MikeD

Default Everyday "house wine"

I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
or case.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

--

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information
balleyhoo

"MikeD" > wrote in message
. ..

> I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
> wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
> with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
> or case.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
>I think the Pocketbook decides in this case. Some of my friends use a
>$35.00 bottle, and some of my friends use a $6.99 bottle. I have gone as
>low as $3.99 and enjoyed it.

Monte Antico
Copertino
Salice Salentino

inter alia

MikeD wrote:
> I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their

"house
> wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day,

drink
> with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the

half-case
> or case.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> --

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

Hunt

In article >, mike@webwinerack.
com says...

>I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
>wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
>with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
>or case.
>
>Anyone have any recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike
>
>--

Mike,

There was a recent thread on this subject. For more info than you have gotten
so far, you might want to look at "house wine," for this group in Google.
Groups. The thread was about three months back, IIRC.

For me, Caymus Conundrum for white, Costco ~US$20.

Red, Glen Carlou, Grand Classique, SA, Parrl, Costco ~US$13, Bdx blend.

Italian red, Gabbiano Chianti Reserva, ~US$ 18.

Port, Taylors 10year Tawny, ~US$ 25.

OTOH, I also open quite a few different wines nightly, depending on what wine
-club shipments have arrived. These, however, are my everyday wines and are
usually to be found around the house on any given evening. I do choose from
about 3,000 btls for anything that I really want to pair, however.

Tonight, I'm trying "kobe" burgers with a Selby Syrah, and a Duckhorn Merlot.

Hunt

Timothy Hartley

I do find it easier to buy drinkable reds as a house wine than drinkable
whites. Our long standing red is a Morgon bought at the vineyard for about
£3.60. Amongst the whites we drink regularly are a (Sauvignon de) St. Bris
and a Côtes d‘Auxerre Chardonnay bought, again at the vineyard, for about
the same price. The truth is that ther is a lot of decent wine in France
for about that money if you can be bothered (or have the time for the fun)
to look for it.

I would guess all those would sell in the UK for between £6.80 and £8.00,
depedning on the greed of the importer!

My brother‘s pub in Devon has been using a Marsanne from the Cave de Tain
which retails here at £4.95+ and, recently, a Languedoc red at about the
same price.

Tim Hartley

Emery Davis

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:49:55 +0100, Timothy Hartley .=
uk> said:

] I do find it easier to buy drinkable reds as a house wine than drinkable
] whites. Our long standing red is a Morgon bought at the vineyard for about
] =A33.60. Amongst the whites we drink regularly are a (Sauvignon de) St.=
Bris
] and a C=F4tes d_Auxerre Chardonnay bought, again at the vineyard, for abo=
ut
] the same price. The truth is that ther is a lot of decent wine in France=
=20
] for about that money if you can be bothered (or have the time for the fun)
] to look for it.
]=20

Care to share more details, Tim?

We used to get a pretty good, and _very_ cheap Sauvignon St Bris from
Sorin de France. Interested in the name on the Morgon, too.

Our current house table wines are usually coop cheapies from the southern
Rhone, Rasteau, Beames de Venise, Vacqueyras. These coops do reliable
work for around 5 Eu. There are a few Loire thrown in there too, but
really mostly Rhone. For white we often use a coop Schlossberg Riesling.

[]

-E

--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

Timothy Hartley

In message >
Emery Davis > wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:49:55 +0100, Timothy Hartley > said:
>
> ] I do find it easier to buy drinkable reds as a house wine than drinkable
> ] whites. Our long standing red is a Morgon bought at the vineyard for about
> ] £3.60. Amongst the whites we drink regularly are a (Sauvignon de) St. Bris
> ] and a Côtes d_Auxerre Chardonnay bought, again at the vineyard, for about
> ] the same price. The truth is that ther is a lot of decent wine in France
> ] for about that money if you can be bothered (or have the time for the fun)
> ] to look for it.
> ]
>
> Care to share more details, Tim?

The St.Bris (and the Côtes d_Auxerre Chardonnay) is from Defrance although
those who like a greener more upfront style might like to try Goisot.

The Mogon we usually buy is from Roland Petit at Domaine de Montplain though
we have also had other good Beaujolais from both of the Caves Cooperatives
at Fleurie and Chiroubles and also from M. Pein at the Domaine de Rochebonne
at Theizé in Southern Beuajolais. Whilst the latter is obviously not Cru
Beujolias it provides very decent drinking at a very fair price - about
£2.80 a bottle when I last bought some. In fact I shall hunt out a bottle
for supper, this having whetted my appetite or thirst.

Whilst on the subject several of the Maconnais cooperatives also provide
good everyday drinking at a fair price — Lugny and Vinzelles spring to mind
as does the Cave at Buxy for Montagny and cheap red Pinots.

Cheers,

Tim Hartley

Won't surprise anyone here that our "house wines" are Austrian.

These days our easy open white is: the Hogl Terrassen Spitzergraben
Riesling Federspiel 2003 (Wine & Spirits magazine just highlighted this
one as a "good value" at $11.99 US)

Our easy open red is: Gsellmann & Gsellmann Blauburgunder Pinot Noir
2001.

