Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Chateau Mouton-Rothschild 1975

I have had an unopened wooden case of Mouton-Rothschild 1975 stored
under near ideal conditions without moving since shortly after release.
The 1975 has the Andy Warhol label. I had no interest in tasting it too
early, since it had a reputation for being very acid, tannic, and raw
when young, and evaluation of it proved very difficult for many
critics. I just opened the case about a month ago. Today I opened a
bottle.

The color still is rather deep scarlet with very little age showing
around the rim. There is still tannin, but it is now smooth enough not
to be a problem. There also is plenty of acidity, but it is now not raw
and excessive. Now that the tannin and acid "screen" has lifted, the
fruit has held and comes through well. There is the usual cassis,
perhaps blackberries, a hint of a damp forest, and hints of chocolate
and tobacco. The balance of the wine could be a bit better - it is no
match for a 61 or 82 by any means - but the wine is now quite good
drinking, especially with food. I expect mine to last many more years.
There have been tasting notes for some bottles of Mouton 75 that proved
a bit oxidized. Of course, at 30 years, some bottle variation is to be
expected. I do not know if the less good bottles had been stored
properly, if they had a cork problem, or if Mouton 75 was bottled in
several batches that may not have been quite the same.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Bill S.

This wine has shown very well the last 3 times I've tried it. Not a
great 1975 like Las Cases or La Mission, or Trotanoy, but not too
shabby either!

1982 Mouton Rothschild Godzilla Lizard Wine 10 19-04-2010 12:58 PM
1970 and 1973 Mouton-Rothschild Earle Jones Wine 0 02-01-2009 04:01 AM
1975 Latour, Montrose, Mouton Bill S. Wine 1 24-11-2007 07:11 PM
Mouton Rothschild 1982 Jonathan Wine 17 15-04-2005 01:43 PM
Wine Tasting - NYC - Mouton-Rothschild 10/18 George Cutshaw Wine 0 11-10-2003 10:48 PM