Richard Neidich

Default The Road Less Traveled Wines of Napa. Sonoma. Russian River

Just returned from 10 days in wine country. This year instead of revisiting
many of the same ole corporate wineries like Silver Oak, Caymus we went to
places we had never done before and it was incredible.

Reverie on Diamond Mountain is a real gem. Incredible red wines.

El Molino is a very small producer of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Total
1800 cases of incredible wines. They date back to the 1800's and during
prohibition operated as a ghost winery. What I found amazing is that their
fruit is from Rutherford and that is Cabernet/Merlot country. Wines are
very ageable and we tried a 20 year old Chard that was incredible.

Stony Hill on Spring Mountain was another amazing find. They have
incredible Chardonnay, Gvertz, white reislings. They are very ageable as
well. Had a 30 year old Chard that was amazing. Who says that California
whites do not age...Also we bought some older Semillon sweet table wines for
dessert or to serve with seared foie gras. This wine is very y'qem like.
Prices were amazingly low and I was told it's because the family is not
increasing prices just to do the California thing.

Other amazing wines.

Martinelli wines of Russian Valley, Gary Ferrel, and Rochioli were all
excellent.

We did other wineries that were of the road less traveled but these stood
out the most.

Dick

Joel

Dick,

Are any of the wines you mentioned in the affordable price range, say
under 20 bucks?

Richard Neidich

Yes. Some of the Stony Hill whites are well under $20.

Also the Martinelli is as well.

Dick

"Joel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dick,
>
> Are any of the wines you mentioned in the affordable price range, say
> under 20 bucks?

Joseph B. Rosenberg

Bean Guy: I'm on the Stony Hill mail list---met Mrs McRae grand dame of wine
country left in 1984. Besides long lasting chard, semillon is a treat.
Bcauseof MD's jihad against shipping wine haven't placed an ordrr in awhile
but I know who has a stash. Recently had 90 Chard, which was on gentle
decline.
"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Yes. Some of the Stony Hill whites are well under $20.
>
> Also the Martinelli is as well.
>
> Dick
>

> "Joel" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Dick,
> >
> > Are any of the wines you mentioned in the affordable price range, say
> > under 20 bucks?

Richard Neidich

Why is it I only see you with candle wax on your shoulders and almost on
fire? :-)

"Joseph B. Rosenberg" > wrote in message
> Bean Guy: I'm on the Stony Hill mail list---met Mrs McRae grand dame of
> wine
> country left in 1984. Besides long lasting chard, semillon is a treat.
> Bcauseof MD's jihad against shipping wine haven't placed an ordrr in
> awhile
> but I know who has a stash. Recently had 90 Chard, which was on gentle
> decline.
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Yes. Some of the Stony Hill whites are well under $20.
>>
>> Also the Martinelli is as well.
>>
>> Dick
>>

>> "Joel" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Dick,
>> >
>> > Are any of the wines you mentioned in the affordable price range, say
>> > under 20 bucks?

Dana H. Myers

Richard Neidich wrote:
> Just returned from 10 days in wine country. This year instead of revisiting
> many of the same ole corporate wineries like Silver Oak, Caymus we went to
> places we had never done before and it was incredible.
>
> Reverie on Diamond Mountain is a real gem. Incredible red wines.

I love the A.S. Kiken red blend and it's sort of affordable at $30.

> El Molino is a very small producer of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Total
> 1800 cases of incredible wines. They date back to the 1800's and during
> prohibition operated as a ghost winery. What I found amazing is that their
> fruit is from Rutherford and that is Cabernet/Merlot country. Wines are
> very ageable and we tried a 20 year old Chard that was incredible.

I was fortunate enough to attend a party at friend's house last year
at which we tasted a number of older Pinot Noirs; while the details
escape me, the consensus favorite was an early 90s El Molino, which
was good since Reg Oliver (of El Molino) was at the party. It is
quite unfortunate that Reg recently passed away but I certainly hope
El Mo continues on with the amazing contrarian wines.

Dana

Off to Napa/Sonoma Bi!! Wine 2 10-05-2010 04:11 AM
Favorite Sonoma and Napa Valley wines? Agent Red Wine 6 22-07-2008 08:42 PM
First impression of Trader Joe's "Napa River" wines Dana H. Myers Wine 1 08-10-2006 10:59 PM
Russian River Damnation Bill Becker Beer 6 06-12-2005 04:06 PM
Russian river whites Emilio Castelli Wine 2 29-06-2005 10:55 PM