FoodBanter.com

-   -   1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico? (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/78347-1982-riserva-san-polo.html)

cofarb 06-01-2006 12:10 AM

1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico?

I found a bottle of Castello di San Polo in Rosso Chianti Classico Riserva
1982 in my basement. It's probably been there since the late 1980s. The
basement is cool, dark, not-too-humid, not-too-dry. Is it worthy of a
special party with a few wine-lovers or is it likely to be dreadful? (Or
should I perhaps hold onto it even longer?)

Recommendations/advice appreciated. (I have a really aggressive spam filter
but I try to cull legit emails. I will definitely look for responses to the
newsgroup.)

thanks,
cofarb

[email protected] 06-01-2006 12:36 AM

1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico?

Though 1982 was a great year...

Probably past its prime, and maybe even well past.

Chiantis don't age all that well, even Riservas.

Brunello is a different animal...

DaleW 06-01-2006 03:45 AM

1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico?

Don't know San Polo. But even for best producers, 23 years is pushing
it for most CCRs. It certainly won't hurt you, and it might surprise
you. Please report when you try it!

Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg 06-01-2006 09:44 AM

1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico?

Very nice winery I believe in Gaiole or Radda. Stacole was their importer,
distributed by Atlantic Wine & Spirits in Maryland and DC. Even though
Atlantic had at least 5 Chianti's exported by DeGrazia, as wine manager we
added the wine to portfolio because it was available year round and it was
well balanced, and priced nice(Atlantic had the lowest mark up of all the
wholesalers I dealt with in my wine career. The owner didn't like inventory
so were aggressive in getting orders. My goal was to match the money to be
collected upon delivery to money Atlantic would gave to pay for the wines
and shipping, so when the wine hit the warehouse what was left was profit.
This worked as planned at least 40% of the time and was below the owners
inventory threshold and being bulled headed about this I was told to move
on. We had a limited number of San Polo's Cetenaia their super Tuscan which
mainly sold to retailers who supported our program.

I'm sorry even in 82 the wines were not tannic fruit bombs, but ready to
drink. Its possible because of good storage, the wine with some pecorino or
by itself would have a great nose and light fruit, a beauty that becomes a
dowager.

The winery was owned and managed by Germans. About 5 years ago, the owners
decide to close the winery. The general manager, Herr Volkmer was going to
keep producing and selling the wine but with another name and label. Last I
heard there were problems with the estate's grapes and the GM now owner had
other projects. I think every wholesaler I dealt with after Atlantic had
access to San Polo. Stacole placed the wine in New York- New Jersey,
Georgia, Florida and New England, so decent supplies wee warehoused in the
US. As far as I know the wines did well in restaurants in these states
because it was food-friendly.

Please forgive this geezer rambling on..................
oups.com...

cofarb 06-01-2006 02:32 PM

1982 Riserva San Polo Chianti Classico?

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond. I will open that
bad boy this evening and let my tastebuds be the final arbiter. If nothing
else, even a decent vinegar has its place in my kitchen. I'll post again
with my unsophisticated review.

Thanks again,
cofarb

"Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

cofarb 07-01-2006 02:13 PM

Yuch.

A friend and I sampled the wine in question and found it to be pretty yuchy.
Not really vinegar but no longer red wine either.

Back to the more recent vintages. Thanks for the advice.

[...]

oups.com...

Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg 07-01-2006 09:35 PM

Yuch.

One never knows do one---Even with great storage the wine would be fading
but that how you learn but the experience not from the advise by addled wine
geeks like me. I still recall drinking an Antinori CCR Marchese 1957 in
1983 @ a restaurant in Florence. It was perfect-not 100 points but just
great with my meal & that's all you can ask for..........
"cofarb" wrote in message

[...]

oups.com...