Ian Hayward

Default Crozes-Hermitage find (UK)

There's good Crozes, and there's cheap Crozes, but there's no good, cheap
Crozes. Or so I've always believed. Not having had one at all for some
time, I was inspired by Mark Lipton's suggestion in response to The St.
Henri thread above to "impulse-buy" when shopping in the only UK supermarket
with a good range of Spatlese Riesling. The result is Les Perdrigolles
2002. Bitter and astringent on opening, it opens out to become more
fruit-driven, with a hint of tar and liquorice, and a respectable finish.

At this point I did a Google search, as I had no previous knowledge of this
wine, and turned up Emery Davis' AFW notes on the 2001, and, yes, a degree
of thinness is my only real criticism, too.

And the best bit? It's £4.99 in Morrisons! Not the best Crozes I've ever
had, but definitely the best fiver's worth.

Ian

joseph b. rosenberg

Inquiring minds want to know---Does an older Crozes have Crozes feet?

--
Joseph B. Rosenberg
"Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> There's good Crozes, and there's cheap Crozes, but there's no good, cheap
> Crozes. Or so I've always believed. Not having had one at all for some
> time, I was inspired by Mark Lipton's suggestion in response to The St.
> Henri thread above to "impulse-buy" when shopping in the only UK

supermarket
> with a good range of Spatlese Riesling. The result is Les Perdrigolles
> 2002. Bitter and astringent on opening, it opens out to become more
> fruit-driven, with a hint of tar and liquorice, and a respectable finish.
>
> At this point I did a Google search, as I had no previous knowledge of

this
> wine, and turned up Emery Davis' AFW notes on the 2001, and, yes, a degree
> of thinness is my only real criticism, too.
>
> And the best bit? It's £4.99 in Morrisons! Not the best Crozes I've ever
> had, but definitely the best fiver's worth.
>
> Ian

Ian Hayward

They don't need feet; they fly everywhere. In straight lines, of course.

"joseph b. rosenberg" > wrote in message
> Inquiring minds want to know---Does an older Crozes have Crozes feet?
>
> --
> Joseph B. Rosenberg
> "Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> > There's good Crozes, and there's cheap Crozes, but there's no good,

cheap
> > Crozes. Or so I've always believed. Not having had one at all for some
> > time, I was inspired by Mark Lipton's suggestion in response to The St.
> > Henri thread above to "impulse-buy" when shopping in the only UK

> supermarket
> > with a good range of Spatlese Riesling. The result is Les Perdrigolles
> > 2002. Bitter and astringent on opening, it opens out to become more
> > fruit-driven, with a hint of tar and liquorice, and a respectable

finish.

> > At this point I did a Google search, as I had no previous knowledge of

> this
> > wine, and turned up Emery Davis' AFW notes on the 2001, and, yes, a

degree
> > of thinness is my only real criticism, too.
> >
> > And the best bit? It's £4.99 in Morrisons! Not the best Crozes I've

ever
> > had, but definitely the best fiver's worth.
> >
> > Ian

Mark Lipton

Ian Hayward wrote:
> There's good Crozes, and there's cheap Crozes, but there's no good, cheap
> Crozes. Or so I've always believed. Not having had one at all for some
> time, I was inspired by Mark Lipton's suggestion in response to The St.
> Henri thread above to "impulse-buy" when shopping in the only UK supermarket
> with a good range of Spatlese Riesling. The result is Les Perdrigolles
> 2002. Bitter and astringent on opening, it opens out to become more
> fruit-driven, with a hint of tar and liquorice, and a respectable finish.
>
> At this point I did a Google search, as I had no previous knowledge of this
> wine, and turned up Emery Davis' AFW notes on the 2001, and, yes, a degree
> of thinness is my only real criticism, too.
>
> And the best bit? It's £4.99 in Morrisons! Not the best Crozes I've ever
> had, but definitely the best fiver's worth.

