Posted to alt.food.wine
Daisy

Default Sauvignon blanc

Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France? I drink this
nectar most of the time, and as I live in New Zealand I can buy it at
variously from $12-18 for a good medium range sauv.blanc. If I want
to go higher I can pay heaps more.

I just bought a case of Saints Marlborough Sauv.Blanc for nz$120. It
was on special at a supermarket. This is just SO cheap for such a
splendid wine.

Really special sauv.blancs exported to the US are Sacred Hill and
Cloudy Bay. You will pay for these in the US I know. But come to NZ
and I can provide you with wines like this just as good for half the
price.

Cheers

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Posted to alt.food.wine
John Taverner

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Daisy wrote:
>> Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France?

> Sancerre (blanc)
> Pouilly Fumé

Mike
Why some are called Pouilly Blanc and others Pouilly Blanc Fume, or am I
being pedantic.
John

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Starren

Daisy,

In France the grape is also called Sauvignon Blanc. I't's the grape of the
river Loire in the northwest of France. Famous Sauvignon Blanc wines are
Sancerre and Pouilly fumé. But also in the south of France grows the
Sauvignon Blanc grape. The degree of acidity is for the Sauvignon Blanc
grape in France much higher then in New Zealand.

A famous winemaker of Sauvignon Blanc is: Domaine Henry Pelle, look at:
http://www.henry-pelle.com/

Greetings

Ed out of Holland
weblog: www.wijnerij.web-log.nl

"Daisy" > schreef in bericht
> Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France? I drink this
> nectar most of the time, and as I live in New Zealand I can buy it at
> variously from $12-18 for a good medium range sauv.blanc. If I want
> to go higher I can pay heaps more.
>
> I just bought a case of Saints Marlborough Sauv.Blanc for nz$120. It
> was on special at a supermarket. This is just SO cheap for such a
> splendid wine.
>
> Really special sauv.blancs exported to the US are Sacred Hill and
> Cloudy Bay. You will pay for these in the US I know. But come to NZ
> and I can provide you with wines like this just as good for half the
> price.
>
> Cheers
>
> Daisy
>
> Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

In a different style, you get Sauv Blanc from Pessac-Leognan - not always
blended with Semillion. E g Smith Haut Lafite, 95% Sauv Blanc, 5% Sauv Gris
(a clone with more color and, I think, milder taste). The difference in
style rests in the fifferent clima (warmer in Bordeaux) and oak aging.

Cheers

N ils Gustaf

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"John Taverner" > skrev i meddelandet
.uk...

> "Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
>> Daisy wrote:
>>> Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France?

>> Sancerre (blanc)
>> Pouilly Fumé

> Mike
> Why some are called Pouilly Blanc and others Pouilly Blanc Fume, or am I
> being pedantic.

It´s always Pouilly Fumé - when we discuss the Sauvignon Blanc from the
right-hand side of the Loire. A Pouilly FUmé is always white (blanc), and
always made from SB.
However, sometimes wines from e g California made from Sauv Bl are labelled
as Fumé Blanc, if I remember correctly. I seem to recollect thaat this stems
from some certain producer.
HTH
Nils Gustaf

Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley

In message >
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Daisy wrote:
>> Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France?

> Sancerre (blanc)
> Pouilly Fumé

There is also a much cheaper Sauvignon Blanc which can be very good.
It has recently been promoted from VDQS to AoC as St. Bris.
St.Bris-le-Vineux, as its name suggests has ben making wine for many
hundred years. It is above Irancy and over the river (Yonne) from
Auxerre and over the hills from Chablis!
It is there that I saw the wonderful suggestion "Si le vin te gêne
dans ton travail, supprime le travail" and the happy comment that
”Le bon vin et l‘amour fait passer d‘heureux jours•

(Loosely translated, respectively, ”If wine get in the way of work,
give up work• and ”Good wine and love while away happy days•

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley

In message >
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Timothy Hartley wrote:
>> In message >
>> Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>>>Sancerre (blanc)
>>>Pouilly Fumé

>> There is also a much cheaper Sauvignon Blanc which can be very good.
>> It has recently been promoted from VDQS to AoC as St. Bris.
>> St.Bris-le-Vineux, as its name suggests has ben making wine for many
>> hundred years. It is above Irancy and over the river (Yonne) from
>> Auxerre and over the hills from Chablis!
>> It is there that I saw the wonderful suggestion "Si le vin te gêne
>> dans ton travail, supprime le travail" and the happy comment that
>> ”Le bon vin et l‘amour fait passer d‘heureux jours•
>>
>> (Loosely translated, respectively, ”If wine get in the way of work,
>> give up work• and ”Good wine and love while away happy days•

> Yes, indeed...
>
> Now I was trying to keep it simple, but when you dig deeper you find
> that sauvignon is 21% of the grapes planted for white wine in Bordeaux.
> Now 21% of 15000ha is a lot of grapes... more than the sauvignon grown
> in Sancerre and Pouilly Fumé AOCs together...

