FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN SFWS worst ever tasting (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/71937-tn-sfws-worst-ever.html)

John Taverner 12-10-2005 12:01 PM

TN SFWS worst ever tasting

Solihull Fine Wine Society October tasting.

I have been lurking of late as have been travelling a bit. My first tasting
for three months.

This is a varietal simple tasting, blind as usual. It would turn out to be a
long hard slog, but very educational as you will see.

Jacobs Creek, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir Fizz, Oz, 2004.
Is this water? pale++, nose of cheap sweets, bubbles but no mousse, sweet
yet bitter........foul

Nottage Hill 2004 Chardonnay Oz
Watery thin dull. nose of rancid sweets and chemicals, even worse on the
palate, watery syrup and bitter.

Pouilly Blanc Fume, Wine Soc generic 1996.
Good looker, pale gold, complex earthy nose, soft entry then searing acidity
and finished bitter. At least I spotted the SB

Mainzer St Alban Kabinett, 1977, Pieroth!!!!
Brown, maderised to hell, so lacking in residual alcohol, we thought it had
to be Germanic, I suggested Falkland Islands Tete de Cuvee.

Berncastler Schlosberg Spatlese 1988
Green tinged viscous, with a complex smokey nose, yet soft with some
sweetness, long. I hadn'y a clue, only one taster mentioned Riesling!!!

Declassified Y'Quem 1992, ( or so we were told)
Beautifull deep gold, bright. Nose of Evostik glue as was the palate, sweet
cloying and bitter. ( you could be arrested for sniffing this in public)

Fleurie, 2004, George of alleged adulterating wine fame Duboeuf.
Simple easy drinking light gamay, at least it was alive.

Beaune Marchonets Premier Cru 1982.
Pale brick with brown edge. Soft **** pinot nose with some vegetal strains,
but dried out and almost dead.

Hermitage La Chapelle, Jaboulet, 1980, brown edge to a dull wine, still
complex syrah nose with tinned tomatoes, dryin out with little fruit left. I
thought it was an old Croze.

VCC Pomerol, 1989.
At last a serious wine, deep with huge extract, a complex vegetal faecal
nose which was not unpleasant. Soft full entry with firm tannins and all in
balance, long. Beautiful. ( although after the previous wines a Gallo box
wine would be pleasant)

Ch D'Angludet, 1989. Very similar to the VCC, but lighter in all ares. Again
a vegetal margaux nose like Brane- Cantenac of old, chewy fruit and spice,
long, most pleasant but not up to the VCC.

Lessons learnt

Wines die eventually, especially if your central heating boiler is in your
cellar.
In the UK Nottage Hill and Jacobs Creek have a large % of supermarket sales
of Oz wines. What can I say?

DaleW 12-10-2005 02:13 PM

"Wines die eventually, especially if your central heating boiler is in
your
cellar."

Indeed. Even with perfect storage I wouldn't think a '77 Pieroth Kab
would be drinkable, and that's stretching it for a Beaune from a
middling vineyard. My personal tastes for Pouilly-Fume is for soon
after release, too. Glad the VCC kept it from being a total waste!

Anders Tørneskog 12-10-2005 04:47 PM

"John Taverner" > skrev i melding
k...
> Solihull Fine Wine Society October tasting.
>

> Mainzer St Alban Kabinett, 1977, Pieroth!!!!
> Brown, maderised to hell, so lacking in residual alcohol, we thought it
> had to be Germanic, I suggested Falkland Islands Tete de Cuvee.

Pieroth? Are they still in business...? Yes, they seem to be, for some
reason... Certainly not the wines.

> Berncastler Schlosberg Spatlese 1988
> Green tinged viscous, with a complex smokey nose, yet soft with some
> sweetness, long. I hadn'y a clue, only one taster mentioned Riesling!!!

The Schlossberg is singularly undistinguished... I can't remember anything
else than very ordinary wine from that location, and 17 years of hot (?)
storage doesn't help it much, I'm afraid :-)
Anders

Emery Davis 12-10-2005 07:05 PM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:01:15 GMT
"John Taverner" > wrote:

] Ch D'Angludet, 1989. Very similar to the VCC, but lighter in all ares. Again
] a vegetal margaux nose like Brane- Cantenac of old, chewy fruit and spice,
] long, most pleasant but not up to the VCC.

Hi John,

Thanks for the notes. Sorry you had to put yourself through that
one... Do you mean that the '89 d'Angludet was stored badly? I
have some of it, should I drink up?

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

John Taverner 12-10-2005 08:01 PM

Do you mean that the '89 d'Angludet was stored badly? I
> have some of it, should I drink up?

Emery
It had been stored poorly, and still showed well. I f you have some, try a
bottle to assess current maturity. It had masses of extract, and this very
odd baby poo nose, which was very beguiling. Now if this is a result of
being stewed over the years, so be it.
I wish I had some in my cellar.
FWIW, my last tranche of VCC was the 82, it showed well till the mid 90's
and declined rapidly from there in.

John

John Taverner 12-10-2005 09:05 PM

.... Do you mean that the '89 d'Angludet was stored badly? I
> have some of it, should I drink up?

Emery
I posted a reply which I thought your query was re VCC.
It seems to have been lost.

off the plateau and may need reassessing. I cannot comment on one bottle
from a warm cellar.

It was a nice claret, but in shadow of the weighty VCC.

John

Mark Lipton 12-10-2005 10:38 PM

John Taverner wrote:
<SNIP a sad story>

> Lessons learnt
>
> Wines die eventually, especially if your central heating boiler is in your
> cellar.
> In the UK Nottage Hill and Jacobs Creek have a large % of supermarket sales
> of Oz wines. What can I say?

"Life is too short..." Here's hoping that the SFWS can recover from
this misstep, John.

Mark Lipton