Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Vintages of Burgundy

I have not purchased red Burgundy in several years. I am wondering
what opinions you might have on the best vintages since the year 2000
and any particulary good bottles you know of.

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Burgundy is probably the hardest region to get consensus on, as what
folks look for vary widely. But my personal opinions that mostly seem
to match CW include:
2000- rather early drinking vintage, but doing quite well right now.
Wouldn't buy to store, but as a non-hyped vintage there are some values
in the "drink now" category.
2001- in general much better in the Cote de Nuits than the Cote de
Beaune. Again, not as hyped as the 2002s, some good CdN values.
2002-excellent vintage top to bottom. But as word spread how good, most
of the top names sold out &/or soared in price.
2003- I've tasted little, but a very hot vintage that some love and
some hate. Very popular with the "I hate acidity" crowd. Small crop &
weak dollar led to very high prices in US.
2004- really don't know anyone who has tasted post-malo.

Hard to offer specific suggestions- if one's tastes are closer to say
Mr. Rovani, my suggestions are generally useless. But if you indicate
(a) what you have liked in past, (b) price range, & (c) what market
you're in*, I'm sure several of us will come up with suggestions.

As a generality, as we approach the Jan-March "closeout season", I'll
be looking to cherry pick good 2000s for drinking now, good 2001 CdN
1ers for the future, and probably low-end 2002s as prices are too high
for me on the name 1ers and GCs.

Dale
* unlike Bordeaux or non-cult CAs, most Burgundy is produced in fairly
small quantities, and one cannot find every wine in almost every
region, like you can with say Lagrange, Leoville Poyferre, Ch.
Montelena, or Insignia.