FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brunello advice (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/59551-brunello-advice.html)

Thomas Curmudgeon 21-04-2005 12:31 PM

Brunello advice

I'm just wondering what the experts think. Is '99 exceptional? And if
so, any advice on some possibly reasonably priced wines to cellar?

DaleW 21-04-2005 01:15 PM

I've tasted maybe a dozen, and think it is a very good vintage (if not
neccessarily the "best vintage ever"). But hype has driven up prices.
I've cherry-picked a few I thought offered good value:
La Fornace ($20)
La Gerla ($30)
Sesti ($40)
Lisini ($28)
Altesino ($40)
There are BIG (more than usual) price spreads out there across country
(you're in US, right?). When I got the Lisini the next lowest price I
saw was $42. If you are interested in a particular wine, and don't
subscribe to winesearcher pro, I'd be happy to check for you.

Thomas Curmudgeon 21-04-2005 03:27 PM

DaleW wrote:

> I've tasted maybe a dozen, and think it is a very good vintage (if not
> neccessarily the "best vintage ever"). But hype has driven up prices.
> I've cherry-picked a few I thought offered good value:
> La Fornace ($20)
> La Gerla ($30)
> Sesti ($40)
> Lisini ($28)
> Altesino ($40)
> There are BIG (more than usual) price spreads out there across country
> (you're in US, right?). When I got the Lisini the next lowest price I
> saw was $42. If you are interested in a particular wine, and don't
> subscribe to winesearcher pro, I'd be happy to check for you.

I am in the States, in Los Angeles. Below are some examples of some
wines available to me. I really don't want to pay over 40 bucks a bottle
(unless perhaps a couple exceptional wines), but want some to keep for a
while. There's a few other stores that aren't on the web that I've not
visited, so maybe I'm not out of luck. I don't know if the one's your're
buying are tanic enough to cellar for 10+ years, but I like your price
point.

I don't have wine searcher pro. If you don't mind checking what else is
available here in town I'd be appreciative.

wine exchange
MASTROJANNI BRUNELLO 1999 $38.99
SASSETTI PERTIMALI BRUNELLO 1999 $44.99
COLLOSORBO BRUNELLO 1999 $47.99
LE MACIOCHE BRUNELLO 1999 $47.99
UCCELLIERA BRUNELLO 1999 $52.99
CANALICCHIO BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 1999 DI RIPACCIOLI $54.99
CASANUOVA CERBAIE BRUNELLO 1999 $54.99
TORNESI BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 1999 $59.99
VALDICAVA BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 1999 $89.99
SALVIONI BRUNELLO CERBAIOLA 1999 $99.99

wine house
1999 Canalicchio di Sopra Riserva (WS90) $69.99
1999 Castello Banfi Poggio all'Oro Riserva (WS96 ) $99.99
1999 Frescobaldi Castelgiocondo Riserva (WS97 ) $86.99
1999 Friggiali Riserva $63.99
1999 Ciacci Picolomini Riserva (WS94) $89.99
1999 Fuligni Riserva (WS95) $99.99
1999 Lisini "Ugolaia" $99.99
1999 Poggio Antico Riserva (WS95 ) $72.99
1999 Castello Romitorio Riserva (WS91 ) $75.99
1999 Pertimali Sassetti Riserva (WS91) $95.99
1999 La Poderina Poggio Banale (WS93) $79.99
1999 Tenuta Carolina La Togata Riserva (WS93) $93.99
1999 Tornesi Riserva (WS93) $56.99
1999 Ucceliera Riserva $79.99
1999 Valdicava Riserva "Madonna del Piano"(WS96) $123.99
1999 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $69.99
futures
1999 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Poggio all'Oro Riserva $99.99
1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $86.99
1999 Friggiali Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $63.99
1999 Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $89.99
1999 Fuligni Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $99.99
1999 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $99.99
1999 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $89.99
1999 Castello Romitorio Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $75.99
1999 Pertimali (Livio Sassetti) Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $95.99
1999 La Poderina Brunello di Montalcino $59.99
1999 Tenuta Carolina Brunello di Montalcino Riserva La Togata $93.99
1999 Tornesi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $56.99
1999 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino Riserva $79.99
1999 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino Madonna del Piano $123.99

DaleW 21-04-2005 04:42 PM

The Ucceleria is supposed to be very nice, but $53 is pushing it (it's
$40 at Premier Cru if you don't mind shipping). The Pertimali is
supposed to be nice, too.

gerald 22-04-2005 02:27 PM

1. Spring for the $20 or so, and get wine-searcher pro.
2. The expert attitude on a given Brunello vintage changes radically
from year to year, and does not settle down until about 10 years out.
3. I find variation from one producer to another in a given vintage
to be very great, as opposed to many other Italian wines(Barolo,
Amarone) that seem to be similar in a give vintage.
4. Due to the considerable style variation of Burnello, there is
great variation within a single vintage.
5. Tuscany vintage charts are not particularly applicable to
Montalcino(97 was not thought to be too good. and 98 is considered by
many to be better). I have had some 92-96's chosen by the owners of
restaurants in Montalcino that were very nice, and those are not great
years in Tuscany.
6. When the experts took back their VOC(vintage of century) rating of
97, and bestowed it on 98, the bottom dropped out of the prices of
the97's, many of which are wonderful.
7. The expert for these wines is probably Gamberio Rosso.

DaleW 22-04-2005 08:15 PM

Just checked a few. Wine Club (santa Ana- Orange County, right?) shows
Nardi at $39-supposed to be good. And Sesta (not Sesti) at $30- know
nothing of this one.

DaleW 23-04-2005 01:56 PM

Gerald, I agree with most of what you said. Just curious about last
point- who has Gambero Rosso ranked highly- haven't seen listing in
recent vintages. I did attend a Tre Biccheri (sp?) tasting a couple
years ago. GR's taste at time seemed to run heavily towards ultra-ripe
modern Brunelli. I know they've moved to include some more traditional
producers in the Piedmont- have they done the same in BdM? Disclaimer-
I can like both styles- see reference to Altesino and Sesti above.

gerald 24-04-2005 05:43 PM

http://www.vinoinrete.it/sommelier/_...chieri2004.htm

http://www.tigulliovino.it/slowfood/tre_bicchieri.htm
http://www.camphora.at/Gambero%20Rosso%202005.htm