But it is quite often blended with Semillon rather than being bottled
on its own.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley

In message >
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Timothy Hartley wrote:
>> In message >
>> Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>>>Yes, indeed...
>>>
>>>Now I was trying to keep it simple, but when you dig deeper you find
>>>that sauvignon is 21% of the grapes planted for white wine in Bordeaux.
>>>Now 21% of 15000ha is a lot of grapes... more than the sauvignon grown
>>>in Sancerre and Pouilly Fumé AOCs together...
>>>

>> But it is quite often blended with Semillon rather than being bottled
>> on its own.

> In fact, probably always blended.

Well I have occasionally had straight Sauvignon Blanc though it is not
something for which I would necessarily hunt a long way or pay a high
price.

Timothy Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine
Dan The Man

> It´s always Pouilly Fumé - when we discuss the Sauvignon Blanc from the
> right-hand side of the Loire. A Pouilly FUmé is always white (blanc), and
> always made from SB.
> However, sometimes wines from e g California made from Sauv Bl are labelled
> as Fumé Blanc, if I remember correctly. I seem to recollect thaat this stems
> from some certain producer.
> HTH
> Nils Gustaf

Nils, I believe it was Robert Mondavi who used "Fume Blanc" first.
others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan-O (you say potato, I say fumato)

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Hello;
No Mike, that is not so - as I pointed out, Smith haut Lafite is all
Sauvignon (95 % blanc, 5 % Gris)
and a lovely drink BTW, if pricey.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:34:12 GMT
Timothy Hartley > wrote:

> In message >
> Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>
> > Daisy wrote:
> >> Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France?

> > Sancerre (blanc)
> > Pouilly Fumé

> There is also a much cheaper Sauvignon Blanc which can be very good.
> It has recently been promoted from VDQS to AoC as St. Bris.
> St.Bris-le-Vineux, as its name suggests has ben making wine for many
> hundred years. It is above Irancy and over the river (Yonne) from
> Auxerre and over the hills from Chablis!
> It is there that I saw the wonderful suggestion "Si le vin te gêne
> dans ton travail, supprime le travail" and the happy comment that
> ”Le bon vin et l‘amour fait passer d‘heureux jours•
>
> (Loosely translated, respectively, ”If wine get in the way of work,
> give up work• and ”Good wine and love while away happy days•

Too right!

A nice Sauvignon St. Bris to look for is from Sorin DeFrance.
Very reliable, available, and inexpensive to boot.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Timothy Hartley wrote:

> There is also a much cheaper Sauvignon Blanc which can be very good.
> It has recently been promoted from VDQS to AoC as St. Bris.
> St.Bris-le-Vineux, as its name suggests has ben making wine for many
> hundred years. It is above Irancy and over the river (Yonne) from
> Auxerre and over the hills from Chablis!

There is also Sauvignon blanc grown in regions of the Loire outside of
the AOCs already mentioned. For instance, there's the Ouily-Thesée
co-op or Clos Roches Blanches in the Touraine, both of which are usually
great values.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Dan The Man wrote:

> Nils, I believe it was Robert Mondavi who used "Fume Blanc" first.
> others will correct me if I'm wrong.

100% correct, Dan. Mondavi coined the term for his dry SB (making
oblique reference to Pouilly-Fumé in the process) to distinguish it from
the sweet versions in vogue in CA at that time (the early '60s).

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley

In message >
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
wrote:

> Hello;
> No Mike, that is not so - as I pointed out, Smith haut Lafite is all
> Sauvignon (95 % blanc, 5 % Gris)
> and a lovely drink BTW, if pricey.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils Gustaf

According to Cocks & Feret planted with 90% Sauvignon blanç 5% gris &
5% Semillon — and therefore almost certainly blended in any year so,
as the lawyers say when they are being rude, with the utmost respect,
neither Mike‘s point nor mine is traduced by that example.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Timothy Hartley" > skrev i meddelandet
> In message >
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
> wrote:
>
>> Hello;
>> No Mike, that is not so - as I pointed out, Smith haut Lafite is all
>> Sauvignon (95 % blanc, 5 % Gris)
>> and a lovely drink BTW, if pricey.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nils Gustaf
>>

> According to Cocks & Feret planted with 90% Sauvignon blanç 5% gris &
> 5% Semillon - and therefore almost certainly blended in any year so,
> as the lawyers say when they are being rude, with the utmost respect,
> neither Mike's point nor mine is traduced by that example.

With all due respect - please view www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/ where you
will find that the white SHL from 1997 till 2002 in all cases have the same
mix - 95 blanc, 5 gris. The fact that they also cultivate semillion is
neither here nor there, as the domaine is large and has several other (no
doubt excellent) wines.

Really, I wouldn´t (especially after MikeT had made a comment, and MikeT´s
knowledge about wines is damn near encyclopedical) post a disagreement
without checking up - from the horse´s mouth, as it were.

