Posted to alt.food.wine
cofarb

Default 1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico?

I found a bottle of Castello di San Polo in Rosso Chianti Classico Riserva
1982 in my basement. It's probably been there since the late 1980s. The
basement is cool, dark, not-too-humid, not-too-dry. Is it worthy of a
special party with a few wine-lovers or is it likely to be dreadful? (Or
should I perhaps hold onto it even longer?)

Recommendations/advice appreciated. (I have a really aggressive spam filter
but I try to cull legit emails. I will definitely look for responses to the
newsgroup.)

thanks,
cofarb

Posted to alt.food.wine

Though 1982 was a great year...

Probably past its prime, and maybe even well past.

Chiantis don't age all that well, even Riservas.

Brunello is a different animal...

cofarb wrote:
> I found a bottle of Castello di San Polo in Rosso Chianti Classico Riserva
> 1982 in my basement. It's probably been there since the late 1980s. The
> basement is cool, dark, not-too-humid, not-too-dry. Is it worthy of a
> special party with a few wine-lovers or is it likely to be dreadful? (Or
> should I perhaps hold onto it even longer?)
>
> Recommendations/advice appreciated. (I have a really aggressive spam filter
> but I try to cull legit emails. I will definitely look for responses to the
> newsgroup.)
>
> thanks,
> cofarb

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Don't know San Polo. But even for best producers, 23 years is pushing
it for most CCRs. It certainly won't hurt you, and it might surprise
you. Please report when you try it!

Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg

Very nice winery I believe in Gaiole or Radda. Stacole was their importer,
distributed by Atlantic Wine & Spirits in Maryland and DC. Even though
Atlantic had at least 5 Chianti's exported by DeGrazia, as wine manager we
added the wine to portfolio because it was available year round and it was
well balanced, and priced nice(Atlantic had the lowest mark up of all the
wholesalers I dealt with in my wine career. The owner didn't like inventory
so were aggressive in getting orders. My goal was to match the money to be
collected upon delivery to money Atlantic would gave to pay for the wines
and shipping, so when the wine hit the warehouse what was left was profit.
This worked as planned at least 40% of the time and was below the owners
inventory threshold and being bulled headed about this I was told to move
on. We had a limited number of San Polo's Cetenaia their super Tuscan which
mainly sold to retailers who supported our program.

I'm sorry even in 82 the wines were not tannic fruit bombs, but ready to
drink. Its possible because of good storage, the wine with some pecorino or
by itself would have a great nose and light fruit, a beauty that becomes a
dowager.

The winery was owned and managed by Germans. About 5 years ago, the owners
decide to close the winery. The general manager, Herr Volkmer was going to
keep producing and selling the wine but with another name and label. Last I
heard there were problems with the estate's grapes and the GM now owner had
other projects. I think every wholesaler I dealt with after Atlantic had
access to San Polo. Stacole placed the wine in New York- New Jersey,
Georgia, Florida and New England, so decent supplies wee warehoused in the
US. As far as I know the wines did well in restaurants in these states
because it was food-friendly.

Please forgive this geezer rambling on..................
"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Don't know San Polo. But even for best producers, 23 years is pushing
> it for most CCRs. It certainly won't hurt you, and it might surprise
> you. Please report when you try it!

Posted to alt.food.wine
cofarb

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond. I will open that
bad boy this evening and let my tastebuds be the final arbiter. If nothing
else, even a decent vinegar has its place in my kitchen. I'll post again
with my unsophisticated review.

Thanks again,
cofarb

"Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" > wrote in message
> Very nice winery I believe in Gaiole or Radda. Stacole was their
> importer,
> distributed by Atlantic Wine & Spirits in Maryland and DC. Even though
> Atlantic had at least 5 Chianti's exported by DeGrazia, as wine manager we
> added the wine to portfolio because it was available year round and it was
> well balanced, and priced nice(Atlantic had the lowest mark up of all the
> wholesalers I dealt with in my wine career. The owner didn't like
> inventory
> so were aggressive in getting orders. My goal was to match the money to
> be
> collected upon delivery to money Atlantic would gave to pay for the wines
> and shipping, so when the wine hit the warehouse what was left was profit.
> This worked as planned at least 40% of the time and was below the owners
> inventory threshold and being bulled headed about this I was told to move
> on. We had a limited number of San Polo's Cetenaia their super Tuscan
> which
> mainly sold to retailers who supported our program.
>
> I'm sorry even in 82 the wines were not tannic fruit bombs, but ready to
> drink. Its possible because of good storage, the wine with some pecorino
> or
> by itself would have a great nose and light fruit, a beauty that becomes a
> dowager.
>
> The winery was owned and managed by Germans. About 5 years ago, the
> owners
> decide to close the winery. The general manager, Herr Volkmer was going
> keep producing and selling the wine but with another name and label. Last
> heard there were problems with the estate's grapes and the GM now owner
> had
> other projects. I think every wholesaler I dealt with after Atlantic had
> access to San Polo. Stacole placed the wine in New York- New Jersey,
> Georgia, Florida and New England, so decent supplies wee warehoused in the
> US. As far as I know the wines did well in restaurants in these states
> because it was food-friendly.
>
> Please forgive this geezer rambling on..................
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Don't know San Polo. But even for best producers, 23 years is pushing
>> it for most CCRs. It certainly won't hurt you, and it might surprise
>> you. Please report when you try it!

