
the breezaire site, the vinotheque site and any number of mail
order/retailer sites, cabinet construction is somewhat specialized
construction, tho' not enron accounting.

vapor barriers are critical on both sides of the rigid foam insulation that
must be sandwiched between the interior/exterior wall coverings. otherwise,
the wood will inevitably warp and there goes your airtight enclosure ....
excessive condensation, failure to maintain a controlled temp/rh and/or
constant running can result. naturally, absolute airtightness and
appropriate accommodation of air exchange (intake and exhaust) and other
variables must be addressed as well.

as counter-intuitive as it may appear, temperature delta is often irrelevant
with regard to the vapor barriers. humidity levels RELATIVE to a given temp
(interior or exterior) may effect the direction that mother nature attempts
to migrate the moisture and equalize environments. the assumption that
warmer air has a greater capacity to retain moisture is true in general, but
geography and household hvac equipment makes the "warm side" versus "cool
side" placement a non-issue. e.g., 72 degree mountain air can be "dryer"
than 55 degree "cellar" air.

2 vapor barriers in an integrated room's wall is a bad idea - there will be
a tendency to trap moisture, grow mold, puddle, etc. but, in a cabinet,
both are highly recommended, if not necessary.

mike stanton
www.galtwine.com

oups.com...