FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Basic Bourgogne, basic Bordeaux Blanc, both basically good. (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/71966-tn-basic-bourgogne-basic.html)

DaleW 12-10-2005 07:35 PM

TN: Basic Bourgogne, basic Bordeaux Blanc, both basically good.

Monday Betsy made a recipe of salmon with lentils and bacon from the
Zuni Cafe cookbook. The cookbook suggested Sangiovese, I said the hell
with that and opened the 2002 Catherine and Claude Mar=E9chal "Cuv=E9e
Gravel" Bourgogne. Nice medium-weight Bourgogne, some earth with clean
red plum and cherry fruit. Some ripe tannins and good acids give it
enough body to stand up to the rather rich dish.

The following night Betsy was working and I made some pork chops for
dinner. Finished the remainder of the Marechal Bourgogne. I liked even
better on day 2, the earth/damp forest floor elements had picked up
intensity, but the fruit balanced it well. A very nice Bourgogne, B++

I had needed some white wine to cook my chops with, and had opened the
2004 Haut Rian (Bordeaux). I can't say I'm a big white Bordeaux drinker
- the ones I like are too expensive, the lesser-priced ones often lack
character compared to similarly priced NZ or Loire SB. But for under
$10 this was a nice deal - clean citrus (lemon) fruit with just a hint
of grass and straw, nice finish with clean fresh acidity. No new oak
like a wannabe Graves, not an attempt to mimic a fruit-forward
Marlborough, just it's own cool self. Seemingly more Sauvignon than
Semillon, this is a nice clean
food-friendly wine. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency. =20

Lawrence Leichtman 12-10-2005 08:53 PM

Dale, just asking again. Does Betsy have a recipe she can share for the
mustard duck legs? I just bought all they had at the local grocer and am
looking for good recipes.

DaleW 12-10-2005 09:24 PM

Lawrence, did you see my reply Monday? It shows up on Googlegroups.

Easiest recipe I know, but she doesn't measure anything:
Season duck legs, then brush liberally with Dijon mustard, then coat
with panko. Melt butter and drizzle over legs.
Bake for 2 hours at 375F.
If you wish, stick under broiler for couple minutes to add final
crispness to crust.
Serve over greens.

There's a lot of fat in the roasting pan, but the legs themselves are
moist but not greasy.

Lawrence Leichtman 13-10-2005 04:23 AM

Sounds great. I'll give it a try with a pinot, 2002 Sandford I think,
thanks