Gary

Default Sangria ???

After finding what looked like a great Sangria recipe, I took the low road
and bought a 32oz bottle of SANGRIA ROJA MIX at William Sanoma which is a
recipe from Rick Bayless:

http://tinyurl.com/8xbkl

The bottle says "Just add Wine".

Ok, I bought a bottle of Carlos Rossi Burgundy which is supposed to be an
acceptable inexpensive, dry table wine for Sangria.

Some questions:

(1) Even though the directions on Bayless' mix says to add one bottle of
chilled, red, fruity wine to two cups (16 oz.) of the Sangria mix, it
doesn't say what amount of wine in ounces. I bought the biggest bottle of
Carlos Rossi Burgundy and it comes in different sizes.

How much red wine do I add to the Sangria mix?

(2) This Sangria mix from Bayless has no alcohol in it. I wonder if I should
add some Contreau to the mixture? I am asking because that is what I have
seen in other recipes. More alcohol than just wine.

(3) How about adding some cut fruit into the pitcher or is that overkill?

Thanks,

Gary

Ken Blake

In news:T1xEe.563$3p2.283@trndny04,
Gary > typed:

> After finding what looked like a great Sangria recipe, I took
> the low
> road and bought a 32oz bottle of SANGRIA ROJA MIX at William
> Sanoma
> which is a recipe from Rick Bayless:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8xbkl
>
> The bottle says "Just add Wine".
>
> Ok, I bought a bottle of Carlos Rossi Burgundy which is
> supposed to
> be an acceptable inexpensive, dry table wine for Sangria.

It's inexpensive. Whether it's acceptable depends on your taste.
It wouldn't be to me.

> Some questions:
>
> (1) Even though the directions on Bayless' mix says to add one
> bottle
> of chilled, red, fruity wine to two cups (16 oz.) of the
> Sangria mix,
> it doesn't say what amount of wine in ounces. I bought the
> biggest
> bottle of Carlos Rossi Burgundy and it comes in different
> sizes.
>
> How much red wine do I add to the Sangria mix?

The word "bottle," although it may seem non-specific, is actually
a specific standard size. It's 750 mL, approximately 25 oz.

> (2) This Sangria mix from Bayless has no alcohol in it. I
> wonder if I
> should add some Contreau to the mixture? I am asking because
> that is
> what I have seen in other recipes. More alcohol than just wine.

There are many different ways to make sangria. try it without it
and then add a little to see if *you* think it's an improvement.

> (3) How about adding some cut fruit into the pitcher or is that
> overkill?

That also is commonly done. Again, try it and see what you think.
I'm not a sangria lover, so none of this excites me. But that's
fine; there's lots of room in the world for different tastes.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:39:31 GMT, "Gary" >
wrote:

>After finding what looked like a great Sangria recipe, I took the low road
>and bought a 32oz bottle of SANGRIA ROJA MIX at William Sanoma which is a
>recipe from Rick Bayless:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/8xbkl
>
>The bottle says "Just add Wine".
>
>Ok, I bought a bottle of Carlos Rossi Burgundy which is supposed to be an
>acceptable inexpensive, dry table wine for Sangria.
>
>Some questions:
>
>(1) Even though the directions on Bayless' mix says to add one bottle of
>chilled, red, fruity wine to two cups (16 oz.) of the Sangria mix, it
>doesn't say what amount of wine in ounces. I bought the biggest bottle of
>Carlos Rossi Burgundy and it comes in different sizes.
>
>How much red wine do I add to the Sangria mix?
>
>(2) This Sangria mix from Bayless has no alcohol in it. I wonder if I should
>add some Contreau to the mixture? I am asking because that is what I have
>seen in other recipes. More alcohol than just wine.
>
>(3) How about adding some cut fruit into the pitcher or is that overkill?

Sangria shouldn't require any special "mix"--it's a matter of art, not
science. Mixes are just someone's way to make a $.

Start with some inexpensive dry red wine--your Carlos Rossi is as good
as any and better than some. Throw in a couple of thin slices of
lemon, maybe a slice or two of orange, and if you feel flamboyant, add
some sliced peaches, nectarines, strawberries or other sweet fruit in
season.

Traditionally the sangria is jacked up an alcoholic notch with a
dollop of Spanish brandy, cointreau, Grand Marnier or other spirits.
If you don't like the high alcohol idea, throw in a half cup or so of
red vermouth (it gives a nice spiciness.) In Spain, they sweeten the
mix with a liberal addition of sugar, but I've found that Equal,
Splenda or Nutri-Sweet work well.

Add ice to the pitcher (use large cubes or even small blocks to avoid
excess dilution). The idea is to make it cold, not watery. Stir to mix
things together and then before serving add a bottle of club soda
(Spanish "agua gaseosa"). This lightens the drink and makes it
pleasantly refreshing.

Feel free to dig the fruit out and consume.

As you make Sangria, you'll gain a feel for proportions and modify
your recipe to your own personal taste.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
D. Gerasimatos

Ed's recipe is a good one. I usually make Martha Stewart's recipe (to rave
reviews) and it is similar. The wine I use is Neonato Rioja, a 100%
tempranillo wine found for about (or under $10).

Dimitri

Michael Pronay

Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> ... before serving add a bottle of club soda (Spanish "agua
> gaseosa").

A bottle of Cava would equally do a good job.

M.

Mark Lipton

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
> Ed's recipe is a good one. I usually make Martha Stewart's recipe (to rave
> reviews) and it is similar. The wine I use is Neonato Rioja, a 100%
> tempranillo wine found for about (or under $10).

On those occasions when I've made Sangria (along similar lines to Ed's
recipe, though I usually look for bitter oranges if I can find them)
I've tended to use Torres's Sangre de Toro, which usually makes a very
acceptable Sangria. I think that the fruitiness of the Garnacha helps,
but YMMV.

Mark Lipton

White Sangria Jane Recipes (moderated) 0 02-06-2006 11:08 PM
Sangria [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-06-2005 04:26 AM
Sangria Vincent Wine 2 22-12-2004 04:02 PM
Sangria St. Matthew General 7 08-09-2004 11:29 PM
Sangria St. Matthew General 0 27-08-2004 01:18 AM