Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default TN: (few) Thanksgiving wines

Wednesday we flew south to Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving with my
family. Thursday AM I went to the local Krogers to get something to
have with dinner (typical Southern Thanksgiving fare- turkey, giblet
dressing, gravy, ham, turnips, turnip greens, green beans, assorted
casseroles). I chose the 2001 Saintsbury Pinot Noir (Carneros), as I
had liked previous vintages (and the '01 Reserve). Upon opening, I
rechecked label to ensure I hadn't somehow picked up the entry-level
Garnet bottling - nope, regular Carneros. This was a bit lean and thin.
Sharp black cherry fruit framed - almost overwhelmed - by toasty oak.
Maybe just needs time, but I wonder if all the best fruit went into the
Reserve this year. Still, an ok if austere PN for my tastes (my
fruit-loving brother doesn't even finish his glass). B-

As desserts went around, so did a half-bottle of the 2001 Gsellmann &
Gsellmann Trockenbeerenauslese (Burgenland) I had carried with me.
Vanilla and honey on the nose, citrus (grapefruit) and dried apricot on
the palate. A bit soft for my tastes, but interesting. B+/B

The following evening my brother wanted to take all of us to a
restaurant in Buckhead called New York Prime (he knows an owner). But
David came home early from a golfing outing with my dad and brother
with a stomach virus, and Betsy decided to stay with him. I went
however, and had a very tasty (and perfectly rare)NY strip, as well as
good examples of chopped salad, creamed spinach, and baked shrimp (I
confess to being a NY snob, I tend to have low expectations for
restaurants elsewhere, but this place did well). My brother handed me
the list, in respect for others' tastes I skipped the Bordeaux pages
and ordered the 2001 Newton Claret. Rather explosive nose of crushed
berries and vanilla, more subdued on the palate with black plum and
blackcurrant fruit. Definitely more on the fruitbomb side than the
earthy side, not stylistically my favorite but pretty well done in a
New World style. B, but B+ for value

Nice to be with family, even if by midnight that evening Betsy and I
had joined the stomach virus crowd.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:

> Wednesday we flew south to Atlanta to spend Thanksgiving with my
> family. Thursday AM I went to the local Krogers to get something to
> have with dinner (typical Southern Thanksgiving fare- turkey, giblet
> dressing, gravy, ham, turnips, turnip greens, green beans, assorted
> casseroles). I chose the 2001 Saintsbury Pinot Noir (Carneros), as I
> had liked previous vintages (and the '01 Reserve). Upon opening, I
> rechecked label to ensure I hadn't somehow picked up the entry-level
> Garnet bottling - nope, regular Carneros. This was a bit lean and thin.
> Sharp black cherry fruit framed - almost overwhelmed - by toasty oak.
> Maybe just needs time, but I wonder if all the best fruit went into the
> Reserve this year. Still, an ok if austere PN for my tastes (my
> fruit-loving brother doesn't even finish his glass). B-

That's a bummer about the Saintsbury, and I hope that it doesn't augur
for a change in direction for them. Like you, I've been a fan of their
Pinots for many years now, and I'd hate to lose them as a reliable source.

Mark Lipton

thanksgiving wines Joseph Coulter[_10_] Wine 0 18-11-2013 08:44 PM
Thanksgiving day wines. Bi!! Wine 7 15-11-2013 10:17 PM
[TN] Thanksgiving wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 26-11-2012 06:22 PM
NYT on Thanksgiving wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 19-11-2007 10:51 PM
Thanksgiving Wines Bill S. Wine 3 09-11-2005 03:57 PM