Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default TN: Domane Wachau Smaragd, plus cheap party wines

Over a couple days, a 375ml of 2001 Ch. Siaurac (Lalande de Pomerol).
Light to medium bodied Merlot, light notes of earth and cedar-chest on
the nose, moderate acidity, could use a bit more oomph to the
blackberry and black plum fruit. Not bad for a $7 half, though. B/B-

Saturday we went to a friend's birthday party. Neither Susan nor her
partner really drink, while I knew they'd have wine I felt I'd be
happier with something I chose. So in addition to some smoked trout
mousse and mango-chutney cheddar balls out of self-preservation we
carried some 2004 Iche (Ch. d'Oupia) "Les Heretiques " Vin de Pays de
l'Hérault. This is a perennial QPR wine, and even though the price is
creeping towards $8 it still offers very good value. Dark berry and
plum fruit, some herbes de provence and anise. Just enough tannin and
acidity to give it body, fun wine. B

But my bottles were quickly drained, and I sampled the rest of the
offerings:
There was a 2005 Beaujolais Nouveau (Chat-something, with a cat on
label) that was actually a fair representative of the genre- simple,
juicy, grapey. B-/C+

2003 Cartlidge & Brown Chardonnay
A bit off-dry , mango and canned peach fruit, a bit of oak. Simple but
not offensive. B-

2003 Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz
Soft - well, flabby - grapey with soft jammy red fruit. Short finish.
Unflawed but unattractive, at least to me (others were knocking it down
without complaint). C+

Sunday we picked up our Christmas tree, and got a couple lobsters while
we were at it. Betsy made Michel Ricard's lobster burgers (which are
actually lobster-scallop) with ginger-lemon mayo and tomato confit. I
chose the 2002 Domäne Wachau Riesling Smaragd Singerriedel (Wachau).
Rather austere at first, then opens wide. Very crisp- bracing acidity.
Big body, with long finish. At first it's all citrus/lemony, then some
peach and spice aromas peek their heads out. At one point I'm reminded
of my mom's "Russian tea" (tea with cloves, cinnamon, and I think
Tang!) from the 70s. This needs time, but a nice wine. B+
I have to say that I think Domane Wachau might edge the Produttori del
Barbaresco as the best co-op in the world (La Chablisienne just isn't
as consistent imho).

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

TN: Post Thanksgiving wines- Sicily, Liguria, Wachau, South Africa DaleW Wine 5 04-12-2013 09:22 PM
TN: Good wines- 2 Cali, 1 Chablis, 1 Wachau DaleW Wine 0 10-07-2013 05:21 PM
TN: 04 Domane Wachau GV DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2006 06:56 PM
TN: Deiss, Domane Wachau, Bolla, Palandri, St-Benoit, Kunde DaleW Wine 6 24-11-2005 03:25 PM
TN: (cheap) wines with curry, (cheap) '98 Burg Dale Williams Wine 17 25-09-2004 11:06 PM