Posted to alt.food.wine
sami

Default Wine & Cheese

Really learning that cheese and wine are not a match made in heaven,
but am looking for a few good suggestions for pairings. Any matches
for dry whites? What about mid-weight reds? Am tasting Malbecs,
Gamays, and Dolcettos...would love to experiment with cheese too......

Posted to alt.food.wine
pavane

"sami" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Really learning that cheese and wine are not a match made in heaven,
> but am looking for a few good suggestions for pairings. Any matches
> for dry whites? What about mid-weight reds? Am tasting Malbecs,
> Gamays, and Dolcettos...would love to experiment with cheese too......

Here are some good places to start, but take a look yourself at
Google results for wine cheese pairing. Most people disagree on
these, of course. The trick is to have fun without going crazy
insisting that certain matches are good or bad.

pavane

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cpairing.htm

http://www.winesandrecipes.com/html/index-cheese.asp
requires registration but good info

http://www.inetours.com/PagesWT/Food_and_wine.html
some good links in this article

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/w...ine-cheese.htm
wines from Cahor are Malbecs...

Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"sami" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Really learning that cheese and wine are not a match made in heaven,
> but am looking for a few good suggestions for pairings. Any matches
> for dry whites?

Brie isn't too bad with some dry whites - particularly oak aged ones.

What about mid-weight reds? Am tasting Malbecs,
> Gamays, and Dolcettos...would love to experiment with cheese too......

I'm not big on cheese with wines, since I find that wine does more for
cheese than cheese does for wine. That said however, vintage port is a
pretty good match with many cheeses.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Well, for a light red (and I'm not sure I'd put Dolcetto in that
category- some are quite tannic- malbecs, too) I'd personally probably
go for something not too sharp and definitely not runny. Think young
Gouda, Edam, Morbier, Emmenthaler, Manchego. A bigger red might be
better for a sharper/older cheese like Hoch Ybrig, 5 year old Gouda,
Parmigiano Reggiano, or a good aged cheddar.

Dry white is a pretty big category. The match of Loire Sauvignon Blanc
and chevre is pretty classic. I think dry Riesling and Munster is also
a good match. I enjoyed Citeaux with white Burgundy this weekend.

Though I'm on record as liking Epoisses and red Burgundy, in general I
find
whites do better (or often, just less badly) with any cheese on the
stinky or
runny end of the spectrum.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Vermentino or Naragus and any white hard Italian cheese.

sami wrote:
> Really learning that cheese and wine are not a match made in heaven,
> but am looking for a few good suggestions for pairings. Any matches
> for dry whites? What about mid-weight reds? Am tasting Malbecs,
> Gamays, and Dolcettos...would love to experiment with cheese too......

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"DaleW" > skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
> Well, for a light red (and I'm not sure I'd put Dolcetto in that
> category- some are quite tannic- malbecs, too) I'd personally probably
> go for something not too sharp and definitely not runny. Think young
> Gouda, Edam, Morbier, Emmenthaler, Manchego.

Many of these will do very well with a not too oaky Chardonnay - this is
being explicit, but I am particularly fond of a Ladoix Clou d´Orges with
Emmenthaler and such-like.

> A bigger red might be
> better for a sharper/older cheese like Hoch Ybrig, 5 year old Gouda,
> Parmigiano Reggiano, or a good aged cheddar.

Is this where we mention Amarone with Parmigiano?

>... I think dry Riesling and Munster is also
> a good match. I enjoyed Citeaux with white Burgundy this weekend.

Possibly, but try a Gewurztraminer with Munster, OR Epoisse, OR, for that
matter, a Reblochon.

As somebody pointed out, the main thing is to have fun, right?

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

I cannot imagine red wines and cheese together unless olives
particpate...

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> "DaleW" > skrev i meddelandet
> oups.com...
> > Well, for a light red (and I'm not sure I'd put Dolcetto in that
> > category- some are quite tannic- malbecs, too) I'd personally probably
> > go for something not too sharp and definitely not runny. Think young
> > Gouda, Edam, Morbier, Emmenthaler, Manchego.

> Many of these will do very well with a not too oaky Chardonnay - this is
> being explicit, but I am particularly fond of a Ladoix Clou d´Orges with
> Emmenthaler and such-like.
>
> > A bigger red might be
> > better for a sharper/older cheese like Hoch Ybrig, 5 year old Gouda,
> > Parmigiano Reggiano, or a good aged cheddar.

> Is this where we mention Amarone with Parmigiano?
>
> >... I think dry Riesling and Munster is also
> > a good match. I enjoyed Citeaux with white Burgundy this weekend.

> Possibly, but try a Gewurztraminer with Munster, OR Epoisse, OR, for that
> matter, a Reblochon.
>
> As somebody pointed out, the main thing is to have fun, right?
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils Gustaf
>
> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ronin

"sami" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Really learning that cheese and wine are not a match made in heaven,
> but am looking for a few good suggestions for pairings. Any matches
> for dry whites? What about mid-weight reds? Am tasting Malbecs,
> Gamays, and Dolcettos...would love to experiment with cheese too......

Proving once again that taste is in the mouth of the taster, I am personally
a big fan of fat, juicy reds like old vine Zinfandels and Petit Syrahs with
sheep cheeses like Manchego and so on. On the other hand, the blues with
vintage Port is OK, but no whing-dinger, to me...

Posted to alt.food.wine
Leo Bueno

With respect to *red* wine and cheese pairings, there is empirical
evidence that the much touted match between wine and cheese is
bull$hit--as are many other rules of thumb in the wine industry.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...IGFFD8IBQ1.DTL

On 8 Jan 2006 11:39:57 -0800, "sami" > wrote:

>Really learning that cheese and wine are not a match made in heaven,
>but am looking for a few good suggestions for pairings. Any matches
>for dry whites? What about mid-weight reds? Am tasting Malbecs,
>Gamays, and Dolcettos...would love to experiment with cheese too......

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Leo Bueno,

le/on Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:03:45 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>With respect to *red* wine and cheese pairings, there is empirical
>evidence that the much touted match between wine and cheese is
>bull$hit--as are many other rules of thumb in the wine industry.
>
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...IGFFD8IBQ1.DTL

I took part in a wine cheese matching experiment for "Wine" magazine that
cast doubt on the cheese/red wine partnership about 20 years ago, Leo. The
article was to be called
"Perfect partners"

It ended up being called "Perfect Partners?"

Mind you, they didn't include any of the cheeses that I reckon to be a half
way decent match with red wines.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Cheese and wine Wang Xu General Cooking 24 08-05-2012 09:41 PM
Cheese and wine Steve Pope General Cooking 6 08-05-2012 08:59 PM
Pairing cheese-wine Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 23 12-12-2008 03:02 PM
Wine Cheese Tasting lotusart Wine 28 06-08-2004 08:04 PM
On cheese and wine Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 4 06-10-2003 09:37 PM