Posted to alt.food.wine
Joseph Coulter

Default colored glassware

I had not experienced this for some time and was shocked at how the
experienceo f a wine can be diminished by drinking form colored (in the
case red) glassware. the wine in question was fairly ordinary (I picked it
because I knew my hosts would probably pour it and would not appreciate a
Grand Cru wine) it was a Cheverney 2003 nice light weight wine for a pork
roast served with Blue cheese (!!!) on top I was not warned abuot the
cheese though honestly the best thing I could think of to do with it was
push it aside, It did nothing for the pork and was just nasty with the
wine.

Oh well they are neighbors and generally nice folks so we all smiled. and
wished Happy New Year/Merry Christmas type thoughts.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:
> I had not experienced this for some time and was shocked at how the
> experienceo f a wine can be diminished by drinking form colored (in the
> case red) glassware. the wine in question was fairly ordinary (I picked it
> because I knew my hosts would probably pour it and would not appreciate a
> Grand Cru wine) it was a Cheverney 2003 nice light weight wine for a pork
> roast served with Blue cheese (!!!) on top I was not warned abuot the
> cheese though honestly the best thing I could think of to do with it was
> push it aside, It did nothing for the pork and was just nasty with the
> wine.

Yes, vision can prejudice our other senses. For example, consider meat
colored with green food color. In the case of wine, the modern notion
is that one should use a very clear glass. This may help evaluate the
color of the wine, but, as you found, it can prejudice other senses.
However if you had a blind person at the meal, he or she likely would
have noticed nothing unusual about the wine. Using clear glasses for
drinking wine with a meal is a fairly recent concept. If you go back
about 100 years and earlier, the glass was often considered as a
"canvas" for decoration that might include gold, cutting, engraving,
and enamel - sometimes even jewels. I have several antique wine
glasses, and the best old glass from Bohemia such as Moser and from the
Venice region often is highly decorated. For evaluation of the color of
a wine, I find that always using a standard amount in the same pattern
of clear glass gives the best results. But when it comes time to pour
the wine for a meal, I have now trained myself so that decorated glass
does not bother me. I find the shape of the glass, in extreme cases, to
be more important - at least in extremes such a serving a fine mature
Burgundy in a full shot glass. However, I would not serve wine to
guests in decorated glasses, without first asking if they wish it,
since the effect you mention might bother them.

Posted to alt.food.wine
AyTee

We have some decorated glasses -- painted, etched, etc. -- that we use
on occasion. I have to say that, although I do not really notice any
adverse effect on the perceived taste of the wine, I am still
prejudiced against them. But what the hell, it is a festive day -- why
not dress it up a bit.

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine
Joseph Coulter

"AyTee" > wrote in news:1135579095.269636.107130
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> We have some decorated glasses -- painted, etched, etc. -- that we use
> on occasion. I have to say that, although I do not really notice any
> adverse effect on the perceived taste of the wine, I am still
> prejudiced against them. But what the hell, it is a festive day -- why
> not dress it up a bit.
>
> Andy

I guess it was not so much the taste as the lack of visual on the wine that
sort of grew into a global thing.

Give me clear crystal it just works.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

antique glassware Rema General Cooking 1 16-05-2008 02:21 PM
Glassware N2310D Winemaking 4 18-12-2006 11:33 PM
Speaking of glassware... Tom S Wine 12 22-04-2005 05:01 PM
Riedel "O" Glassware Cwdjrx _ Wine 29 23-06-2004 09:29 AM
Glassware storage Den Murray Cooking Equipment 2 30-11-2003 04:04 PM