Mark Lipton

Default NYT article on wines of the Languedoc

Today's NY Times contains an article by Eric Asimov about the wines of
the Languedoc. It's not terribly profound, although generally factually
correct (exception: AFAIK carignan is not an allowed varietal in the S.
Rhone, unless one includes Costières de Nîmes/Bouche du Rhone). In
their tasting, the top wines are from estates I don't know well (Ch. de
Lascaux, Mas de Chimères, Jean-Michel Alquier, Ch. Belles Eaux) and ones
I do know (Mas Jullien, Ch. de Lancyre). Of no great surprise is that
the two top wines are brought in by Kermit Lynch and Louis/Dressner, and
of particular worry to Dale W will be their designation of the '04 Iche
'Les Heretiques' as a "Best Buy." So much for NYC stocks of it... ;-)

Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/07/dining/07wine.html

Mark Lipton
DaleW

Hey, didn't I just post this? Anyway, you're right, I'm ****ed!

But I do think that Carignan is allowed in Cotes du Rhone, though not
in CdP.

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
>
>> Hey, didn't I just post this? Anyway, you're right, I'm ****ed!
>>
>> But I do think that Carignan is allowed in Cotes du Rhone, though not
>> in CdP.
>>

> CdP, alias Chato9 = Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault, Muscardin,
> Counoise, Clairette, Bourboulenc, Picpoul, Roussanne, Terret Noir,
> Picardan, Vaccarese
>
> Put all that on a label... ;-)

And don't forget that "hidden" 14th cepage: Grenache blanc. Do you know
if Dale's right about Carignan in CdR?

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:

> Hey, didn't I just post this? Anyway, you're right, I'm ****ed!

I saw your post on WLDG while checking the update of the Katrina thread,
and tried to reply, but no joy: its buggy SQL code crapped out on me. I
really *hate* that forum software, for this and other reasons. And no
HTTP forum that I've yet seen matches newsreaders for intelligent
threading (grumble grumble). Hey, I may yet make "curmudgeon" if I keep
this up!

> But I do think that Carignan is allowed in Cotes du Rhone, though not
> in CdP.

Interesting point -- I'll check with my sources when I get the chance
(2006 perhaps)

Mark Lipton
Steve Slatcher

On 7 Sep 2005 13:18:53 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:

>But I do think that Carignan is allowed in Cotes du Rhone

CdR is typically Grenache, Carignan and Cinsault (max 30% Carignan)

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Emery Davis

]
] >But I do think that Carignan is allowed in Cotes du Rhone
]
] CdR is typically Grenache, Carignan and Cinsault (max 30% Carignan)
]

Hi,

I can certainly confirm that carignan is allowed to 30% max in generic
CdR, and 20% max in CdR villages, including for example Rasteau etc.
However in the ex-villages (e.g. Gigondas, Vacqueyras) it is not allowed.

Honestly I don't think it would be typical to find carignan in generic CdR.
I'm sure there are many examples either way.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Mark Lipton

Emery Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:26:49 +0100, Steve Slatcher > said:
>
> ] On 7 Sep 2005 13:18:53 -0700, "DaleW" > wrote:
> ]
> ] >But I do think that Carignan is allowed in Cotes du Rhone
> ]
> ] CdR is typically Grenache, Carignan and Cinsault (max 30% Carignan)
> ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I can certainly confirm that carignan is allowed to 30% max in generic
> CdR, and 20% max in CdR villages, including for example Rasteau etc.
> However in the ex-villages (e.g. Gigondas, Vacqueyras) it is not allowed.
>
> Honestly I don't think it would be typical to find carignan in generic CdR.
> I'm sure there are many examples either way.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll have to retract my criticism of Mr.
Asimov's fact checking.

Mark Lipton