Cheers!

Nils Gustaf

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>
>> Really, I wouldn´t (especially after MikeT had made a comment, and
>> MikeT´s knowledge about wines is damn near encyclopedical) post a
>> disagreement without checking up - from the horse´s mouth, as it were.

> Dear Scandic friend
>
> Since you have become a part-time resident of the "Sud-Est", you have
> picked up some of that Marseillais (for an international audience: Texan)
> gift for exageration: I know next to nothing about white Bordeaux... I do
> not like most of them, and those that I do like tend to be severely
> deformed by botrytis or excessive age :-0

Good friend Mike:
I spent two summers in the Republic of Ireland, at the tender and
impressionable age of 19 and 21.
I passed within kissing distance of the Blarney stone.
And I am well aware of your sweet tooth when it comes to wine.
But I really think you might like the SHL white ... if you haven´t tried it
already and found it wanting ...
Personally, I preferred it to some Sancerres (white of course) which I found
had an aggressive acidity.
The style is of course totally different, so comparing the one to the other
is a bit apples/pears.

And tonight, a white Bourgogne "severely deformed by ... excessive age".

Cheers

Till dess

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
wrote:

> "Timothy Hartley" > skrev i meddelandet
>> In message >
>> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello;
>>> No Mike, that is not so - as I pointed out, Smith haut Lafite is all
>>> Sauvignon (95 % blanc, 5 % Gris)
>>> and a lovely drink BTW, if pricey.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Nils Gustaf
>>>

>> According to Cocks & Feret planted with 90% Sauvignon blanç 5% gris &
>> 5% Semillon - and therefore almost certainly blended in any year so,
>> as the lawyers say when they are being rude, with the utmost respect,
>> neither Mike's point nor mine is traduced by that example.

> With all due respect - please view www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/ where you
> will find that the white SHL from 1997 till 2002 in all cases have the same
> mix - 95 blanc, 5 gris. The fact that they also cultivate semillion is
> neither here nor there, as the domaine is large and has several other (no
> doubt excellent) wines.
>
> Really, I wouldn´t (especially after MikeT had made a comment, and MikeT´s
> knowledge about wines is damn near encyclopedical) post a disagreement
> without checking up - from the horse´s mouth, as it were.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Nils Gustaf

Point taken about some years - my humble apologies - I only went to
the horse's back end and we know what you get there, even if you don't
get kicked! However the point remains that semillon is planted andused
from time to time - see for example 2001 where the site you quote
http://www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/us...p_shl_B01.html
shows the full 5% of semillon used for the white Smith Haut Lafitte.
2004 seems to have been the same.

Cheers

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Timothy Hartley" > skrev i meddelandet
> In message >
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Timothy Hartley" > skrev i meddelandet
>>> In message >
>>> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" >
>>> wrote:
>>>

> ... However the point remains that semillon is planted and used
> from time to time - see for example 2001 where the site you quote
> http://www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/us...p_shl_B01.html
> shows the full 5% of semillon used for the white Smith Haut Lafitte.
> 2004 seems to have been the same.

Ooops. My bad: I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing it out.
Apart from that, their Ch Cantelys Blanc contains regularly 50 % Semillion.
I have not had the pleasure of tasting that, though - I read some positive
taste notes about it in a Danish magazine a few months back.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote:

>> Nils, I believe it was Robert Mondavi who used "Fume Blanc"
>> first. others will correct me if I'm wrong.

> 100% correct, Dan. Mondavi coined the term for his dry SB
> (making oblique reference to Pouilly-Fumé in the process) ...

JFTMOR: "Blanc fumé" *is* actually a synonym for sauvignon in the
Loire region.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Salut/Hi Daisy,

le/on Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:42:15 +1300, tu disais/you said:-

>Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France?

In France wines are mainly named by the region in which they are grown, the
trick therefore is to know which regions grow Sauvignon Blanc and Gris

Mike is right that Sancerre and Pouilly sur loire (where they call it
Pouilly-Fumé because of the smoky flint-like smell it can have).

But he didn't mention that Bergerac and Bordeaux whites also have mainly SBs
as well.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Ian Hoare wrote:
>> Mike is right that Sancerre and Pouilly sur loire (where they call it
>> Pouilly-Fumé because of the smoky flint-like smell it can have).
>>
>> But he didn't mention that Bergerac and Bordeaux whites also have mainly SBs
>> as well.

> Oh but I did in the next post... ;-)
>
> cheers Ian

.... and heated debate ensued!

Tim Hartley

Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit?? arrassa Winemaking 12 18-02-2007 01:03 AM
More Sauvignon Blanc questions Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 30-12-2004 11:14 PM
sauvignon blanc Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 21-12-2004 03:47 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Pinky Winemaking 3 30-07-2004 07:11 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Rob M Winemaking 5 30-07-2004 07:11 AM