Posted to alt.food.wine
Aled Evans

Default Wine and Magnets

Has anyone had any experience of using a

magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine

in order to improve the taste?

Aled Evans
www.letsescape.co.uk
www.healthmagnet.ik.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley

In message >
"Aled Evans" > wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience of using a
>
> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>
> in order to improve the taste?
>
> Aled Evans
> www.letsescape.co.uk
> www.healthmagnet.ik.com

Unless you regularly drink wine containing iron filings it is
difficult to see how this could help. I have to say that walking
three times anti-clockwise round the table whilst waving a wand and
muttering Abracadabra is likely to be just as effective.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine
Clare

Don't be silly, I'm sure that the magnetic feild has the possibility of
freeing up the wine's Charkra, thus improving its taste. All jokes
aside, i cannot think of a possible scientific reason why this would
work. Although if somebody marketed it right i'm sure money could be
made from it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

You may want to check this out:

http://wineenhancer.net/

Posted to alt.food.wine
James Silverton

Aled wrote on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:39:11 -0000:

AE> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine

AE> in order to improve the taste?

Isn't this a perennial delusion that has been disproven many
times before. Even the once popular magnetic insoles for shoes
are likely to have more effect. What is there in wine that could
be affected by a ferro-magnet?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Clare

Lovely, informative site. Seriously though, i wouldn't believe it
unless it can be scientifically proven, and by that i mean serious
research papers on it.
You want to improve your wine, try sticking a copper coin or silver
spoon in it next time, at least there is some science behind that!

Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

In article >, says...

www.letsescape.co.uk
>>>www.healthmagnet.ik.com
>>>

>> Unless you regularly drink wine containing iron filings it is
>> difficult to see how this could help. I have to say that walking
>> three times anti-clockwise round the table whilst waving a wand and
>> muttering Abracadabra is likely to be just as effective.

>Make sure the wand is not ferromagnetic. Stainless steel or copper
>would be fine.
>

>--
>Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
>email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Mike,

I always choose a new French oak wand - seems to make a big difference, if
used judiciously! ;-)

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

In article >, says

www.letsescape.co.uk
>>> www.healthmagnet.ik.com
>>>

>>Unless you regularly drink wine containing iron filings it is
>>difficult to see how this could help. I have to say that walking
>>three times anti-clockwise round the table whilst waving a wand and
>>muttering Abracadabra is likely to be just as effective.
>>

>Ahh! There's your problem.
>
> You must walk backwards saying "Paul is Dead, Paul is Dead"
>
>Myron

I usually walk forewards, saying, "deaD si luaP!"

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

In article >, not.jim.silverton.at.comcast
..net says...

>Aled wrote on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:39:11 -0000:
>
> AE> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>
> AE> in order to improve the taste?
>
>Isn't this a perennial delusion that has been disproven many
>times before. Even the once popular magnetic insoles for shoes
>are likely to have more effect. What is there in wine that could
>be affected by a ferro-magnet?
>

> James Silverton
>Potomac, Maryland.

What if the grapes are crushed by someone wearing magnetic insoles?

Hunt

Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz

Aled Evans wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience of using a
>
> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>
> in order to improve the taste?

New scams for selling magnetic devices are coming around all of the
time, and have been since long before I was born. There are devices
claiming to cure or ease all sorts of health problems by being placed
on many areas of the body, in clothing, shoes, etc. There is a magnetic
device to clamp around a water pipe claiming to prevent deposits. There
is a device to clamp around a gasoline line claiming to increase the
the miles per gallon for your auto. I have never seen any proper
scientific tests that show that any of these things have a significant
effect other than a possible placebo one. Most testing organizations
will not even bother to test such devices anymore. Unfortunately, no
matter how unlikely the claims, many such devices remain on the market.
Federal regulators, with limited budgets in most countries, tend to
concentrate on the many things that can cause harm such as medications
with bad side effects, contaminated food, food additives etc. The more
people that complain to regulators, the more likely they will
investigate unlikely claims. It is up to the people making such claims
in sales literature to prove that the claims are true or to cease
making the claims. Beware of companies that use testimonials in their

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ronin

So, does anyone want to buy a magnetic codpiece??? :-)

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Aled Evans wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience of using a
>>
>> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>>
>> in order to improve the taste?

