Posted to alt.food.wine
Fred

Default NYC Tasting

I got an email about a tasting tonight in NYC. I couldn't go if I wanted to
since I am most of the way across the country and it is tonight. Not to
mention the $15,000 price tag. Is anyone from this ng going and will
report? I would like to go vicariously if possible.

Fred.

MAJOR ($15,000 per person) TASTING IN NEW YORK 12/5/05
Here is the list of the wines (all magnums) that will be in the
tasting:
1947 CHEVAL BLANC "100" RMP / "95" WS
1947 LAFLEUR "100" RMP / "100" WS
1947 LATOUR A POMEROL "100" RMP
1947 L'EGLISE CLINET "100" RMP
1947 L'EVANGILE "97-100" RMP
1947 PETRUS "100" RMP
1961 LAFLEUR "98" RMP / "82" WS
1961 LATOUR A POMEROL "100" RMP
1961 L'EVANGILE "99" RMP
1961 PETRUS "100" RMP
ALSO: 1947 D'YQUEM "98?" RMP / "97" WS
1947 CLIMENS "94" RMP / "89" WS
Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Sounds pretty good. I usually put the cap on wine events at about $300
(wine & /or money). For this one, I'd splurge- say $1500. So if the
group can raise $13,500 for my reporting skills......

Who's doing this, Kapon?

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:
> Sounds pretty good. I usually put the cap on wine events at about $300
> (wine & /or money). For this one, I'd splurge- say $1500. So if the
> group can raise $13,500 for my reporting skills......
>
> Who's doing this, Kapon?

Not that you need this advice, Dale, but even if I were the sort to put
out this kind of money for a tasting (I'm not), I'd want to have a
detailed description of the provenance of each and every bottle in the
tasting. For wines of this age, storage conditions are everything. I'd
also want to know what provisions were in place for backup bottles in
case of cork failure, etc. Still, it'd be great to hear a report of
this event. It sounds like the kind of thing that The Wine Spectator
would attend and write up, but that's still not enough inducement to get
me to subscribe ;-)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
Fred

"DaleW" > wrote in news:1133828307.218620.79930
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Who's doing this, Kapon?

Don't know. I was sent the email by someone other than who is putting it
on. At almost $1,400 per taste I think it is very overpriced.

Fred.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Fred wrote:
> I got an email about a tasting tonight in NYC. I couldn't go if I wanted to
> since I am most of the way across the country and it is tonight. Not to
> mention the $15,000 price tag. Is anyone from this ng going and will
> report? I would like to go vicariously if possible.
>
> Fred.
>
> MAJOR ($15,000 per person) TASTING IN NEW YORK 12/5/05
> Here is the list of the wines (all magnums) that will be in the
> tasting:
> 1947 CHEVAL BLANC "100" RMP / "95" WS
> 1947 LAFLEUR "100" RMP / "100" WS
> 1947 LATOUR A POMEROL "100" RMP
> 1947 L'EGLISE CLINET "100" RMP
> 1947 L'EVANGILE "97-100" RMP
> 1947 PETRUS "100" RMP
> 1961 LAFLEUR "98" RMP / "82" WS
> 1961 LATOUR A POMEROL "100" RMP
> 1961 L'EVANGILE "99" RMP
> 1961 PETRUS "100" RMP
> ALSO: 1947 D'YQUEM "98?" RMP / "97" WS
> 1947 CLIMENS "94" RMP / "89" WS

Even if they give you a 2 oz taste of each of the wines, based on
auction values of these wines, the tasting seems highly overpriced.
After all, that would mean that the average cost per bottle would be a
bit over $15000, which is far above the average market value of these
12 wines per bottle. Even with a $1000 dinner, including the best foie
gras, fresh truffles served as a vegetable course, and the best caviar,
this still would be far from a bargin. If the tastes were much under 2
oz, the price of the event would approach robbery. The theme seems to
be top Bordeaux, but the list seems a bit restricted, both as to years
and wines included.

Perhaps I need to go to New York and have a tasting event that would
include:
Mouton-Rothschild 1945;
Mouton-Rothschild 1961;
Latour 1945;
Latour 1961;
Lafite 1959;
Margaux 1953;
Margaux 1961;
Haut-Brion 1961;
La Mission-Haut-Brion 1961;
Cheval-Blanc 1947;
d'Yquem 1959;
d'Yquem 1967;

If I charged $15000 per person for an event that would be held only if
enough persons purchased a ticket, I would be laughing all of the way
to the bank, if the tasters did not find out how much I made and
covered me with tar and feathers.

AWS Tasting Zeppo[_2_] Wine 4 23-02-2010 05:38 PM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 25 13-02-2005 01:32 PM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 0 05-02-2005 06:52 PM
Tasting in Jacksonville, FL Bill Loftin Wine 1 23-11-2004 01:24 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 07:21 PM