FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 2004 Luneau-Papin Muscadet (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/68535-tn-2004-luneau-papin.html)

DaleW 26-08-2005 09:11 PM

TN: 2004 Luneau-Papin Muscadet

Another gorgeous cool summer night, and Betsy had me grill a mess of
clams and mussels. While I was setting them on grill I sipped a bit of
remaining '96 Baumard Savennieres, which showed richer than previous
night, though with some light oxidation.

As the shellfish came off the grill we carefully placed in a big bowl,
Betsy then drizzled with a garlic/parsley/sesame butter. Served
alongside some green beans and Crenshaw melon, with lots of bread to
sop the juice/sauce. I thought that maybe the leftover '04 Oncone
Falanghina would be a good choice considering the sauce, but a little
bit of oxidation and the inherent Falanghina nutty/bitter note seemed
to clash. A much better match was the 2004 Luneau-Papin "Domaine Pierre
de La Grange" Vieilles Vignes Muscadet. Lighter-styled Muscadet, with
a fresh seabreeze nose and a pleasantly crisp citrus bite. I enjoy this
more than a previous bottle - it's different than the Pepiere I love,
but close to equal in quality. There's a seashell/calcium quality to
the finish, very nice with the food (I thought the butter/garlic might
be too much, but fine actually). B++

Santiago 26-08-2005 10:57 PM

Thanks for your note, Dale,

I was a bit worried for my next visit to the Loire Valley next october,
considering that 2003 was not a great vintage and I had not many news on
the 2004. I travelled around Savennieres last year and it rained all the
week I stayed there (with many vignerons picking that days).

Since this Pierre de la Grange is usually available at one of the shops I
usually shop, I think it is time to buy a few bottles to see how it
develops in the next years.

Best,

S.

Lawrence Leichtman 28-08-2005 09:25 PM

Interesting. Had the exact same Muscadet on Friday night with grilled
shrimp. Nice salty taste. Agree with the rating a high B+. I bought 4
more bottles on Saturday.