Martin Field

Default Jimmy Watson Trophy

The Geoff Merrill McLaren Vale Reserve Shiraz 2004 won Australia's most
prestigious wine prize the Jimmy Watson Trophy at the Royal Melbourne Wine
Show Awards dinner last night. Geoff Merrill's current reserve shiraz -
selling for $40 - is the 1999 vintage, so we are not likely to see the 2004
bottling on the shelves until 2009/2010.

The Jimmy Watson Trophy is awarded to the best 2004 vintage red from show
classes 19 to 23, that is, cabernet sauvignon, shiraz, pinot noir, merlot,
and other blends. Of the nearly 4,400 wines judged, a staggering 1020 wines
were in the running for this one main prize, one wag at the awards dinner
suggesting that the trophy is so important to winemakers and the prestige of
the Royal Melbourne Wine Show that the event will eventually be renamed as
the Royal Jimmy Watson Wine Show.

Cheers!
Martin

Mark Lipton

Martin Field wrote:
> The Geoff Merrill McLaren Vale Reserve Shiraz 2004 won Australia's most
> prestigious wine prize the Jimmy Watson Trophy at the Royal Melbourne Wine
> Show Awards dinner last night. Geoff Merrill's current reserve shiraz -
> selling for $40 - is the 1999 vintage, so we are not likely to see the 2004
> bottling on the shelves until 2009/2010.

Martin,
Did you get a chance to taste it? If so, did you agree with the
verdict?

Mark Lipton
Martin Field

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Martin Field wrote:
>> The Geoff Merrill McLaren Vale Reserve Shiraz 2004 won Australia's most
>> prestigious wine prize the Jimmy Watson Trophy at the Royal Melbourne
>> Wine Show Awards dinner last night. Geoff Merrill's current reserve
>> shiraz - selling for $40 - is the 1999 vintage, so we are not likely to
>> see the 2004 bottling on the shelves until 2009/2010.

> Martin,
> Did you get a chance to taste it? If so, did you agree with the
> verdict?
>
> Mark Lipton

Hi Mark - No - as far as I know only the judges have tasted it so far. I
tasted the cream of the Jimmy Watson contenders last year tho' - all high
quality and only a whisker between the winners and the also-rans to my
humble
palate.

Martin

CSPI endorses Dietz and Watson's Turkey Kalmia General Cooking 4 26-02-2011 06:57 AM
Watson Estate Gingerbread Waffles Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 03-06-2006 04:23 PM
Watson Estate Gingerbread Waffles Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 03-06-2006 04:23 PM
Obituary: Donald Watson Steve Vegan 1 21-11-2005 08:18 PM
Casella wins Jimmy Watson Trophy Martin Field Wine 7 15-08-2004 12:11 PM