Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default Haut Batailley 1994

Hello;
I'd like to know when HB '94 drinks well.
Cheers!
Nils Gustaf

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> Hello;
> I'd like to know when HB '94 drinks well.

I have not had this wine. Michael Broadbent tasted it early on, rated
it as 3 out of 5 star, and suggested drinking soon, in his 2002 book
Vintage Wine. He called it pleasant, easy, open, agreeable, and not
serious. If Broadbent is even close to correct, the wine likely needs
drinking without delay. If I had more than one bottle, I would open one
at once. Let us know how it is.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > skrev i melding
> Hello;
> I'd like to know when HB '94 drinks well.
> Cheers!
> Nils Gustaf

You haven't drunk up yet? Poor man... This bottle will be a disaster - mail
to me for immediate destruction (empty bottle will be returned as proof of
receipt).

Jokes aside, I don't think you should keep it any length of time.

:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Anders Tørneskog" > skrev i meddelandet

> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > skrev i melding
>> Hello;
>> I'd like to know when HB '94 drinks well. Cheers!
>> Nils Gustaf

> You haven't drunk up yet? Poor man... This bottle will be a disaster -
> mail to me for immediate destruction (empty bottle will be returned as
> proof of receipt).
>
> Jokes aside, I don't think you should keep it any length of time.

Hello Anders;
Our esteemed group mate with the unpronouncable monniker cwdjrxyz agrees.
Luckily, I got it (fairly) cheap and way under the auction price as reported
in Decanter (£220 IB for a case of 12, while I paid EU 28 for two bottles).
We already had an HB '97 about a year ago - it was very approachable - I
think Hugh Johnsson also thought it would be for relatively immediate
drinking. Begs the question if Haut Batailley tends towards a lighter style,
or do they do heavies for serious cellar time some years?
What´s your two cents on this?

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> Begs the question if Haut Batailley tends towards a lighter style,
> or do they do heavies for serious cellar time some years?
> What´s your two cents on this?

Looking at several Broadbent descriptions of Haut Batailley over the
years, this wine has been very variable. He rates the 82 as 3-star
only, being rather lean in 2001. The 83 was 4 star in 1999. The 85 was
rated a top 5 star in 1994. The 88 was rated as a potential 3 star in
1997, with a peak date of 2010-20. The 99 was rated 4 star in 2000 with
a peak date of 2006-16. The 2000 was rated as a potential 5 star in
2001 and called a medium term charmer. This wine likely now is better
made than in the past. One thing is for sure. You can judge this wine
by general vintage trends, especially for older wines.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> I'd like to know when HB '94 drinks well.

Parker scores 86 and says "drink until 2006" in his recent
Bordeaux book.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > skrev i melding
> .... Begs the question if Haut Batailley tends towards a lighter style, or
> do they do heavies for serious cellar time some years?
> What´s your two cents on this?

Hi Nils G,
I don't actually have that much experience with Ch. Haut-Batailley, but more
with it's neighbour Ch. Batailley of roughly the same distinction. Of the
two the HB is reported to be somewhat lighter - but none is considered a
poor wine. Solid good Bordeaux both, or else Broadbent, quoted by our
unpronounceable friend, would not have considered them at all, anyway not in
his bible. The Ch. B. 1988 I enjoyed a case of, good fruit, cedar and
cassis - an archetypical and very drinkable Bordeaux, imho.
Season's greetings,
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Anders Tørneskog" > skrev i meddelandet

> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > skrev i melding
>> .... Begs the question if Haut Batailley tends towards a lighter style,
>> or do they do heavies for serious cellar time some years?
>> What´s your two cents on this?
>>

> Hi Nils G,
> I don't actually have that much experience with Ch. Haut-Batailley, but
> more with it's neighbour Ch. Batailley of roughly the same distinction.
> Of the two the HB is reported to be somewhat lighter - but none is
> considered a poor wine. Solid good Bordeaux both, or else Broadbent,
> quoted by our unpronounceable friend, would not have considered them at
> all, anyway not in his bible. The Ch. B. 1988 I enjoyed a case of, good
> fruit, cedar and cassis - an archetypical and very drinkable Bordeaux,
> imho.

I had the opportunity to taste the Ch B 1988 with our AAB group a few months
back - unfortunately I was so organoleptically challenged due to a head cold
that I could barely recognize it as "mainly CabSauv". So it goes.

> Season's greetings,

And the very same to you
Cheers
Nils Gustaf

1994 Haut Bailly Bill S. Wine 0 18-12-2011 06:31 PM
[TN] '96 Haut Batailley Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 17-02-2008 02:52 PM
TN: 1997 Ch. Batailley MarcB Wine 0 04-01-2007 02:35 PM
Beychevelle, Dominus, Batailley, Rieussec, Yquem and some others. Bill S. Wine 0 29-07-2006 02:11 AM
78 Batailley, 70 Ducru Bill Spohn Wine 2 14-12-2003 07:42 PM