Joe Giorgianni

Default My Brother's 50th Birthday Party

Hi all,

I'm not very good at tasting notes but my brother had a party Saturday night
for his 50th birthday. As he's been collecting Chateau d'Yquem for years I
was looking forward to it very much.

We started out with three Champagnes - Moet and Chandon White Star. Although
I hear some criticism of this Champagne it's one of my favorites. We
followed that up with a Moet and Chandon Vintage Brut Reserve (? - I think).
That was followed by a Moet and Chandon Nectar, which none of us had ever
had. Way too sweet, should have been saved for after dinner. These were all
had with shrimp cocktail and the usual munchies.

We then had some whites. A Simi Chardonnay which was good and one of my
favorite California Chardonnays. This was followed by a Reserve Simi
(Russian River?). I did not like this one at all. Very heavily oaked.

Then followed by a JJ Prum German Reisling. Can't tell you which one, but of
the several Germans I have had Prum is one of my favorites.

With dinner (filet mignon and lobster) we had a 1976 Lafite-Rothschild. My
mother (God rest her soul) had given it to my brother probably 25 years ago
for Christmas. She probably paid $50 for it. She put it in a Gold Seal New
York Sparkling Wine gift box and wrapped it. When my brother opened it he
graciously smiled and thanked her for it. She then told him to open the box.

The first time I had Lafite was on my honeymoon in 1980. We had a 1971 and
the nose of the 1976 reminded me at once of that wine (might have been a
mind game). The 1976 was very good, nice nose, good balance but really not
enough fruit. Still holding well. We had a 1982 Lafite for my 50th birthday
three years ago and I was somewhat disappointed with that. Probably because
it was far from ready but most of the 1982s I have drank over the years have
shown well when young.

For the final wine we had a 1990 (I think) d'Yquem. Very, very good
Sauternes but not the best d'Yquem I have had. Not intensely sweet but a
good amount of botrytis. It showed poorly when first poured but was much too
cold. On warming up it opened nicely. My other brother detected what he
thought was an off odor but I didn't notice it.

Anyway, a very nice evening and fun to try those nice wines.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters