FoodBanter.com

-   -   1998 Chardonnay (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/59814-1998-chardonnay.html)

Tom S 25-04-2005 01:30 AM

1998 Chardonnay

I found a nice one for only $21US at Whole Foods:
1998 Mount Eden "Cottonwood Canyon Vineyard".

The fruit is Santa Maria appellation, Santa Barbara County. I well remember
the vintage, since I made a couple of barrels of Chardonnay that year. It
was so good that it was virtually gone within the following year! I'm not
saying that to toot my horn; it was simply an excellent vintage for the
region, and I managed to do justice to it.

When I saw the Mount Eden on the shelf, I knew I had to try it. I was not
disappointed. Mount Eden has always done a very good job of producing
Chardonnays of depth and character. The wine is golden in the glass with
fully evolved butterscotch in the nose and a perfect marriage of tropical
fruit and oak on the full, rich palate. I may have to go back and clean out
the bin. :^)

Tom S