But then it always depends upon what we're eating!

Emily

DaleW

I don't really have a "house wine." As wine is one of my hobbies, I
love to try new things, and to try match food & wine.
It's very rare I buy anything in case quantities except for wines that
I expect to have a long cellar life, where I'll drink the case over
10-25 years.

That being said, there are a few favorite cheapies that are pretty much
always available in cellar. Ones that Betsy knows are fine for cooking,
that we like to drink, and that are great for big parties:
Red:
Iche "Les Heretiques"
Borsao
Cline CA Zin
Three Thieves Zin

White:
Pepiere Muscadet
Castelvero Cortese
Brocard "Kimmeridgien"
Drouhin Macon
Brun Beaujolais Blanc

Hunt

In article >, mike@webwinerack.
com says...

>I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
>wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
>with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
>or case.
>
>Anyone have any recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike
>
>--

>http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

Well MikeD, did you get some worthwhile wines in this thread. As I suggested,
also see the previous thread for several lists from other posters. I'll be
checking the Web site, to see if any of these made it into the tasting
rotation. One thing to consider here, is that this is an international NG, so
recommendations for wines, whether to pair with food, or of a type to hit a
price-point, will often yield suggestions that are just not available to the
OP, because of location and distribution. That's one of the great things about
wine, it is available everywhere, just not all of it available everywhere.

This is one good reason for people to post their location, when asking for
recommendations. Now, I know that you were just interested in what everyone
was drinking as a "every day" wine, but did you see the spread in people's
choices - try and find some of those (probably great wines, especially for the
$) in Omaha, NE/US, especially at the Piggly-Wiggley. <G>

Hunt

Andre

MikeD escreveu:

> I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
> wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
> with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
> or case.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I think most Rioja Crianza (red) of good producers are fine as an every
day wine.
Recently I tasted a Vin de Pays d'Oc very interesting (Altera, from
Schroder & Schyler), only US$ 16.00 (well, in Brazil we have VERY HIGH
import taxes on beverages, so maybe it costs only US$ 10.00 elsewhere(.
Another very "drinkable" wine is Alamos Cabernet Sauv from Catena,
Argentina. Only U$ 13.50 (or about US$ 8.00).
Andre

MikeD escreveu:

> I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
> wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
> with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
> or case.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I think most Rioja Crianza (red) of good producers are fine as an every
day wine.
Recently I tasted a Vin de Pays d'Oc very interesting (Altera, from
Schroder & Schyler), only US$ 16.00 (well, in Brazil we have VERY HIGH
import taxes on beverages, so maybe it costs only US$ 10.00 elsewhere(.
Another very "drinkable" wine is Alamos Cabernet Sauv from Catena,
Argentina. Only U$ 13.50 (or about US$ 8.00).
MikeD

Hunt:

I knew I'd get an international flavored response. My question wasn't
geared so much towards running out and trying to find those wines as it
was to get a feel for what people in the NG prefer.

I see a lot of responses listing French wines, so I guess I better get
to work trying a few. I've had a few non-varietal French reds (Cotes du
Rhone, Beaujolais) but I'm pretty far behind the rest of you, so I
better get moving. I just hope my liver holds out! <grin>

Hunt wrote:
> In article >, mike@webwinerack.
> com says...
>

>>I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
>>wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
>>with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
>>or case.
>>
>>Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike
>>
>>--

>>http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

> Well MikeD, did you get some worthwhile wines in this thread. As I suggested,
> also see the previous thread for several lists from other posters. I'll be
> checking the Web site, to see if any of these made it into the tasting
> rotation. One thing to consider here, is that this is an international NG, so
> recommendations for wines, whether to pair with food, or of a type to hit a
> price-point, will often yield suggestions that are just not available to the
> OP, because of location and distribution. That's one of the great things about
> wine, it is available everywhere, just not all of it available everywhere.
>
> This is one good reason for people to post their location, when asking for
> recommendations. Now, I know that you were just interested in what everyone
> was drinking as a "every day" wine, but did you see the spread in people's
> choices - try and find some of those (probably great wines, especially for the
> $) in Omaha, NE/US, especially at the Piggly-Wiggley. <G>
>
> Hunt

MikeD

Hunt wrote:
> In article >, mike@webwinerack.
> com says...
>

>>I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
>>wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
>>with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
>>or case.
>>
>>Anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Mike
>>
>>--

>>http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

> Well MikeD, did you get some worthwhile wines in this thread. As I suggested,
> also see the previous thread for several lists from other posters. I'll be
> checking the Web site, to see if any of these made it into the tasting
> rotation. One thing to consider here, is that this is an international NG, so
> recommendations for wines, whether to pair with food, or of a type to hit a
> price-point, will often yield suggestions that are just not available to the
> OP, because of location and distribution. That's one of the great things about
> wine, it is available everywhere, just not all of it available everywhere.
>
> This is one good reason for people to post their location, when asking for
> recommendations. Now, I know that you were just interested in what everyone
> was drinking as a "every day" wine, but did you see the spread in people's
> choices - try and find some of those (probably great wines, especially for the
> $) in Omaha, NE/US, especially at the Piggly-Wiggley. <G>
>
> Hunt

cutecat

"MikeD" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hunt:
>
> I knew I'd get an international flavored response. My question wasn't
> geared so much towards running out and trying to find those wines as it
> was to get a feel for what people in the NG prefer.
>
> I see a lot of responses listing French wines, so I guess I better get to
> work trying a few.