> New scams for selling magnetic devices are coming around all of the
> time, and have been since long before I was born. There are devices
> claiming to cure or ease all sorts of health problems by being placed
> on many areas of the body, in clothing, shoes, etc. There is a magnetic
> device to clamp around a water pipe claiming to prevent deposits. There
> is a device to clamp around a gasoline line claiming to increase the
> the miles per gallon for your auto. I have never seen any proper
> scientific tests that show that any of these things have a significant
> effect other than a possible placebo one. Most testing organizations
> will not even bother to test such devices anymore. Unfortunately, no
> matter how unlikely the claims, many such devices remain on the market.
> Federal regulators, with limited budgets in most countries, tend to
> concentrate on the many things that can cause harm such as medications
> with bad side effects, contaminated food, food additives etc. The more
> people that complain to regulators, the more likely they will
> investigate unlikely claims. It is up to the people making such claims
> in sales literature to prove that the claims are true or to cease
> making the claims. Beware of companies that use testimonials in their

Posted to alt.food.wine
graham

"Aled Evans" > wrote in message
> Has anyone had any experience of using a
>
> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>
> in order to improve the taste?

No! but if you take one of your magets and stick it up your arse, it might
improve your voice:-)

Posted to alt.food.wine
Martin Field

"Aled Evans" > wrote in message ...
> Has anyone had any experience of using a
>
> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>
> in order to improve the taste?
>
> Aled Evans
> www.letsescape.co.uk
> www.healthmagnet.ik.com

No - but here's a piece I wrote a few years back on the topic. It's in rtf as there are a couple of urls in it.

Cheers!
Martin

Magnetic wine magic?
Martin Field
I keep hearing about whiz-bang new products for wine, wine aerators, wine humidicribs, bottle gas-insertors, glasses designed for specific wines (the one for the cask (bag in box) riesling really works!) and so forth. The latest fad is for the wine magnetiser - these look like a sort of magnetised ashtray (remove the butts first) in which you place a bottle of your favourite wine to miraculously improve it - (i.e. in fact to prematurely age it) in minutes. Examples include the Wine Improver, the Wine Cellar Express and the Perfect Sommelier.

No I haven't tried them - I'm sceptical and I've got better things to do with my money. But others have and report positively - see The rage to age wine.

I have cheaper and more innovative ways to prematurely age my wine - here are a few. I align my bottles on a north-south axis on the night of a full moon. Some bottles I place under a rickety pyramid constructed out of an old packing case. One bottle that I had inadvertently situated next to a postcard from Stonehenge for a few minutes was positively breathtaking. A case of red I once kept in the car boot in the middle of summer on the way back from a northerly based vineyard improved so rapidly I had to toss it out.

A friend reports - from hospital - that his house - built under high voltage power lines - is wonderful for accelerating the drinkability of his wines. He hopes one day - if he gets well - to savour them. Next time I visit I'm going to ask him to smuggle a bottle into his next MRI scan as an experiment. In a similar vein another friend says he has had astonishing results by keeping a bottle of red in his brief case next to his mobile phone for an hour or two just before a business lunch.

My next experiments will involve exposure of wine to cosmic rays and consultation with a clairvoyant. For example: Me, "Is this bottle ready to drink now?" Clairvoyant, "Mmmm. Could be corked." Me, "What about this one?" Clairvoyant "2005 to 2007." Me "What about this?" Clairvoyant, "A tad tired. Have you tried the Wine De-Gausser? I have one here under my crystal ball somewhere."

Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz

graham wrote:
> "Aled Evans" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone had any experience of using a
> >
> > magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
> >
> > in order to improve the taste?
> >

> No! but if you take one of your magets and stick it up your arse, it might
> improve your voice:-)

Yes, if you used the magnet long enough as you suggested, you might
become a type of opera singer that is not known today. You might become
very rich by singing some old opera roles in a voice for which they
were written. For an example of what the magnet might do to your voice,
go to
http://www.cwdjr.net/ram/Moreschi_Ca...tican_1902.ram .
You will need a Real Player to hear this, but it will work on a good
dialup connection as well as broadband. I know this URL is safe because
I encoded the Real sound file from an analog capture and put it up on
the server that my domain is on.

Posted to alt.food.wine
graham

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> graham wrote:
>> "Aled Evans" > wrote in message
>> > Has anyone had any experience of using a
>> >
>> > magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>> >
>> > in order to improve the taste?
>> >

>> No! but if you take one of your magets and stick it up your arse, it
>> might
>> improve your voice:-)

> Yes, if you used the magnet long enough as you suggested, you might
> become a type of opera singer that is not known today. You might become
> very rich by singing some old opera roles in a voice for which they
> were written. For an example of what the magnet might do to your voice,
> go to
> http://www.cwdjr.net/ram/Moreschi_Ca...tican_1902.ram .
> You will need a Real Player to hear this, but it will work on a good
> dialup connection as well as broadband. I know this URL is safe because
> I encoded the Real sound file from an analog capture and put it up on
> the server that my domain is on.

I crossed my legs while playing that one<G>

Posted to alt.food.wine
greybeard

Some of you are just not taking this seriously enough.

I personally always make sure there is a very large magnet
under every glass of wine I serve.
The gravity from this large magnet also helps to keep the
wine in both decanter and glass until tipped over the lips,
and round the tongue, though the tonsils and past the lungs.

I understand the best place to appreciate the effect of this
large magnet on your wine is in the far north of Canada
near one of its poles.

Which may explain why I don't like every wine I drink. I live
nearly as far from Canada as you can, and not close enough
to the other pole to get full effect.

cheers greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine
Sean E. Slindee

"Aled Evans" > wrote in message
> Has anyone had any experience of using a
>
> magnetic coaster placed under a bottle of wine
>
> in order to improve the taste?
>
> Aled Evans

I'm sure this magic wine magnet has every bit as much research as the
magical wine storing temperature of 55 F...ZERO!

Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

"Clare" > wrote:

> Don't be silly, I'm sure that the magnetic feild has the
> possibility of freeing up the wine's Charkra, thus improving its
> taste. All jokes aside, i cannot think of a possible scientific
> reason why this would work. Although if somebody marketed it
> right i'm sure money could be made from it.

There *is* money made out of it. There are quite a few
magnetic/other gadgets around.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine
kenneth mccoy

While serving wine to my friends, I always wave my magic wand while
skipping counter-clockwise exactly five times while chanting " Owa Tajer
Kiam!". It works wonders!

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Timothy Hartley wrote:

> Unless you regularly drink wine containing iron filings it is
> difficult to see how this could help.

Well, Musigny is often described as tasting of iron filings. Do you
think I should place my '85 Comte de Vogue into a 4 T electromagnet?

Anxiously awaiting your reply,
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Sean E. Slindee wrote:

> I'm sure this magic wine magnet has every bit as much research as the
> magical wine storing temperature of 55 F...ZERO!

Sean, I agree with you that there is nothing magical about 55 F as a
storage temp (and as our Euro contributors point out, 55 F is far from a
Universal choice), but there is at least a scientific basis for
understanding the effects of temperature on wine aging, whereas there is
*none* for the (purported) effects of magnetism on wine.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
Timothy Hartley

In message >
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Timothy Hartley wrote:
>
>> Unless you regularly drink wine containing iron filings it is
>> difficult to see how this could help.

