Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WS Top 100 -- just for yuks

These Top 100 lists tend to be rather yawn-inducing, especialy now
that VH-1 runs Top 100 specials on every goofy moment in entertainment
history. Still, it's interesting to see what the Speculator judges
picked as their wines of the year.

I usually have a few wines that show up on their list, more due to my
taste than to their reviews. I'll cop to getting the '97 Solaia
because they praised it so highly, but I got it before they chose it
as #1 Wine of the Year. Here's what I've got on this year's list:

#8 1999 Banfi Poggio all' Oro Riserva Brunello

#22 2003 Grand Veneur CdP Les Origines

#53 2003 Vieux Telegraphe CdP

#91 2002 Mt. Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Creek Shiraz

I have a '99 Frescobaldi Castelgiacondo Brunello, but not the Ripe al
Convento Riserva they chose as #23. Tasted a few others on the list,
including #80, the 2001 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre, but I'm still
working on what's left of my '97 and 2000 PdT.

Okay, I outed myself. Anyone else want to share what wines of theirs
made the WS list?

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 30-Dec-2005, wrote:

> These Top 100 lists tend to be rather yawn-inducing, especialy now
> that VH-1 runs Top 100 specials on every goofy moment in entertainment
> history. Still, it's interesting to see what the Speculator judges
> picked as their wines of the year.
>
> I usually have a few wines that show up on their list, more due to my
> taste than to their reviews. I'll cop to getting the '97 Solaia
> because they praised it so highly, but I got it before they chose it
> as #1 Wine of the Year. Here's what I've got on this year's list:
>
> #8 1999 Banfi Poggio all' Oro Riserva Brunello
>
> #22 2003 Grand Veneur CdP Les Origines
>
> #53 2003 Vieux Telegraphe CdP
>
> #91 2002 Mt. Langi Ghiran Billi Billi Creek Shiraz
>
> I have a '99 Frescobaldi Castelgiacondo Brunello, but not the Ripe al
> Convento Riserva they chose as #23. Tasted a few others on the list,
> including #80, the 2001 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre, but I'm still
> working on what's left of my '97 and 2000 PdT.
>
> Okay, I outed myself. Anyone else want to share what wines of theirs
> made the WS list?

I agree, the top 100 lists are a bit redundant anymore and this year's WS
Top 100 didn't inspire much confidence in their selecting ability.... that
being said,

--- I snagged the Joseph Phelps Insignia (on futures, well before it was
picked as #1) because I buy it every year
--- #7 Lewis Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2002
--- #10 Ch. d'Yquem 2001 (also because I buy it whenever I can)
--- #32 Rosemount GSM 2001 (also because I buy it whenever I can)
--- #60 Damilano Barolo 2001 (my wife buys a lot of Barolo)
--- #69 Fairview Goats do Roam Red
--- #80 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre (We regularly buy this for everyday
consumption)
--- #83 Perrin & Fils CdP Les Sinards

I'm happy to say that with the exception of the Perrin & Fils CdP, I've not
purchased any of these since the top 100 came out.... and the CdP was on
sale so I had to try it.

The sad part of this is that, even being in the business, I've not even
heard of maybe 30% of their picks.... which shows that it really is a big
world after all!

Cheers,
Gary