Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default TN: low expectations, some exceeded (Jaboulet, Long-Depaquit )

Wednesday, with lamb chops with a dry rub (cumin, allspice, and lots of
other spices), the 1995 Jaboulet Cornas. I had no high hopes, and it
was a good thing I didn't. Initially a bit grapey and simple, with
rather hard tannins. Later some pepper and smoke as the fruit filled
out just a bit (dark berry), but the fruit is still modest with a fully
mature sense, and the tannins are still biting. Not a lot of pleasure
in this bottle. C+

Hopes were even lower for the 1998 "Vaillons" Chablis 1er Cru (375). A
half-bottle from a vintage with a mediocre rep. But this one surpassed
my low expectations. Less acidic than I expected, but with a very nice
mineral core. No sign of oak (or oxidation), a clean pear and white
peach fruit base but dominated by a stony minerality. If there was more
acidic zip this probably would have gotten an A- from me, but a B for
this showing.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hopes were even lower for the 1998 "Vaillons" Chablis 1er Cru (375). A
> half-bottle from a vintage with a mediocre rep.

Hi, Dale -

I hadn't known that 1998 was a poor-ish vintage for Chablis. I have tried a
couple of vineyard designated 1998 Chablisiennes and was pleased with them,
so maybe I got lucky. BTW, the 2002 regular bottling Chablisienne is on the
shelf here at Costco for ~$16. Nice, guilty pleasure wine for folks like
me - dyed in the wool California Chardonnay buffs. :^)

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:
> Wednesday, with lamb chops with a dry rub (cumin, allspice, and lots of
> other spices), the 1995 Jaboulet Cornas. I had no high hopes, and it
> was a good thing I didn't. Initially a bit grapey and simple, with
> rather hard tannins. Later some pepper and smoke as the fruit filled
> out just a bit (dark berry), but the fruit is still modest with a fully
> mature sense, and the tannins are still biting. Not a lot of pleasure
> in this bottle. C+

That's a shame, as '95 was a very good year in Cornas. Clape's '95 is
quite the wine, but then again he's the ne plus ultra of Cornas.

> Hopes were even lower for the 1998 "Vaillons" Chablis 1er Cru (375). A
> half-bottle from a vintage with a mediocre rep. But this one surpassed
> my low expectations. Less acidic than I expected, but with a very nice
> mineral core. No sign of oak (or oxidation), a clean pear and white
> peach fruit base but dominated by a stony minerality. If there was more
> acidic zip this probably would have gotten an A- from me, but a B for
> this showing.

errr... Producer, Dale?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Hey, I use mediocre to mean mediocre, not poor. Actually, I tend to
like '98 white Burgs in general (rep is for middling early drinking
vintage) quite a bit. Plus my expectations were down for a half-bottle.

2002 tends to be brilliant in Chablis.

Have you been MIA for a few weeks? Someone (hunt?) posted a note to me
a couple weeks ago that I think was meant for you (winemaking
questions). If you missed, search for DaleW in title.

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Yes, I loved a '95 Voge.

The Chablis was Long-Depaquit.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

]
] That's a shame, as '95 was a very good year in Cornas. Clape's '95 is
] quite the wine, but then again he's the ne plus ultra of Cornas.
]

Yes, I meant to ask why such low expectations, too. I've found
Jaboulet to be generally reliable enough, in a negoc sort of way.
Certainly not at all old for a Cornas. Have you already been
disappointed by this one, Dale?

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Have you been MIA for a few weeks? Someone (hunt?) posted a note to me
> a couple weeks ago that I think was meant for you (winemaking
> questions).

Hi, Dale -

Yeah, I've been busy with the crush until recently. My 2005 Chardonnay is
perking along in the fermenters now and doesn't require so much attention at
the moment. Looks like really classic stuff from perfectly ripe fruit with
good sugar/acid balance. Not as hot as the 2004.

I connected with Hunt and pointed him in the right direction. I have a
friend in New Mexico (a fellow winemaker).

Tom S

Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Emery,
you wrote:
""Yes, I meant to ask why such low expectations, too. I've found
Jaboulet to be generally reliable enough, in a negoc sort of way.
Certainly not at all old for a Cornas. Have you already been
disappointed by this one, Dale? "

I think Jaboulet's domaine wines (owned vineyards like the Crozes
Thalabert) can be quite good. And in some vintages (it's been
inconsistent lately) the Parallele 45 CdR can be a good
value.But......I've found their general basel level negociant wines to
pretty much suck (excuse the expression) in most vintages. That applies
to the Cornas, the Gigondas, the Vacqueyras, the St. Joseph. Far better
values out there for just a few dollars more.

There's also distressing bottle variation in some of their wines.

Just my opinion.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

On 6 Nov 2005 08:46:31 -0800
"DaleW" > wrote:

] Emery,
] you wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info, Dale. I guess my impressions are out of
date, pretty much. The P45 used to be consistantly reasonable,
although I too noticed different "batches" within a single vintage.

But I confess I don't think I've had a Jaboulet of any kind since
returning to France (for good).

As for your opinion, I value it highly!

-E