Posted to alt.food.wine
larkin1734

Default Article re Tony's Wine Warehouse (Dallas, TX) -- How not to run awine store

Can anyone in the Dallas area confirm that Tony's Wine Warehouse really
prices its wine and treats customers as described in
http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues.../feature.html? It
sounds like a nightmare store.

--
To email me, remove the invalid word in my address & change net to com.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Midlife

in article , larkin1734 at
wrote on 11/19/05 2:38 AM:

> Can anyone in the Dallas area confirm that Tony's Wine Warehouse really
> prices its wine and treats customers as described in

http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues.../feature.html? It
> sounds like a nightmare store.

Long, multi-page article but it really kept me in wonder at the way a large
number of consumers appear to be unaware or uncaring of wine pricing in
their market. With the huge number of wines available in a major market
like that, it is understandable that an average consumer might not realize
they are being overcharged in 'the heat of the moment' of purchase. BUT....
why they would keep coming back is more of a mystery. The only logical
explanation that occurs to me is that these people are sucked in by the
large discount, so they can't imagine that they're still being gouged. AND
that they don't have enough familiarity with the wines they're buying to
make the comparison when shopping somewhere else.

It's one thing to overpay at a charity event, where you just figure the
charity is getting more money. But this guy appears to get away with this
under regular retail conditions. Pretty amazing.

Posted to alt.food.wine
jcoulter

Midlife > wrote in :

> http://www.dallasobserver.com/Issues.../feature.html?

WOW, why didn't I get into that business??? All of those bottles that
people come here and ask us about, send 'em to Tony's they'll mark em up
and make a fortune. 1985 Mouton Cadet, obviously a limited run wine, $50 a
bottle "Why not? It is aged!" {NB, I just made that part up OK?}
--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations