DaleW

Default TN: inexpensive Spansh wines, odd CC, Aiguilhe

My sister-in-law is the only person I know who is both a violist and a
doula, and I helped her out last week by going over in middle of night
so someone was there with her kids while she assisted at a birth. She
dropped off a thank you of some cheeses and a 1998 Ch.d'Aiguilhe (Cotes
de Castillon), I opened the Bordeaux Friday night. Served with my
version of a rabbit cacciatore, this was a warm plummy Merlot. Some
toasty oak notes over black plum and raspberry fruit. There's a slight
roasted note, this is far more mature than a bottle from my cellar last
year, I'm not sure re storage of this one. Still, a nice pleasant
rather international Bordeaux. B

Saturday night I was invited to a housewarming/birthday party for an
old friend and her fiancee (Betsy alas was working). Friday I had made
Gabrielle Hamilton's pickled shrimp as my culinary contribution. I
carried along a bottle of NV Astoria Prosecco as a counterpart.
Light-bodied (to the point I almost said unsubstantial) off-dry, with a
light green apple fruit base and a hint of flowers. Clean and
unoffensive, but while I don't expect yeasty Champagne flavors from
Prosecco, I would like something to keep me interested. B-/C+

Lots of food out, including poached salmon, ham, beef kebabs,
cauliflower salad, and green beans. There were several Spanish wines
making the rounds, and I tried to give them all equal time:

2004 Luzon (if I read label correctly, fancy yet almost unreadable
label)
OK, this is a ripe internationally styled wine that many here might
hate. But I thought for a reasonably priced wine this had some real
character. There is some vanilla oak, but there's a nice layer of
herbal and floral notes over the black fruit that makes me give some
real attention. Bottles were being opened and emptied too quickly to
really notice evolution, but even in my glass a bit of swirling brought
out a bit of smoke and leather. A little too ripe/round for my tastes,
but at least it's interesting ripe fruit. B

2003 Peitan Albarino (Rias Baixas)
Rather floral, with pineapple, mango, and peach fruit. Not as flabby as
some 2003s, but still could use more acidic zip. Better as a sipper
than with the food. B/B-

2004 Oro de Castilla Rueda
Good lemon-over-peach fruit. Light aromas of grass and fennel/anise.
Good crisp acidity, light bodied wine but most food friendly of the
bunch. B/B+

Nice night. Fascinating mix, as those of us who were Sarah's friends
met Jay's friends for the first time (and vice versa). But as much as I
enjoyed the people, it was the reunion with the Sarah's Shih Tzu Bailey
and Portugese Water Dog Bailey (who I used to dogsit for) that really
made my evening.

Sunday my day was spent working (quarterly meeting), and Betsy was
working too. But she came home and threw together a quick
groundmeat/pepper/tomato sauce, made some kale, and grated some
radicchio. The sauce went over some pasta, the kale was served over
toast with romano cheese, and the radicchio topped with egg and tossed
with an anchovy vinaigrette. I chose a 2001 Tenimenti Angelini
"Sanleonino" Chianti Classico. After serving I went back to ascertain I
had right vintage- yep. Dense bitter cherry and black plum fruit,
rather low acidity, green tannins. Not a rebuy for me. B-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.

zara

Default inexpensive Spansh wines, odd CC, Aiguilhe

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My sister-in-law is the only person I know who is both a violist and a
> doula, and I helped her out last week by going over in middle of night
> so someone was there with her kids while she assisted at a birth. She
> dropped off a thank you of some cheeses and a 1998 Ch.d'Aiguilhe (Cotes
> de Castillon), I opened the Bordeaux Friday night. Served with my
> version of a rabbit cacciatore, this was a warm plummy Merlot. Some
> toasty oak notes over black plum and raspberry fruit. There's a slight
> roasted note, this is far more mature than a bottle from my cellar last
> year, I'm not sure re storage of this one. Still, a nice pleasant
> rather international Bordeaux. B

So now, I would suggest, your sister-in-law is deeply indebted to you. I
would press her for payback. Of course wine would be included - maybe an
earthy red - but for the "Main Event" Sex would be a must.