> Well, Musigny is often described as tasting of iron filings. Do you
> think I should place my '85 Comte de Vogue into a 4 T electromagnet?
>
> Anxiously awaiting your reply,
> Mark Lipton

I can only suggest that taste and content are not always the same
however I am quite prepared to relieve you of the wine in question if
you think it needs such drastic treatment before drinking it — I do so
hate to see a man suffer unnecessarily.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine
Sean E. Slindee

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Sean E. Slindee wrote:
>
>> I'm sure this magic wine magnet has every bit as much research as the
>> magical wine storing temperature of 55 F...ZERO!

> Sean, I agree with you that there is nothing magical about 55 F as a
> storage temp (and as our Euro contributors point out, 55 F is far from a
> Universal choice), but there is at least a scientific basis for
> understanding the effects of temperature on wine aging, whereas there is
> *none* for the (purported) effects of magnetism on wine.
>
> Mark Lipton

I would be interested in running a controlled experiment on the wine magnet
and give a report to the group, but I'm not willing to shell out the $50US
to purchase the thing. Any chance that the manufacturer would be willing to
send me a loaner to run this experiment?

Sean

Posted to alt.food.wine
Jose

> I would be interested in running a controlled experiment on the wine magnet
> and give a report to the group, but I'm not willing to shell out the $50US
> to purchase the thing. Any chance that the manufacturer would be willing to
> send me a loaner to run this experiment?

I'll buy the wine magnet to do the experiment, because I think it's very
important to have lots of empirical data. Can we get some wineries to
donate some wine? I expect the results to be very subtle, so I'd need
their finest wines to do the testing, of course.

Jose
Posted to alt.food.wine
Rick Brandt

Jose wrote:
> > I would be interested in running a controlled experiment on the
> > wine magnet and give a report to the group, but I'm not willing to
> > shell out the $50US to purchase the thing. Any chance that the
> > manufacturer would be willing to send me a loaner to run this
> > experiment?

> I'll buy the wine magnet to do the experiment, because I think it's
> very important to have lots of empirical data. Can we get some
> wineries to donate some wine? I expect the results to be very
> subtle, so I'd need their finest wines to do the testing, of course.
> Jose

Oh you're good!

Posted to alt.food.wine
Brian Boutel

Rick Brandt wrote:
> Jose wrote:
>
>>>I would be interested in running a controlled experiment on the
>>>wine magnet and give a report to the group, but I'm not willing to
>>>shell out the $50US to purchase the thing. Any chance that the
>>>manufacturer would be willing to send me a loaner to run this
>>>experiment?

>>I'll buy the wine magnet to do the experiment, because I think it's
>>very important to have lots of empirical data. Can we get some
>>wineries to donate some wine? I expect the results to be very
>>subtle, so I'd need their finest wines to do the testing, of course.
>>Jose

> Oh you're good!

An once you have decided that the magnet makes no difference, the next
hypothesis to test is that it depends on the phase of the moon, so you
will need fresh supplies of the fine wine every week for at least a month.

--brian

--
Wellington, New Zealand

"What's life? Life's easy. A quirk of matter. Nature's way of keeping
meat fresh."
Posted to alt.food.wine
Commander Bob

"Young Martle" > wrote in message

> You must walk backwards saying "Paul is Dead, Paul is Dead"
>
> Myron

On the other hand, I've heard that putting a COD in with a bottle of wine
can have some pretty interesting results, especially if the bottle is open.
Or maybe that's just in Newfoundland.

--
Commander Bob

Posted to alt.food.wine
Commander Bob

"Young Martle" > wrote in message

> Myron
>
> BTW; have a safe trip to Scottsdale :-)

Thanks Myron.
Actually I'm just back from a nice warm week in Tampa -Merlot with my steak,
and a Cuban cigar by the pool; still in shirtsleeves at 23:00.
(it was one of those 'too much Merlot' evenings, but that's a story for
another time)
This week I'm off to Buffalo, where it's certainly not going to be outdoor
smoking weather.
Do you know a wine that goes well with Buffalo Wings?

Next up is Nashville, where I've yet to discover a good cigar store, but
they always have a good selection of fine wine to have with dinner.

Scottsdale will be sometime later in Feb I expect.

--
Commander Bob