Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default [TN] 1982!

Hello;
Still organoleptically challenged from a a headcold, and yet:
The youngest one who´s born 1982 is leaving for Australia and not likely to
come back for the next year (if then, since his ambition s to make enough
money to continue to Japan, there to study Japanese ... good luck Johan!) so
the father invited hime to ask over a few friends and in honor of the
occasion open a few of the 1982 vintage wines residing in the family cellar
for A Special Occasion.
After a contemporary Mucat d´Alsace from Ginglinger of Orschwir, much to dry
for an aperitif, just acidity and minerals (v high acidity for a Muscat)
which did not meet with high approval, we openede
Puligny-Montrachet 1:er cru Les Pucelles from Vve Henri Moroni 1982.
The worthy widow Mme Moroni had produced a wine with a heady nose of freshly
roasted coffee, followed by the expected nuts & butter, a bit of vanilla but
not much, a surprising sniff of lavender, and a cleansing acidity.
The color, not to be wondered at, an almost saffron yeallow which, in the
glass, gradually darkened, and, after a couple of hours the wine had died
the death of oxidation. Still, a wonderful experience, a wine that will be
long remembered for its complexity, and intensity.
Next: The perennial under-achiever `mongst the second growths of Medoc [1]:
Rausan-Gassies 1982.
The Godfather of the Mickey Mouse splinter group, Magnus, had warned me that
this would in all likelyhood be way over the top, that the R-G´s had died in
the mid 90s, have a back-up bottle ready ...
Hooray, he was WRONG.
This was a serious contender with a good Cab nose, a good acidity and sound
tannic structure, highly enjoyable and good for a few years in the cellar.
Not unforgettable, but a nice Bordeaux with lamb steak and baked veggies,
very good pairing BTW.
Finally, the number one suspect himself, Johan, contributed a gift from his
20th birthday
Sandeman Vintage 1982
Apparently 1982 was not a very good year in the Douro valley, and few
producers declared a vintage.
The vintages produced are said to have low staying power, and they should
mostly be drunk by now [2].
This was a deep ruby red, with purple highlights. Nose intensely peppery
(Piri-piri saue was mentioned) with cherry pits and fieryness.
On the palate dominated by high alcohol, to the point where little else
could be recognized. Bit of a bummer, really. Oh well [ibid].

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

[1] According to some press, the producer, long living in the shadow of its
eminent neighbour, has made serious progress since the late 90s.
[2] I am not a port drinking man. I tend to find port too high in alcohol,
and prone to induce migraine. Anything I say considering port is to be taken
into the account.

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

DaleW

While I think there's not much future left for '82 Ports, there are
some decent (not great ones) out there. I've had Niepoort, Churchhill,
and Martinez , all ok but not great.

TN: 1982 Camensac in CA DaleW Wine 0 05-10-2009 06:11 PM
1982 Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 6 29-05-2009 05:48 PM
TN: 1982 Lanessan DaleW Wine 0 14-09-2008 04:42 PM
TN 1982 Claret act one John T Wine 4 17-11-2007 04:31 AM
FS: 1982 Don't Eat Your Heart Out Cookbook SC 1982 katie-mae Marketplace 0 28-05-2004 05:29 PM