Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

Default awful Beychevelle

Hi all
For a modest new year's eve dinner with turkey breast fillet, baked potatoes
and a Waldorf salad I opened a bottle of Ch. Beychevelle 1998.
Ouch!
Even the cork stunk, the wine was pure manure.. My first, and hopefully the
last encounter with a serious attack of what seems to be Brett.
Funny thing is that 5 previous bottles from the same case didn't show any
trace of that. How is it possible?
Had to get a different one, a Ch. de Ségure 2003 from Fitou - far better, of
course. Not bad at all for a low priced alternative.
Happy new Year to everybody!
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message
> Hi all
> For a modest new year's eve dinner with turkey breast fillet, baked
> potatoes and a Waldorf salad I opened a bottle of Ch. Beychevelle 1998.
> Ouch!
> Even the cork stunk, the wine was pure manure.. My first, and hopefully
> the last encounter with a serious attack of what seems to be Brett.
> Funny thing is that 5 previous bottles from the same case didn't show any
> trace of that. How is it possible?

Hi, Anders -

I suspect you got a massive dose of TCA from a bad cork rather than Brett.
Of course it's possible that just the one bottle (hopefully no more!) came
from a different lot or barrel, but I'd say it's extremely unlikely that
there was a batch change in the middle of your case.

Do I hear another vote for Stelvin? :^)

Gott Nytt År!

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Santiago

"Tom S" > wrote in
:

> I suspect you got a massive dose of TCA from a bad cork rather than
> Brett. Of course it's possible that just the one bottle (hopefully no
> more!) came from a different lot or barrel, but I'd say it's extremely
> unlikely that there was a batch change in the middle of your case.

Hi Tom,

I think this is quite unlikely. I cannot speak for Beychevelle, but I think
the standard procedure in Bordeaux is mixing all the wine from different
barrels into a coupage, put them in stainless steel vats (filter and fining
discretionally) and then bottle.

I do not think the wine goes from the barrel to the bottle in such large
wineries as those from Bordeaux. It looks to a cork issue to me.

Here we had two beautiful bottles of Leoville Barton 2001. Magnificent, if
too young.

Best from 2006. We europeans manage to arrive before you americans year in,
year out. ;-)
Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"Santiago" > wrote in message
.. .
> Best from 2006. We europeans manage to arrive before you americans year
> in,
> year out. ;-)

But we _leave_ the best years later than you! ;^D

¡Prospero Año Nuevo!

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

"Santiago" > skrev i melding
.. .
> "Tom S" > wrote in
> :
>>
>> I suspect you got a massive dose of TCA from a bad cork rather than
>> Brett. ...
>>

> Hi Tom,

> .... It looks to a cork issue to me.

Hi both!
I'd agree to what you say about it being a bad cork were it not that I think
I'm quite TCA insensitive... :-) The dose must really have been massive in
this case! Normally, a tainted wine tastes 'empty' to me, i.e. no or little
fruit. Retasting the wine today before pouring it down the drain it was
rather sour, btw, but the barnyard was still prominent, but perhaps not
quite as much horses..t as yesterday... :-)
Anders

[TN] '61 Beychevelle Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 23-09-2012 10:05 PM
[TN] '61 Beychevelle Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 17-10-2011 01:41 PM
TN Ch Beychevelle 1975 Tom S Wine 2 11-10-2004 04:47 PM
1975 Beychevelle Ron Lel Wine 11 09-07-2004 06:25 PM
TN: 1999 Beychevelle Jaybert41 Wine 5 18-06-2004 06:13 PM