Chris Sprague

Default Obscure wine recommendations

OK, I admit that this is a very vague request, and obscure is a
relative term, I suppose.

I am hosting a wine tasting party in 3 weeks, and I wanted to do
something a bit different for my contribution this time. In the past,
I have gravitated towards mid-range things like Ridge Lytton Springs,
Bollinger NV, Chateau Gloria, etc.

This time, I want to bring something that I can be sure that nobody has
ever had. I don't know what is available in Maine from such places as
Switzerland, Luxembourg, or other small countries, but that's the sort
of thing I'm looking for. I tried to find some Z de l'Arjolle (zin
from the Languedoc), but was not successful.

So along those lines, what are some relatively obscure offerings that
are also at least possible to find in the States with a little effort?
Maine and NH are equally accessible for me, in terms of distribution,
if that helps.

- Chris

Grignolino...

Chris Sprague wrote:
> OK, I admit that this is a very vague request, and obscure is a
> relative term, I suppose.
>
> I am hosting a wine tasting party in 3 weeks, and I wanted to do
> something a bit different for my contribution this time. In the past,
> I have gravitated towards mid-range things like Ridge Lytton Springs,
> Bollinger NV, Chateau Gloria, etc.
>
> This time, I want to bring something that I can be sure that nobody has
> ever had. I don't know what is available in Maine from such places as
> Switzerland, Luxembourg, or other small countries, but that's the sort
> of thing I'm looking for. I tried to find some Z de l'Arjolle (zin
> from the Languedoc), but was not successful.
>
> So along those lines, what are some relatively obscure offerings that
> are also at least possible to find in the States with a little effort?
> Maine and NH are equally accessible for me, in terms of distribution,
> if that helps.
>
> - Chris

Emery Davis

]
] I am hosting a wine tasting party in 3 weeks, and I wanted to do
] something a bit different for my contribution this time. In the past,
] I have gravitated towards mid-range things like Ridge Lytton Springs,
] Bollinger NV, Chateau Gloria, etc.
]
] This time, I want to bring something that I can be sure that nobody has
] ever had. I don't know what is available in Maine from such places as
] Switzerland, Luxembourg, or other small countries, but that's the sort
] of thing I'm looking for. I tried to find some Z de l'Arjolle (zin
] from the Languedoc), but was not successful.
]

Hi Chris,

Interesting challenge -- let's see if I can get the ball rolling
with some french suggestions.

How about a VDN rouge from Rasteau? Rare in the states,
but IIRC K&L used to stock one. One of the best is from
La Soumade, Didier Charavin also makes a good one.

Pinot d'Aunis, a Coteaux du Loir? Can be quite bizarre,
always a crowd stumper. Seems to me I've seen someone
mention this cepage recently on afw.

While we're in the neighborhood, how about a Jasnieres?

More obscure stuff from the Rhone, perhaps a nice Chatillon-en
-Diois Gamay? Or a light bubbly Clairette de Die tradition from
Faure or Vincent? Or a warm weather syrah from the Coteaux des
Baronnies.

I'll bet someone here will come up with (at least) a good swiss
that's available, not sure about the Luxemburgois, though...

Weather must just be getting nice up there in vacationland.
Good luck with your search!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
www.winemonger.com

I would suggest one of the more obscure Austrian varietals, such as a
dry Furmint (Heidi Schrock is a good producer, and I know it is
imported here to the US) or a Neuburger (I would recommend Gritsch
Mauritiushof, which I also know is available here in the US because we
import this one)
Have fun!

e.

www.winemonger.com

Ack! How did my "nickname" change? That's no good...

Bill Jordan

"Chris Sprague" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> OK, I admit that this is a very vague request, and obscure is a
> relative term, I suppose.
>
> I am hosting a wine tasting party in 3 weeks, and I wanted to do
> something a bit different for my contribution this time. In the past,
> I have gravitated towards mid-range things like Ridge Lytton Springs,
> Bollinger NV, Chateau Gloria, etc.
>
> This time, I want to bring something that I can be sure that nobody has
> ever had. I don't know what is available in Maine from such places as
> Switzerland, Luxembourg, or other small countries, but that's the sort
> of thing I'm looking for. I tried to find some Z de l'Arjolle (zin
> from the Languedoc), but was not successful.
>
> So along those lines, what are some relatively obscure offerings that
> are also at least possible to find in the States with a little effort?
> Maine and NH are equally accessible for me, in terms of distribution,
> if that helps.
>
> - Chris

Hello Chris,

I served a 1993 Royal Tokaji Aszu Essencia to my wine group a couple of
years ago and they still talk about it. Available in the Seattle area for
ca. $170 USD. I've thought about putting together a horizontal of '93 Aszu
Essencias -- Royal Tokaji, Disznoko, Bodvin, Pajzos -- but the thought of
costly infanticide on that scale has always held me back. Maybe in 2013....

--Bill

Cwdjrx _

Chateau-Chalon from the Jura in France is not an estate but rather a
village and AC. Several sell it, with Henri Maire being one I have seen
in the US in the past - I have not shopped for it recently. It is a
light yellow white wine that is made in a style somewhat like dry
sherry, but the taste is quite different from dry sherry. Your guests
will have a strong reaction to this wine - some will love it and some
will hate it. It is a very bold wine.

