Old 28-01-2006, 02:14 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sauvignon blanc

"Mike Tommasi" skrev i meddelandet
Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

Really, I wouldn´t (especially after MikeT had made a comment, and
MikeT´s knowledge about wines is damn near encyclopedical) post a
disagreement without checking up - from the horse´s mouth, as it were.

Dear Scandic friend

Since you have become a part-time resident of the "Sud-Est", you have
picked up some of that Marseillais (for an international audience: Texan)
gift for exageration: I know next to nothing about white Bordeaux... I do
not like most of them, and those that I do like tend to be severely
deformed by botrytis or excessive age :-0

Good friend Mike:
I spent two summers in the Republic of Ireland, at the tender and
impressionable age of 19 and 21.
I passed within kissing distance of the Blarney stone.
And I am well aware of your sweet tooth when it comes to wine.
But I really think you might like the SHL white ... if you haven´t tried it
already and found it wanting ...
Personally, I preferred it to some Sancerres (white of course) which I found
had an aggressive acidity.
The style is of course totally different, so comparing the one to the other
is a bit apples/pears.

And tonight, a white Bourgogne "severely deformed by ... excessive age".

Cheers

Till dess

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Old 30-01-2006, 11:22 AM posted to alt.food.wine

In message
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
wrote:

"Timothy Hartley" skrev i meddelandet
In message
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
wrote:

Hello;
No Mike, that is not so - as I pointed out, Smith haut Lafite is all
Sauvignon (95 % blanc, 5 % Gris)
and a lovely drink BTW, if pricey.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

According to Cocks & Feret planted with 90% Sauvignon blanç 5% gris &
5% Semillon - and therefore almost certainly blended in any year so,
as the lawyers say when they are being rude, with the utmost respect,
neither Mike's point nor mine is traduced by that example.

With all due respect - please view www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/ where you
will find that the white SHL from 1997 till 2002 in all cases have the same
mix - 95 blanc, 5 gris. The fact that they also cultivate semillion is
neither here nor there, as the domaine is large and has several other (no
doubt excellent) wines.

Really, I wouldn´t (especially after MikeT had made a comment, and MikeT´s
knowledge about wines is damn near encyclopedical) post a disagreement
without checking up - from the horse´s mouth, as it were.

Cheers!

Nils Gustaf

Point taken about some years - my humble apologies - I only went to
the horse's back end and we know what you get there, even if you don't
get kicked! However the point remains that semillon is planted andused
from time to time - see for example 2001 where the site you quote
http://www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/us...p_shl_B01.html
shows the full 5% of semillon used for the white Smith Haut Lafitte.
2004 seems to have been the same.

Cheers

Tim Hartley
Old 30-01-2006, 11:45 AM posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:

... However the point remains that semillon is planted and used
from time to time - see for example 2001 where the site you quote
http://www.smith-haut-lafitte.com/us...p_shl_B01.html
shows the full 5% of semillon used for the white Smith Haut Lafitte.
2004 seems to have been the same.

Ooops. My bad: I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing it out.
Apart from that, their Ch Cantelys Blanc contains regularly 50 % Semillion.
I have not had the pleasure of tasting that, though - I read some positive
taste notes about it in a Danish magazine a few months back.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

Old 01-02-2006, 06:11 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:

Nils, I believe it was Robert Mondavi who used "Fume Blanc"
first. others will correct me if I'm wrong.

100% correct, Dan. Mondavi coined the term for his dry SB
(making oblique reference to Pouilly-Fumé in the process) ...

JFTMOR: "Blanc fumé" *is* actually a synonym for sauvignon in the
Loire region.

M.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:12 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Salut/Hi Daisy,

le/on Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:42:15 +1300, tu disais/you said:-

Please tell me what is sauv.blanc called in France?

In France wines are mainly named by the region in which they are grown, the
trick therefore is to know which regions grow Sauvignon Blanc and Gris

Mike is right that Sancerre and Pouilly sur loire (where they call it
Pouilly-Fumé because of the smoky flint-like smell it can have).

But he didn't mention that Bergerac and Bordeaux whites also have mainly SBs
as well.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 AM posted to alt.food.wine

In message
Mike Tommasi wrote:

Ian Hoare wrote:
Mike is right that Sancerre and Pouilly sur loire (where they call it
Pouilly-Fumé because of the smoky flint-like smell it can have).

But he didn't mention that Bergerac and Bordeaux whites also have mainly SBs
as well.

Oh but I did in the next post... ;-)

cheers Ian

.... and heated debate ensued!

Tim Hartley

Any Recommendations for Sauvignon Blanc Kit?? arrassa Winemaking 12 18-02-2007 12:03 AM
More Sauvignon Blanc questions Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 30-12-2004 10:14 PM
sauvignon blanc Dan Emerson Winemaking 2 21-12-2004 02:47 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Pinky Winemaking 3 30-07-2004 07:11 AM
Oak in Sauvignon Blanc Rob M Winemaking 5 30-07-2004 07:11 AM