FoodBanter.com

-   -   Marcillac (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/79347-marcillac.html)

AyTee 19-01-2006 06:32 AM

Marcillac

A friend shared a bottle of this last weekend. I had never heard of
Marcillac or its grape -- fer servadou (aka mancois). I'm kicking
myself now for not remembering the label details, but it was a 1998
vintage. Color was garnet, similar to pinot noir perhaps, although the
light was dim so not sure. It had an unusual earthy, spicy, red berry
nose and palate with a green olive and roasted red pepper note. Does
this sound typical for Marcillac? I enjoyed it very much -- doubly so
for its uniquness.

Ian Hoare 21-01-2006 12:03 AM

Marcillac

Salut/Hi AyTee,

le/on 18 Jan 2006 22:32:58 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>A friend shared a bottle of this last weekend. I had never heard of
>Marcillac or its grape -- fer servadou (aka mancois). I'm kicking
>myself now for not remembering the label details, but it was a 1998
>vintage. Color was garnet, similar to pinot noir perhaps, although the
>light was dim so not sure. It had an unusual earthy, spicy, red berry
>nose and palate with a green olive and roasted red pepper note. Does
>this sound typical for Marcillac? I enjoyed it very much -- doubly so
>for its uniquness.

A wine made not very far from us here in France.

The leading grower is Jean-Luc Matha, a great bear of a man, making lovely
wine. I'm pretty sure you'll have had one of his. Another excellent grower
is Philippe Teulier.

The cave co-op also makes some good stuff as well, a little rounder and
perhaps almost sweeter - your roasted red pepper? That's the one we get from
our local wine shop.

Hope that help.
ATB
Ian

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

AyTee 21-01-2006 02:35 AM

Marcillac

Thanks, Ian. Yes, it was Matha. I will be on the lookout for it.