Posted to alt.food.wine
cofarb

Default Yuch.

A friend and I sampled the wine in question and found it to be pretty yuchy.
Not really vinegar but no longer red wine either.

Back to the more recent vintages. Thanks for the advice.

cofarb

> "Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" > wrote in message
>> Very nice winery I believe in Gaiole or Radda. Stacole was their
>> importer,
>> distributed by Atlantic Wine & Spirits in Maryland and DC. Even though
>> Atlantic had at least 5 Chianti's exported by DeGrazia, as wine manager
>> we
>> added the wine to portfolio because it was available year round and it
>> was
>> well balanced, and priced nice(Atlantic had the lowest mark up of all the
>> wholesalers I dealt with in my wine career. The owner didn't like
>> inventory
>> so were aggressive in getting orders. My goal was to match the money to
>> be
>> collected upon delivery to money Atlantic would gave to pay for the wines
>> and shipping, so when the wine hit the warehouse what was left was
>> profit.
>> This worked as planned at least 40% of the time and was below the owners
>> inventory threshold and being bulled headed about this I was told to
>> move
>> on. We had a limited number of San Polo's Cetenaia their super Tuscan
>> which
>> mainly sold to retailers who supported our program.
>>
>> I'm sorry even in 82 the wines were not tannic fruit bombs, but ready to
>> drink. Its possible because of good storage, the wine with some pecorino
>> or
>> by itself would have a great nose and light fruit, a beauty that becomes
>> dowager.
>>
>> The winery was owned and managed by Germans. About 5 years ago, the
>> owners
>> decide to close the winery. The general manager, Herr Volkmer was going
>> keep producing and selling the wine but with another name and label.
>> Last I
>> heard there were problems with the estate's grapes and the GM now owner
>> had
>> other projects. I think every wholesaler I dealt with after Atlantic had
>> access to San Polo. Stacole placed the wine in New York- New Jersey,
>> Georgia, Florida and New England, so decent supplies wee warehoused in
>> the
>> US. As far as I know the wines did well in restaurants in these states
>> because it was food-friendly.
>>
>> Please forgive this geezer rambling on..................
>> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Don't know San Polo. But even for best producers, 23 years is pushing
>>> it for most CCRs. It certainly won't hurt you, and it might surprise
>>> you. Please report when you try it!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Told ya so!

cofarb wrote:
> A friend and I sampled the wine in question and found it to be pretty yuchy.
> Not really vinegar but no longer red wine either.
>
> Back to the more recent vintages. Thanks for the advice.
>
> cofarb
>

> > "Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" > wrote in message
> >> Very nice winery I believe in Gaiole or Radda. Stacole was their
> >> importer,
> >> distributed by Atlantic Wine & Spirits in Maryland and DC. Even though
> >> Atlantic had at least 5 Chianti's exported by DeGrazia, as wine manager
> >> we
> >> added the wine to portfolio because it was available year round and it
> >> was
> >> well balanced, and priced nice(Atlantic had the lowest mark up of all the
> >> wholesalers I dealt with in my wine career. The owner didn't like
> >> inventory
> >> so were aggressive in getting orders. My goal was to match the money to
> >> be
> >> collected upon delivery to money Atlantic would gave to pay for the wines
> >> and shipping, so when the wine hit the warehouse what was left was
> >> profit.
> >> This worked as planned at least 40% of the time and was below the owners
> >> inventory threshold and being bulled headed about this I was told to
> >> move
> >> on. We had a limited number of San Polo's Cetenaia their super Tuscan
> >> which
> >> mainly sold to retailers who supported our program.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry even in 82 the wines were not tannic fruit bombs, but ready to
> >> drink. Its possible because of good storage, the wine with some pecorino
> >> or
> >> by itself would have a great nose and light fruit, a beauty that becomes
> >> dowager.
> >>
> >> The winery was owned and managed by Germans. About 5 years ago, the
> >> owners
> >> decide to close the winery. The general manager, Herr Volkmer was going
> >> keep producing and selling the wine but with another name and label.
> >> Last I
> >> heard there were problems with the estate's grapes and the GM now owner
> >> had
> >> other projects. I think every wholesaler I dealt with after Atlantic had
> >> access to San Polo. Stacole placed the wine in New York- New Jersey,
> >> Georgia, Florida and New England, so decent supplies wee warehoused in
> >> the
> >> US. As far as I know the wines did well in restaurants in these states
> >> because it was food-friendly.
> >>
> >> Please forgive this geezer rambling on..................
> >> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg

One never knows do one---Even with great storage the wine would be fading
but that how you learn but the experience not from the advise by addled wine
geeks like me. I still recall drinking an Antinori CCR Marchese 1957 in
1983 @ a restaurant in Florence. It was perfect-not 100 points but just
great with my meal & that's all you can ask for..........

CHianti Classico NilsGLindgren Wine 5 06-11-2011 10:03 AM
2001 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva Il Poggio Bi!! Wine 0 21-10-2010 02:55 PM
TN: Chianti Classico and NZ SB DaleW Wine 0 06-10-2007 06:16 PM
'Chianti' Riserva? UC[_1_] Wine 61 20-03-2007 10:29 PM
Chianti Classico Tasting.. Great Chianti's and an AMAZING Vin Santo Wildetuinn Wine 0 15-09-2006 08:06 AM