Well, if Emery wrote about it... ;-) The one thing that I probably
should ahve mentioned about Crozes-Hermitage is that the appelation
encompasses two distinct regions: the hillside plots bordering the Rhone
river (good) and the plots on the plateau beyond (not so good). For
every good bottle of Crozes there are probably 3 that rely on name
association with Hermitage to sell their diluted dreck.

Mark Lipton
ajd

Well - I tried the Albert Bell Les Pierelles 1999 Crozes Hermitage...

Does it compare to the St. Henri... well, no - the wine in itself is a
marvellous complement to some Havarti and Gruyere that I had to make my way
through. It's fruit was steely and perhaps a little too floral - the lack
of sweetness ensured a certain dip in the palate that left the wine a little
unbalanced. I would say that, whilst a glass of it is marvellous, it is a
wine that on repeated visits to the decanter, I became less impressed with.

On the flipside, a retailer recommended a Possums McClaren Vale Shiraz as a
match to the St. Henri

Darn... I should have read the label

This was 18 months in American Oak. I might as well have dropped half a
kilo of melted Green's dark chocolate in there. It was like a competition
between the fruit and the oak with neither winning and a simply very
pedestrian wine. As with most big Aussies reds - it was all ego. I can
only liken it to two sections of an orchestra competing to be the one that
is heard and the result being cacophony. A good wine ought to have balance
where one character draws attention to the other character rather than to
itself. Anyway... this is wine ******y...

The point is - like the Chapoutier Pavillon 2000 that I had 12 months ago
and the St. Henri 2000 - no-one has been able to point me in the direction
of a similar wine. C'mon - anyone! Try your luck...

Aaron

"Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> There's good Crozes, and there's cheap Crozes, but there's no good, cheap
> Crozes. Or so I've always believed. Not having had one at all for some
> time, I was inspired by Mark Lipton's suggestion in response to The St.
> Henri thread above to "impulse-buy" when shopping in the only UK
> supermarket
> with a good range of Spatlese Riesling. The result is Les Perdrigolles
> 2002. Bitter and astringent on opening, it opens out to become more
> fruit-driven, with a hint of tar and liquorice, and a respectable finish.
>
> At this point I did a Google search, as I had no previous knowledge of
> this
> wine, and turned up Emery Davis' AFW notes on the 2001, and, yes, a degree
> of thinness is my only real criticism, too.
>
> And the best bit? It's £4.99 in Morrisons! Not the best Crozes I've ever
> had, but definitely the best fiver's worth.
>
> Ian

Emery Davis

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:21:48 -0700, Mark Lipton > said:

] Ian Hayward wrote:
[]
] > And the best bit? It's =A34.99 in Morrisons! Not the best Crozes I've=
ever
] > had, but definitely the best fiver's worth.
]=20

Say, if I had known the price, I would have liked it more!

The fact that the 02 stood up to the 01 is a nod to the oenoloues at
Cave de Tain. Consistancy was not an easy thing to achieve between
those 2 vintages, most didn't try.

Still, as we were discussing coops in another thread, I'll mention that
this one is not my favorite. Quality is consistant, but I rarely taste=20
anything from them that makes me raise my eyebrows. (Much less
pound my shoe on the table!)

] Well, if Emery wrote about it... ;-) The one thing that I probably=20
] should ahve mentioned about Crozes-Hermitage is that the appelation=20
] encompasses two distinct regions: the hillside plots bordering the Rhone=
=20
] river (good) and the plots on the plateau beyond (not so good). For=20
] every good bottle of Crozes there are probably 3 that rely on name=20
] association with Hermitage to sell their diluted dreck.
]=20

Funny, Crozes is one of the appellations that has really benefitted from
the Rhone craze. The prices have inflated, uh, pneumatically. Yet what
Mark says is absolutely right (and always has been): there's a huge=20
majority of it that is dross. Now mostly expensive dross, at that.
(With the qualifier that I consider over 10 eu expensive for a Crozes. Not
like hermitage where one there are parcels that have to be treated by
helicopter!)

-E
--=20
Emery Davis