FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Benton Lane Pinot Noir 2002 (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/71927-tn-benton-lane-pinot.html)

Steve Timko 12-10-2005 03:32 AM

TN: Benton Lane Pinot Noir 2002

Bought this Oregon PN for $13 and I'm surprised. It's not in a league
with a Siduri, Rozak, Hansel or Talley, but it's surprisingly good. Kind
of a cherry boquet but more darker fruits in the taste. Creamy with some
sophistication -- much more than other wines at the same price point,
like LaCrema. Almost no finish. I don't have the skill to guess if it
will improve with age. Like I said, not an exceptional wine, but I would
drink it again. And unlike a lot of other lesser priced pinot noirs, you
can defintely tell its pinor noir.

Hunt 12-10-2005 03:53 AM

In article > ,
says...

>Bought this Oregon PN for $13 and I'm surprised. It's not in a league
>with a Siduri, Rozak, Hansel or Talley, but it's surprisingly good. Kind
>of a cherry boquet but more darker fruits in the taste. Creamy with some
>sophistication -- much more than other wines at the same price point,
>like LaCrema. Almost no finish. I don't have the skill to guess if it
>will improve with age. Like I said, not an exceptional wine, but I would
>drink it again. And unlike a lot of other lesser priced pinot noirs, you
>can defintely tell its pinor noir.

Steve,

Thanks for the TN's. Haven't tried B-L in some years. Back in the early 90's
they were doing some nice PN's, but about '95 (?) they oaked the heck out of
about 3 weaker vintages. During that time, some others were doing, what I
felt was a better job, so I have been passing over their wines since. I'll
make an effort to look into them again. I'm a bit surprised at the US$13, as
that was about the price-point 10 years ago.

Again, thanks for reawakening an interest in this estate - love the stamp!

Hunt

Steve Timko 12-10-2005 03:32 PM

In article >, says...
> Thanks for the TN's. Haven't tried B-L in some years. Back in the early 90's
> they were doing some nice PN's, but about '95 (?) they oaked the heck out of
> about 3 weaker vintages. During that time, some others were doing, what I
> felt was a better job, so I have been passing over their wines since. I'll
> make an effort to look into them again. I'm a bit surprised at the US$13, as
> that was about the price-point 10 years ago.
>
> Again, thanks for reawakening an interest in this estate - love the stamp!

There was some oak, but not too bad. I bought it on close out from K&L
Wines. It's normally about $16, I think. I'd rather drink this again
than the 2003 Stanford for $25. I knew nothing about it and was
surprised.
The postage stamp is quite distinctive.