Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus

Default Life is Good

After a few months languishing in a furnished apartment in Sherman TX
watching my new home under construction, I'm now moved in (almost) and
have been struggling (dirty, thankless job but someone has to do
it...) to regain la dolce vita or whatever they call it in N. Texas.

Christmas dinner, as I noted previously, was a wonderful prime rib
with boursin pop-overs and sugar peas. The first choice of wine was
Ridge Monte Bello '94, and once again I learned the wonders of what
happens to wine when we let it set for a couple of years. Deep,
viscous, long-legged, and wonderful wine. Big brambly and dark cherry
nose followed by a warm mouth-filling load of dark, fruit. A treat
just to think about it as it finished.

First mail delivery after the weekend and holiday for the postal
service included a letter from William-Selyems notifying me that I'm
almost on "the List" and should make it by Spring. Have to save my
pennies to purchase my allotment.

Then, yesterday a trip to the Big City and it's humongous Big Airport
(DFW) to pick up mom-in-law from her holiday visit to other daughter.
Enroute, stopped at Whole Foods Market for some quality
groceries--we'd learned to love Whole Foods in Colorado but in the
heartland of N. Texas it would have a higher level of necessity since
a lot of really, really good stuff isn't on the short list for folks
who prefer meat/potatoes (gray and boiled/smashed).

What I wasn't ready for was a huge wine department! Great selection,
well organized, from loads of volume wines around the $10 price point
all the way up to a Ch. Petrus for a paltry $1599. There was a '97
Monte Bello for $129.

Still better news was a holiday sale of whole or mixed cases at 20%
off.

Yeah, life is good.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> There was a '97
> Monte Bello for $129.
>
> Still better news was a holiday sale of whole or mixed cases at 20%
> off.

Hi, Ed -

May I assume you squeezed some of that '97 Ridge into that case? That's a
good price for a fine wine from an excellent vintage.

I may have to visit North Texas when that wine matures... ;^)

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:52:29 GMT, Ed Rasimus
> wrote:

>What I wasn't ready for was a huge wine department! Great selection,
>well organized, from loads of volume wines around the $10 price point
>all the way up to a Ch. Petrus for a paltry $1599. There was a '97
>Monte Bello for $129.

Around here we call them Whole Paycheck. But yeah, their wine
departments are pretty great, if a tad overpriced. Usually, they're a
buck or two higher than other wine shops in town.

>Still better news was a holiday sale of whole or mixed cases at 20% off.

Dear North Seattle Store Manager:

I hear your store in DFW is offering whole or mixed cases at
20% off. Whadaya say you cut us in on the action?

Yer pal,

>Yeah, life is good.

Darn right!

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine
Robert

I think all the Whole Foods must be offing that.

Same here in Atlanta. 20% off a case through December 31.