Mark Lipton

Default TN: Some '88 Burgs

This weekend, Jean opened up several bottles of '88 Burgundy that she
had acquired earlier this year at auction. The lineup was:

Robert Chevillon NSG "Vaucrains"
Joseph Roty Gevrey-Chambertin "Fontenys"
Faiveley Chambertin-Clos be Beze
Dujac Clos de la Roche
Roty Mazy-Chambertin

All of the wines were opened and aerated a half hour prior to serving.
The foods we had to accompany them were a sauteed mushroom medley on
toast and smoked quail stuffed with a cornbread-andouille stuffing.
There were also a few cheeses and some smoked reindeer courtesy of one
of our guests (a Finn). Because of my duties preparing food and
watching baby, I didn't have a chance to take detailed notes. What
follows are just some general impressions:

All of the wines were quite youthful. The 1ers were even quite primary
in their flavors.

The Roty Fontenys tasted slightly corked to me, though no one else agreed.

The Dujac Clos de la Roche was the unanimous WOTN. It was gorgeously
perfumed with a floral nose, light and delicate on the palate but with
plenty of strawberryish fruit and perfect balance. Wow!

The Roty wines, even in the presence of other Burgs and even with food,
stood out as being quite acidic. Another 5 years in bottle might
benefit them.

Our friend Chris, who dislikes Pinot Noir because it tastes like grape
juice to her, liked all of the wines except the Chevillon (which tasted
like Pinot Noir to her).

Overall, this was a very educational experience, as for many of us it
was our first serious encounter with aged Grand Cru Burgundy. Most of
us left the tasting as converts.

Mark Lipton
DaleW

Thanks for notes. Even for a Chevillon fan, the Dujac being favorite is
no shock.

Vaucrains is probably my fave Chevillon after Les St George.

Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:
> Thanks for notes. Even for a Chevillon fan, the Dujac being favorite is
> no shock.
>
> Vaucrains is probably my fave Chevillon after Les St George.

You're most welcome, Dale. My only regret is that I didn't have better
notes about these wonderful wines, but I rarely had even one hand free
that evening. And (no surprise) the Vaucrains still has years ahead of
it. Fortunately, we got 4 bottles of it at the auction, so we're going
to wait (if Jean lets me) for a few more years...

Mark Lipton

TN: Mostly Burgs DaleW Wine 0 18-12-2012 03:44 AM
Burgs and Bordeaux ugh. Bi!! Wine 2 31-10-2012 07:10 PM
TN: Burgs and a Rioja DaleW Wine 0 10-04-2011 01:40 AM
[tn] Old Burgs never die ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 0 14-01-2006 10:20 AM
[TN] Old Burgs never die ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 8 06-04-2004 06:05 AM