Dick R.

Default Wine Spectator

Hi all,
After subscribing to WS for a number of years, I've
decided not to renew. In my early wine days WS was
interesting, but now it has become an expensive
10 minute read. I think it's a better idea to post
my questions to this NG. OK?

Dick R. (still clueless after all these years)
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:59:25 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Hi all,
>After subscribing to WS for a number of years, I've
>decided not to renew. In my early wine days WS was
>interesting, but now it has become an expensive
>10 minute read. I think it's a better idea to post
>my questions to this NG. OK?
>
>Dick R. (still clueless after all these years)

I resumed my subscription after a three year hiatus. Now, after the
year is up, I'm following you.

The restaurant reviews are about off-the-wall joints that are so
"in-crowd" that no one will ever find them when the get to visit the
cities covered. The lodging has become similar with the recent issue
on "wine country" tours that included Texas, N. Carolina, NY and an
unrecognized (but undoubtedly really "in") county in CA, recommending
a number of tiny inns and B&Bs with typically 6-8 rooms.

Gotta confess the wine reviews are occasionally interesting, but the
"good buy" stuff is mostly super-market/liquor warehouse sort of
$8-10/bottle and then the rest is out there in the $100+++ range.

IOW, they've outlived their usefulness to guys like me. Too bad,
really. I'll raise a glass tonight to their demise. (And then chuckle
softly thinking that Shanken could never beat out a former tactical
aviator for the pretty girl at the bar....)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Tom S

"Dick R." > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> After subscribing to WS for a number of years, I've
> decided not to renew. In my early wine days WS was
> interesting, but now it has become an expensive
> 10 minute read. I think it's a better idea to post
> my questions to this NG. OK?

Absolutely! Send _us_ the $$ instead. :^)

BTW, in _my_ earlier wine days WS was a freebie on the counter of the local
wine shops.

Tom S

Dick R.

Tom S wrote:

> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>After subscribing to WS for a number of years, I've
>>decided not to renew. In my early wine days WS was
>>interesting, but now it has become an expensive
>>10 minute read. I think it's a better idea to post
>>my questions to this NG. OK?

> Absolutely! Send _us_ the $$ instead. :^)
>
> Tom S

Hey Tom,
No, no, no, no, I think I'll spend the $$$ saved by not
renewing my subscription to WS on a few bottles instead.
Sorry. :-(

Dick R.
Fawn Dobie

Agreed! I only wish I hadn't done the multiple year renewal. It has become
a 10 minute read and most of the content is useless. The tasting notes read
like advertisements (and are!), the prices reflect that they are either jug
wines or unobtainable cult offerings. The unfortunte thing is once the
"Wine Speculator" blesses a wine with a 90+ rating it disappears or the
prices go up.

The Wine Enthusiast seems to be like the "old" WS, but they are even
drifting off topic.

"Dick R." > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> After subscribing to WS for a number of years, I've
> decided not to renew. In my early wine days WS was
> interesting, but now it has become an expensive
> 10 minute read. I think it's a better idea to post
> my questions to this NG. OK?
>
> Dick R. (still clueless after all these years)

Steve Slatcher

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 12:48:46 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Tom S wrote:
>
>> "Dick R." > wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>After subscribing to WS for a number of years, I've
>>>decided not to renew. In my early wine days WS was
>>>interesting, but now it has become an expensive
>>>10 minute read. I think it's a better idea to post
>>>my questions to this NG. OK?

>> Absolutely! Send _us_ the $$ instead. :^)
>>
>> Tom S
>>

>Hey Tom,
>No, no, no, no, I think I'll spend the $$$ saved by not
>renewing my subscription to WS on a few bottles instead.
>Sorry. :-(

And maybe we'll spend our time drinking wine rather than answering
questions here :-)

Seriously though, asking questions here is no substitute for reading a
magazine. Reading this NG generally to improve knowledge might be.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Wine Spectator [email protected] Wine 1 09-11-2008 05:17 PM
Wine Spectator jfacciol Wine 19 17-09-2007 03:13 AM
Online Subscription Choice - Wine Spectator or Wine Advocate Dee Dee Wine 5 06-07-2007 09:44 PM
Wine Spectator On Zinfandels Ed Rasimus Wine 0 23-12-2004 04:32 PM
Wine Spectator Article on TCA Bill Wine 7 21-02-2004 10:26 PM