Jose

Default Oregon wines

I'll be in Seattle and Portland in early September. Any reccomendations
on wineries to visit? I'm partial to reds, like Cabs, Zins, Syrahs, and
Cab Franc, though I understand that Oregon has nice Pinots.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
cutecat

"Jose" > wrote in message
> I'll be in Seattle and Portland in early September. Any reccomendations
> on wineries to visit? I'm partial to reds, like Cabs, Zins, Syrahs, and
> Cab Franc, though I understand that Oregon has nice Pinots.
>
> Jose
> --
> Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
> except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no
> universe.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Owen Roe, Ponzi, Cameron near Portland. Pinots are indeed the wine of the
area, both Noir and Gris.

Washington's best reds are Merlots, Syrahs, and Cabs from grapes of the Red
Mountain region. Try the Tasting Room at Pike Place Market in Seattle to
reach a number of wineries in one swoop. Matt's at the Market is a great,
small, wine smart restaurant in the Market, and Etta's Seafood is also good.

In Woodinville, if you call ahead, you can sometimes get into DeLille,
Novelty Hill and Mark Ryan. DiStephano usually has their tasting area open.
The touristy standards are Chateau Ste. Michelle and Columbia (in
Woodinville). Eat at the Barking Frog or the Herbfarm if you go there.
Washington wines are generally made from grapes grown on the east side of
the Cascade Mtns--Seattle is on the western side, on Puget Sound. If you
have time, you could take a detour to Yakima and Prosser, where many of the
smaller wineries like Cayuse are.

Have fun!

AyTee

Lots of wineries in the Newberg-Dundee-McMinneville area near Portland.
Domaine Drouhin for outstanding Pinot; Domaine Serene for ostentatious
glitz -- and the wine is good; and a new one, White Rose. All three are
adjacent to each other for your convenience in the Red Hills area of
Dundee. I am new to the area, so those with more knowledge than I will
surely fill in the blanks.

Andy

Mark Lipton

cutecat wrote:

> Owen Roe, Ponzi, Cameron near Portland. Pinots are indeed the wine of the
> area, both Noir and Gris.

Owen Roe used to (and may still) make a very decent Syrah from a
vineyard near Walla Walla. Ponzi's wines have failed to impress me on
my several visits to their tasting room in Dundee, but they have the
advantage of having a tasting room in Beaverton, nearer to Portland than
any other serious winery. FWIW, I'd suggest getting out of Portland and
heading to Dundee, where I'd recommend Chehalem, Torii Mor and Lange for
visits and lunch at Ponzi.

Mark Lipton

dan

Mark Lipton wrote:
> cutecat wrote:
>

>>Owen Roe, Ponzi, Cameron near Portland. Pinots are indeed the wine of the
>>area, both Noir and Gris.

> Owen Roe used to (and may still) make a very decent Syrah from a
> vineyard near Walla Walla. Ponzi's wines have failed to impress me on
> my several visits to their tasting room in Dundee, but they have the
> advantage of having a tasting room in Beaverton, nearer to Portland than
> any other serious winery. FWIW, I'd suggest getting out of Portland and
> heading to Dundee, where I'd recommend Chehalem, Torii Mor and Lange for
> visits and lunch at Ponzi.
>
> Mark Lipton

Owen Roe still produces a Syrah and a decent Cab from the Dubrul
vineyard near Walla Walla. Sineann, Owen Roe's sister makes a couple of
Cabs from the Champoux Vineyard near Walla Walla, not to mention a hand
full of Oregon Pinots and an Old vine Zin that puts most Cal Zins to
shame. If you plan on being in the Portland/Newberg area, Sineann/Owen
Roe will be having a having a new release tasting on Sept 17th.

I second Mark's recommendation of Chehalem and for the scenery around Lange.

Dante
Jose

> If you plan on being in the Portland/Newberg area, Sineann/Owen Roe will be having a having a new release tasting on Sept 17th.

Alas, a week too late.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
dan

Jose wrote:
>> If you plan on being in the Portland/Newberg area, Sineann/Owen Roe
>> will be having a having a new release tasting on Sept 17th.

> Alas, a week too late.
>
> Jose

Email Peter at sineann-AT-pcez-DOT-com. I'm sure that you could arrange
a tasting before the 17th.
Richard Neidich

The Dundee Bistro and the Ponzi Wine Bar are next to each other...they are
both nice. The people at the wine bar can help you with calling wineries
and making some appointments for you.

Personally I like Domaine Serene, Domain Drouhin as well as Ponzi.

I have found that Ponzi Pinots seem to drink better after a few years of
aging. The regular Ponzi Pinot Bottling is good at release and then shuts
down. The reserves are 10 year wines.

Another favorite for me is on the way to Erath Vineyards on Red Hill...the
place is Marresh Vineyards. They don't actually bottle themselves but they
have Rex Hill and Archery Summitt bottle for them. I tend to LOVE their
wine.

Thats about all.

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> cutecat wrote:
>
>> Owen Roe, Ponzi, Cameron near Portland. Pinots are indeed the wine of
>> the
>> area, both Noir and Gris.

> Owen Roe used to (and may still) make a very decent Syrah from a
> vineyard near Walla Walla. Ponzi's wines have failed to impress me on
> my several visits to their tasting room in Dundee, but they have the
> advantage of having a tasting room in Beaverton, nearer to Portland than
> any other serious winery. FWIW, I'd suggest getting out of Portland and
> heading to Dundee, where I'd recommend Chehalem, Torii Mor and Lange for
> visits and lunch at Ponzi.
>
> Mark Lipton

AyTee

>Personally I like Domaine Serene....

I liked their wine and the setting is stunningly beautiful. But I half
expected me and my Nissan pickup to be escorted off the premesis. To
their credit, they were friendly and they let me taste their wine. I
did pay the exorbitant tasting fee, after all.

Andy