Chateau Simone in the AC Palette in Provence France makes red, white and
pink wines that have considerable character and are different in taste
from most better known wines. I have seen both the red and white n the
US in the past, but again I have not shopped for it recently.

Southern Italian wines are now much better know on the export market
than in the past. One fine wine that many have not tasted is Aglianico
del Vulture from a good source such as Donato d'Angelo. The Riserva
often is best, and this powerful red needs a few years of age to smooth
out.

Reply to .

Chris Sprague

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I shopped around Portland
yesterday, and wasn't able to find a lot in the way of obscure wine,
but I did find one that piqued my interest enough to buy it:

Chateau Musar 1997.

I'm quite sure nobody in my circle of friends has had wine from
Lebanon, and I've heard that this is an excellent wine. I know that
this isn't very obscure in terms of style, but it is somewhat obscure
in terms of origin.

- Chris

jcoulter

"Chris Sprague" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I shopped around Portland
> yesterday, and wasn't able to find a lot in the way of obscure wine,
> but I did find one that piqued my interest enough to buy it:
>
> Chateau Musar 1997.
>
> I'm quite sure nobody in my circle of friends has had wine from
> Lebanon, and I've heard that this is an excellent wine. I know that
> this isn't very obscure in terms of style, but it is somewhat obscure
> in terms of origin.
>
> - Chris

My local wine shop has that, do let us know how it goes.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Emery Davis

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:13:52 -0500, jcoulter > said:

] "Chris Sprague" > wrote in
] oups.com:
]
[]
] > Chateau Musar 1997.
] >
[]
]
] My local wine shop has that, do let us know how it goes.
]

I think this is an excellent choice. Hochar's wines should be
much more widely known. They often present tremendous
value, also. Although I haven't had this 97 I've enjoyed many
others.

Here's a note I pulled from their site www.chateaumusar.com.lb.
IIRC they have notes on practically all the available vintages.

"1997: First tasted with Serge Hochar in the Chateau Musar cellars,
December 1999. The wine
was still in individual vats: Cinsault from the garrigues of Kefraya in
the Bekaa Valley: crisp, fragrant; attractive, some elegance.
Carignan from Ana, a little further north: more flesh, nice fruit, very
tannic. Cabernet Sauvignon was an incredibly deep colour; green,
stalkv nose; austere, astringent. It would be another year before
blending.
Most recently, seemed fully developed, good flavour, lovely aftertaste.
Last tasted May 2002 ****"

-E
] --
] Joseph Coulter
] Cruises and Vacations
] http://www.josephcoulter.com/
]

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

Emery Davis

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:19:41 +0200, Emery Davis > said:

[]
] Last tasted May 2002 ****"

Sorry, the attribution seems to have gotten lost in the copy/paste.

It's from Michael Broadbent.

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Joseph B. Rosenberg

Maine=Bartlett Farms--best fruit wines in US especially dry Blueberry & the
nectars. Cernaglia(sp) in Vt for apple wines. In western Mass is Nashoba not
as good as Bartlett but a cut above everyone else. Only whine in NH is the
bitching after the promaries every 4 years.

As far as obscure--Big Y in Mass & some Boston shops or take a trip to NYC
and hook up with Neal Rosenthal's shop, Ardsley or a shop in Chelsea next to
some food stands.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Grignolino...
>
> Chris Sprague wrote:
> > OK, I admit that this is a very vague request, and obscure is a
> > relative term, I suppose.
> >
> > I am hosting a wine tasting party in 3 weeks, and I wanted to do
> > something a bit different for my contribution this time. In the past,
> > I have gravitated towards mid-range things like Ridge Lytton Springs,
> > Bollinger NV, Chateau Gloria, etc.
> >
> > This time, I want to bring something that I can be sure that nobody has
> > ever had. I don't know what is available in Maine from such places as
> > Switzerland, Luxembourg, or other small countries, but that's the sort
> > of thing I'm looking for. I tried to find some Z de l'Arjolle (zin
> > from the Languedoc), but was not successful.
> >
> > So along those lines, what are some relatively obscure offerings that
> > are also at least possible to find in the States with a little effort?
> > Maine and NH are equally accessible for me, in terms of distribution,
> > if that helps.
> >
> > - Chris

Chris Sprague

Bartlett Farms isn't exaclty obscure up here. They make it about 15
miles away from where I'm hosting the tasting :-)

There's another Maine winery that I know of, Blacksmith's in South
Casco (www.blacksmithswinery.com), who makes wines from sourced grapes
from out of state. A few of them are decent, but their higher end
wines seem to be their worst.

The others you mentioned sound intersting.

wine recommendations Blah Wine 1 18-08-2006 09:33 AM
Obscure request for German wine with "Loth" in name [email protected] Wine 3 23-07-2006 09:05 AM
wine recommendations J. Dan. Wine 2 11-03-2006 12:48 PM
Wine recommendations? [email protected] Wine 6 10-03-2006 10:03 PM
REQ: Wine Recommendations jmcquown General Cooking 19 26-04-2004 02:53 PM