Posted to alt.food.wine
MaxMustermann

Default 1975 Wines

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some 1975 wines and I have found only the following
wines available (all german):

Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese
Niersteiner Patersberg Spätlese
Mettenheimer Schloßberg (Fritz Kleinknecht, Faberrebe Spätlese,
Bodenheim - Rheinhessen)
Riesling (A.P.Nr 4382 238 476, Freiherr von Maltz`lche Weinkellerei
Walsrode, Niederemmel-Piesport, Mosel)
Weißwein Ruster Spätlese (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand
Pieroth)
Weißburgunder (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
Grüner Veltliner (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
Rauenthaler Baiken Kabinett (Staatsweingüter Eltville)

All wines seem to have been stored in cellars and they are still clear
and not flaky. Can anyone with more experience suggest what would be a
good wine (from the above) to open?

Thanks,
Max

Posted to alt.food.wine
MaxMustermann

I've found some wines that I can get hold of:

Couvent des Jacobines Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé
St. Johanner Abtey (Rheinhessen)
Mönchhofer Kreuzjoch, Blaufränkisch (Weingut Niederthäler Hof,
Schlossböckelheim)
Mönchhofer Kreuzjoch, Zweigelt (Weingut Niederthäler Hof,
Schlossböckelheim)
Dhroner Hofberger Spätlese Riesling (Qualitätswein mit Prädikat,
Weingut Joh. Stadtfeld)
Ockfener Bockstein (Weinkellerei Pfarrkirche Bernkastel,
Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)
Ehringer Kapellenberg
Boyd-Cantenac Grand Cru classé (Margaux)
Leoville-Poyferré Grand Cru classé (St. Julien)

Posted to alt.food.wine

MaxMustermann wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm looking for some 1975 wines and I have found only the following
> wines available (all german):
>
> Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese
> Niersteiner Patersberg Spätlese

The 2 above wines could still be good with ideal storage, depending on
who made them. Without knowing that, one can not say more.

> Mettenheimer Schloßberg (Fritz Kleinknecht, Faberrebe Spätlese,
> Bodenheim - Rheinhessen)
> Riesling (A.P.Nr 4382 238 476, Freiherr von Maltz`lche Weinkellerei
> Walsrode, Niederemmel-Piesport, Mosel)

I have not had the wines mentioned just above. It is possible they
could still be good. My experience is that auslese and above 1975s now
are drinking better than lower grades. I would not buy more than one
bottle of these wines until I had a chance to taste them.

> Weißwein Ruster Spätlese (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand
> Pieroth)
> Weißburgunder (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
> Grüner Veltliner (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)

The wines just above are Austrian and not German. My guess is that they
all might be past their best, but only tasting will tell for sure.
Perhaps another regular of this group who is an expert on Austrian
wines can tell you more.

> Rauenthaler Baiken Kabinett (Staatsweingüter Eltville)

This is a very famous vineyard and the producer(state) is of high
repute. However you are pushing your luck to expect a basic kabinett
grade to hold up well for 30 years. Your chances would be improved with
a spatlese, and I know the auslese version or above of this wine often
can hold up well for 30 years or more. For example the 1976 auslese
still is drinking well. The 1949 TBA also is holding well.

> All wines seem to have been stored in cellars and they are still clear
> and not flaky. Can anyone with more experience suggest what would be a
> good wine (from the above) to open?

At the age of these wines, ideal storage at a low temperature is all
important. The wines mentioned above all appear to be of grades under
auslese. My general experience is that a few such wines of this age
still are drinking well, but your chances of getting a very good wine
from Germany in the 1975 vintage are much better if you select an
auslese or higher grade from the best estates.
> Thanks,
> Max

Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

"MaxMustermann" > skrev i melding
ups.com...

Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Spätlese
Niersteiner Patersberg Spätlese
Mettenheimer Schloßberg (Fritz Kleinknecht, Faberrebe Spätlese,
Bodenheim - Rheinhessen)
Riesling (A.P.Nr 4382 238 476, Freiherr von Maltz`lche Weinkellerei
Walsrode, Niederemmel-Piesport, Mosel)
Weißwein Ruster Spätlese (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand
Pieroth)
Weißburgunder (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
Grüner Veltliner (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
Rauenthaler Baiken Kabinett (Staatsweingüter Eltville)

You are stretching it a bit with these. The best bet should be the
Niersteiner Hipping. The other Niersteiner doesn't mention the grape? Who
made these wines?
The Faber grape of the third one is not much seen, but makes quite ageworthy
wine. 30 years old from a small producer should be over the hill anyway.
The fourth is a mere quality wine(?) from a completely unknown producer -
should be dead.
The last one is a possibly good one, even when only a Kabinett.
None of these Germans will poison you, buy and report to us!
I've no idea about the Austrians.
hth
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine
enoavidh

Michael Pronay > wrote in
:

>>> Weißwein Ruster Spätlese (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand
>>> Pieroth)
>>> Weißburgunder (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
>>> Grüner Veltliner (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)

> Hands off. All probably dead since at least two decades. It's bulk
> wine bottled by Pieroth in Germany. Pieroth ten years later became
> involved in the anti-freeze afair. Iirc they used low-end Austrian
> bulk wines to doctor up German bottlings.
>
> M.

Isn't Pieroth also that door-to-door company with the "aggressive" sales
tactics? I thought I remembered hearing something like that...

d.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt

In article . com>, steinau
says...

>Hi everybody,
>
>I'm looking for some 1975 wines and I have found only the following
>wines available (all german):
>
>Niersteiner Hipping Riesling Sp=E4tlese
>Niersteiner Patersberg Sp=E4tlese
>Mettenheimer Schlo=DFberg (Fritz Kleinknecht, Faberrebe Sp=E4tlese,
>Bodenheim - Rheinhessen)
>Riesling (A.P.Nr 4382 238 476, Freiherr von Maltz`lche Weinkellerei
>Walsrode, Niederemmel-Piesport, Mosel)
>Wei=DFwein Ruster Sp=E4tlese (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand
>Pieroth)
>Wei=DFburgunder (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
>Gr=FCner Veltliner (Weinbaugebiet Burgenland, Ferdinand Pieroth)
>Rauenthaler Baiken Kabinett (Staatsweing=FCter Eltville)
>
>All wines seem to have been stored in cellars and they are still clear
>and not flaky. Can anyone with more experience suggest what would be a
>good wine (from the above) to open?
>
>Thanks,
>Max

Max,

Unfortunately, I do not know the above wines - but would LIKE to... Had a '76
Egon Mueller Auslese not that long ago, and it was probably the best Riesling
that I have ever tasted. I've been keeping several Germans from the 70's in
hopes that they will follow suit. Only caveat would be to allow these wines to
open up a bit in the glass. Don't judge any by "first whiff." Be prepared for
some major evolution, once poured. Be gentle and patient with them. Also,
please don't forget the TN's, when you do open them. Enjoy - but tell us all
about them.

Hunt

TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue DaleW Wine 1 26-12-2006 05:23 AM
TN Ch. Magdelaine 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 25-04-2005 12:29 AM
TN Ch. Margaux 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 8 12-01-2005 04:52 PM
TN Ch. Margaux 1975 Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 10-01-2005 05:55 AM
1975 Beychevelle Ron Lel Wine 11 09-07-2004 06:25 PM