Posted to alt.food.wine
Jim

Default TN: Morgon

Friend from Paris in town. We opened this with Bolognese sauce over
pasta, with crusty rolls and a salad to follow.

Jim

*2002 Domaine du Père Guillot Morgon Cuvée des Grands Cras - France,
Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (11/30/2005)*

Deepish red with just a touch of purple. Nose shows firm berries and
just barely ripe sweet cherry, along with some dust and an element of
violet. I'm not sure, but there also seems to be a touch of oak (or
some form of woodiness), but it is not overpowering -- just mildly
distracting. Palate has nice tart, crunchy cherry fruit on entry that
deepens slightly into berries and even a little plum on the mid-palate.
>From mid-palate to the finish, there is a really nice granite and earth

element that -- along with good acid -- keeps things interesting.
There's also a parting shot of oddly hard tannin at the very back of
the mouth as the wine moves into a medium finish of sour cherry and a
hint of chocolate. A fair match with bolognese-sauced pasta, this
should get better with two or three more years on it. It certainly has
the fruit, acid, and a touch of tannin to last a while. If the
woodiness is from oak, I expect that will it integrate nicely. If the
woodiness is from green stems or similar, then it is best drunk now
while the fruit is fresh. I don't often say this, but I hope this saw a
bit too much oak. Great structural balance and fruit intensity. That
odd woody element keeps it from being a real winner tonight.

[TN] '07 Breton Morgon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 27-04-2012 03:54 AM
TN: A Morgon that needs time/air DaleW Wine 3 06-06-2010 10:11 PM
[TN] '07 Lapierre Morgon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 24-08-2009 09:15 PM
'06 Morgon Joseph Coulter[_4_] Wine 1 07-11-2008 02:51 PM
TN: JP Brun Morgon DaleW Wine 2 20-10-2008 05:37 PM