Mat

Default Record price for a bottle of wine?

Hello,

Does anyone have a definitive figure on the most ever paid for a bottle
of wine?

http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/19/cx_np_1119feat.html

I found this article, but it was from 2003, and I'm sure there has been
something else more recently that was more expensive.

Thanks a lot,

Mat.

Cwdjrx _

You might try the most recent Guinness Book Of World Records, since
Forbes mentions this as their source, and there likely is a new edition
or two of the book since the 03 Forbes article.

Of course the most expensive might have been missed if it was sold
directly by one rich collector to another without publicity.

Actually, contrary to what Forbes might lead you to believe, some very
old wines are very drinkable, but usualy these are not dry table wines.
Michael Broadbent has tasted some Madeiras from the 1700s that still
were drinking well. The best Tokaji Eszencia can easily last a few
hundred years in very good condition. Should a bottle of this from the
cellar of one of the Russian Tsars come on the market, I would guess
that it would sell for an extremely high price.

Reply to .

Keith

I don't know whether any bottle has gone for more than this in the last
couple of years but according to the Jancis Robinson book I just read, the
bottle referred to in that article fetched such a high price because it was
one of those from Thomas Jefferson's collection. The purchaser, Malcolm
Forbes, put the bottle in his Jefferson museum by a model of Jefferson.
Unfortunately the bottle was upright by a spotlight and after a while the
staff noticed that the cork had dried out and fallen into the bottle which
by that stage contained vinegar!

"Mat" <Ask@me> wrote in message ...
> Hello,
>

> Does anyone have a definitive figure on the most ever paid for a bottle of
> wine?
>
> http://www.forbes.com/2003/11/19/cx_np_1119feat.html
>
> I found this article, but it was from 2003, and I'm sure there has been
> something else more recently that was more expensive.
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Mat.

Swooper

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:16:20 +0200, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

(Cwdjrx _) wrote:

>> Michael Broadbent has tasted some Madeiras from the 1700s that
>> still were drinking well.

>You can even buy 1795 Terrantez on the island.
>
>M.

Curiosity only Michaell...ball park spend???

hooroo....

Cwdjrx _

Michael Broadbent describes the Jefferson 1787 Lafite in his Vintage
wine. There was some dispute over the authenticity over some of the few
Jefferson bottles. Broadbent only sold a single bottle at Christie's to
Christopher Forbes , who flew the wine in the Forbes private jet to New
York the evenng of the auction. Broadbent also relates the fate of the
Forbes bottle.

Of the other Jefferson bottles, there was considerable evidence that one
bottle was not authentic. In August 1992 a half bottle from the original
Jefferson collection was opened and analyzed by the experts Dr. Bonani
of Zurich and Prof. Edward Hill of Oxford ( they examined the Turn
shroud). Michael Broadbent pulled the cork in the presence of Dr.
Bonani, the owner and a lawyer. After a long and expensive
investigation, the wine and cork were found to be absolutely correct.

Broadbent's tasting note is: "tawny, no red, a dark brown flaky
sediment; nose restrained and though oxidised opening up quite richly
with residual fruit traces; a touch of sweetness on the palate and
acidic, acidic, finish." He does not give it a stars rating.

However Broadbent has aso tasted 1787 Chateau Margaux and Chateau
Branne-Mouton( now called Mouton-Rothschild). Both of these were still
very good and he rated them 4 out of 5 star. There can be little
question about the Branne-Mouton, since Broadbent tasted it at Ch.
Mouton-Rothschild in 1986 along with Jancis Robinson, some German
collectors, and two of the Mouton staff. It is quite rare for red table
wines of this age to be very good, but these two mentioned wines prove
that it can happen. As another example, Broadbent gave his top five star
rating to a 1791 Chateau Margaux that he tasted in 1987. In one of his
older books, Broadbent describes tasting the 1771 Chateau Margaux in
1987. It of course was somewhat faded, but still quite drinkable, and he
gave it a 2 out of 5 star rating.

Reply to .

Michael Pronay

Swooper > wrote:

>> You can even buy 1795 Terrantez on the island.

> Curiosity only Michaell...ball park spend???
>
> hooroo....

Could somebody translate this into an understandable version of
English, please? (Sorry, it's not my mother tongue.)

M.
st.helier

Swooper wrote:

>> Curiosity only Michael...ball park spend???

To which "Michael Pronay" asked......
> Could somebody translate this into an understandable version
> of English, please? (Sorry, it's not my mother tongue.)

Please excuse our Australian friends Michael - in fact, to most Australians,
English is a second language!!! ;-))

What Swooper was asking translated into "Approximately, [ball park] what
would one have to [spend] to purchase a bottle of 1795 Terrantez?"

--

st.helier

Michael Pronay

"st.helier" > wrote:

> "Approximately, [ball park] what would one have to [spend] to
> purchase a bottle of 1795 Terrantez?"

Sorry, no idea, the price lists (Barbeito, iirc) says "upon
request" to anything older than 1850, the pricing of these latter
wines already being north of EUR500.

M.
Swooper

On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:00:39 +0200, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>"st.helier" > wrote:
>
>> "Approximately, [ball park] what would one have to [spend] to
>> purchase a bottle of 1795 Terrantez?"

>Sorry, no idea, the price lists (Barbeito, iirc) says "upon
>request" to anything older than 1850, the pricing of these latter
>wines already being north of EUR500.
>
>M.

Thank you for the response Michael, and the translation Lord St
H...:>)

hooroo...

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on Fri, 27 May 2005 11:26:38 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>Swooper > wrote:
>
>>> You can even buy 1795 Terrantez on the island.

>> Curiosity only Michaell...ball park spend???
>>
>> hooroo....

>Could somebody translate this into an understandable version of
>English, please? (Sorry, it's not my mother tongue.)

"Approximate cost please". (hooroo is beyond my limited powers
ofcomprehension, no doubt some tribal war cry).

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Cwdjrx _

I have found some 1700s vintage Madeira for Swooper. Go to
http://www.frw.co.uk/ and select 1795 in the left drop down selection
box at the top of the page. You will find Barbeito Terrantez 1795 for
1115 Pounds. Fine and Rare Wines Ltd. is a UK company that acts as a
broker and needs 6 to 8 weeks delivery time. They may buy their Madeira
directly from the island of Madeira or some other source - that is not
stated.

One could pay much more for a much more recent cult wine. For example,
Romanee-Conti 1985 now goes for what the market will bear, which often
is well over US$ 5000 from a few carriage trade wine sources and
auctions.

Reply to .