> Saturday night I was invited to a housewarming/birthday party for an
> old friend and her fiancee (Betsy alas was working). Friday I had made
> Gabrielle Hamilton's pickled shrimp as my culinary contribution. I
> carried along a bottle of NV Astoria Prosecco as a counterpart.
> Light-bodied (to the point I almost said unsubstantial) off-dry, with a
> light green apple fruit base and a hint of flowers. Clean and
> unoffensive, but while I don't expect yeasty Champagne flavors from
> Prosecco, I would like something to keep me interested. B-/C+

Are there any "possibilities"' with your, "old friend"?

> Lots of food out, including poached salmon, ham, beef kebabs,
> cauliflower salad, and green beans. There were several Spanish wines
> making the rounds, and I tried to give them all equal time:
>
> 2004 Luzon (if I read label correctly, fancy yet almost unreadable
> label)
> OK, this is a ripe internationally styled wine that many here might
> hate. But I thought for a reasonably priced wine this had some real
> character. There is some vanilla oak, but there's a nice layer of
> herbal and floral notes over the black fruit that makes me give some
> real attention. Bottles were being opened and emptied too quickly to
> really notice evolution, but even in my glass a bit of swirling brought
> out a bit of smoke and leather. A little too ripe/round for my tastes,
> but at least it's interesting ripe fruit. B
>
> 2003 Peitan Albarino (Rias Baixas)
> Rather floral, with pineapple, mango, and peach fruit. Not as flabby as
> some 2003s, but still could use more acidic zip. Better as a sipper
> than with the food. B/B-
>
> 2004 Oro de Castilla Rueda
> Good lemon-over-peach fruit. Light aromas of grass and fennel/anise.
> Good crisp acidity, light bodied wine but most food friendly of the
> bunch. B/B+

The wines sound "interesting - the food sounds "insipid".

> Nice night. Fascinating mix, as those of us who were Sarah's friends
> met Jay's friends for the first time (and vice versa). But as much as I
> enjoyed the people, it was the reunion with the Sarah's Shih Tzu Bailey
> and Portugese Water Dog Bailey (who I used to dogsit for) that really
> made my evening.

Dogs are nice - Pugs are my favorite.

> Sunday my day was spent working (quarterly meeting), and Betsy was
> working too. But she came home and threw together a quick
> groundmeat/pepper/tomato sauce, made some kale, and grated some
> radicchio. The sauce went over some pasta, the kale was served over
> toast with romano cheese, and the radicchio topped with egg and tossed
> with an anchovy vinaigrette. I chose a 2001 Tenimenti Angelini
> "Sanleonino" Chianti Classico. After serving I went back to ascertain I
> had right vintage- yep. Dense bitter cherry and black plum fruit,
> rather low acidity, green tannins. Not a rebuy for me. B-

Good meal - too bad it was work day.

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.

taste preferences are extremly personal. Some people I know, who can afford
anything - drink stuff that makes me cringe - but they like it. Many people
prefer Columbia Crest - a good wine - and wines of that order, and are
extremly happy with them. Some people buy some real expensive wines - wines
with a good review - and say " I don't Get It"

So what I'm saying, Dale, is: Wine reviews don't mean Shit.

Lew/+Silat

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>Friday I had made
> Gabrielle Hamilton's pickled shrimp as my culinary contribution.

Dale how was the pickled shrimp?

--
Lew/+Silat

DaleW

Pretty good. Interesting enough to take to a party, but simple enough
for me to do.

Hostess asked for a recipe, I found online so I didn't have to type
out:

http://www.howtocookeverything.tv/ht...cipeId-43.html

DaleW

PS I just used Old Bay, not the Ruby mix