FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hafner Kosher Wines - Organic? (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/72568-hafner-kosher-wines-organic.html)

[email protected] 22-10-2005 11:45 PM

Hafner Kosher Wines - Organic?

I recently purchased a bottle of Hafner Kosher Wine (Queen Esther - 2002),
and on the front label the word "organic" appears (in double-quotes!). I
couldn't find anything about this on their website or in searches of
newsgroup archives. Can anyone provide any information about this?

JonK 23-10-2005 02:23 AM

wrote:
I recently purchased a bottle of Hafner Kosher Wine (Queen Esther - 2002),
and on the front label the word "organic" appears (in double-quotes!). I
couldn't find anything about this on their website or in searches of
newsgroup archives. Can anyone provide any information about this?

Which website did you look at? There are two different Hafner Wines:
one in Sonoma and one in Austria. The Austrian one is Kosher is say
stuff about being organic. Google on: hafner kosher wine.
Jon

Anders TÝrneskog 23-10-2005 12:32 PM

Hafner Kosher Wines - Organic?

"Michael Pronay" skrev i melding
... And if you have health problems with wine, please
stay away from any wine. Hafner's (or any kosher or organically
grown) wines do contain alcohol - just like any other wine.

Alcohol? How about sulphur, tannins, flavonoids and a myriad other organic
substances possibly present in wines that may prove unhealthy to certain
individuals allergic to any of these? Admittedly a minuscule minority
compared to those with alcohol problems...
An entirely different question is whether these so called organically grown
wines do contain less of such potentially (for the very few unlucky people)
hazardous substances? I have some doubts as to there being any real
difference...
Anders

Michael Pronay 23-10-2005 01:02 PM

"Anders TÝrneskog" wrote:

... And if you have health problems with wine, please stay away
from any wine. Hafner's (or any kosher or organically grown)
wines do contain alcohol - just like any other wine.

Alcohol? How about sulphur, tannins, flavonoids and a myriad
other organic substances possibly present in wines that may
prove unhealthy to certain individuals allergic to any of these?

Of course.

Admittedly a minuscule minority compared to those with alcohol
problems... An entirely different question is whether these so
called organically grown wines do contain less of such
potentially (for the very few unlucky people) hazardous
substances?

No.

I have some doubts as to there being any real difference...

There's no difference, be they grown normal, organic or
produced kosher.

The only difference is for wines labelled "organic wine" in the
US: They have no sulfites added (and therefore are extremely
rare). What we call organic (or biological) wine here in Europe
must be labelled "wine made from organically grown grapes" in the
US.

M.