>> This is one good reason for people to post their location, when asking
>> for recommendations. Now, I know that you were just interested in what
>> everyone was drinking as a "every day" wine, but did you see the spread
>> in people's choices - try and find some of those (probably great wines,
>> especially for the $) in Omaha, NE/US, especially at the Piggly-Wiggley.
>> <G>
>>
>> Hunt

Good point about the location often semi-dictating the selection. I live in
Seattle, where I can fairly easily barrel taste the Walla Walla and Yakima
Valley wines two/three times a year, a definite advantage when buying less
expensive stuff by the case. Right now I use Hogue Fume Blanc 2004, a
DiStefano rose got on case sale (shared with a friend who has a discount),
Animale Syrah 2002 (pre-sale, as my longtime friend lives two doors down
from the winemaker), and a JM Cellars Cab/Merlot blend.

Hunt

In article >,
says...

>Hunt:
>
>I knew I'd get an international flavored response. My question wasn't
>geared so much towards running out and trying to find those wines as it
>was to get a feel for what people in the NG prefer.
>
>I see a lot of responses listing French wines, so I guess I better get
>to work trying a few. I've had a few non-varietal French reds (Cotes du
>Rhone, Beaujolais) but I'm pretty far behind the rest of you, so I
>better get moving. I just hope my liver holds out! <grin>

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

There are some great value FR wines in fairly wide distribution in the US. If
you can score some Morgon Beaujolais, it doesn't get much better (from that
appellation) than those. They, like most designated BJs hold up to a few years
of cellaring. The Loire Valley also sees wide distribution in US and offers
some very interesting wines. Good drinking, and to your liver (health)!

Hunt

Hunt

In article >,
says...

>Hunt:
>
>I knew I'd get an international flavored response. My question wasn't
>geared so much towards running out and trying to find those wines as it
>was to get a feel for what people in the NG prefer.
>
>I see a lot of responses listing French wines, so I guess I better get
>to work trying a few. I've had a few non-varietal French reds (Cotes du
>Rhone, Beaujolais) but I'm pretty far behind the rest of you, so I
>better get moving. I just hope my liver holds out! <grin>

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

There are some great value FR wines in fairly wide distribution in the US. If
you can score some Morgon Beaujolais, it doesn't get much better (from that
appellation) than those. They, like most designated BJs hold up to a few years
of cellaring. The Loire Valley also sees wide distribution in US and offers
some very interesting wines. Good drinking, and to your liver (health)!

Hunt

Robert Ruzitschka

Timothy Hartley wrote in :

> The Mogon we usually buy is from Roland Petit at Domaine de
> Montplain though we have also had other good Beaujolais from
> both of the Caves Cooperatives at Fleurie and Chiroubles and
> also from M. Pein at the Domaine de Rochebonne at Theizé in
> Southern Beuajolais.

I agree with the recommendation of the cave de Fleurie. I had some
Fleuries not too long ago that were very nice (even from the not
very highly estimated 2001 vintage).

> Whilst on the subject several of the Maconnais cooperatives also
> provide good everyday drinking at a fair price — Lugny and
> Vinzelles spring to mind as does the Cave at Buxy for Montagny
> and cheap red Pinots.

From the Cave in Buxy I tried two wines:
The basic Montagny from '02 that was fairly nice - clean and crisp
Chardonnay but buying that here in Austria is not really
attractive, you get a lot of local wines similar in style with
better quality for less money.
The second was a Premier Cru Montagny from '98, tasted in 2004. I
remeber that it was really satisfying, a nice maturing white
Burgundy.
May be I'll by around Buxy this summer - I'm sure I'll try to taste
the stuff from "La Buxynoise".

> Cheers,
>
> Tim Hartley

Regards, Robert

Emery Davis

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:03:43 +0100, Timothy Hartley .=
uk> said:

] In message >
] Emery Davis > wrote:
]=20
] > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:49:55 +0100, Timothy Hartley <tNogSPAMh@eurobell=
..co.uk> said:
] >=20
] > ] I do find it easier to buy drinkable reds as a house wine than drink=
able
] > ] whites. Our long standing red is a Morgon bought at the vineyard for =
about
] > ] =A33.60. Amongst the whites we drink regularly are a (Sauvignon de)=
St. Bris
] > ] and a C=F4tes d_Auxerre Chardonnay bought, again at the vineyard, for=
about
] > ] the same price. The truth is that ther is a lot of decent wine in Fra=
nce=20
] > ] for about that money if you can be bothered (or have the time for the=
fun)
] > ] to look for it.
] > ]=20
] >=20
] > Care to share more details, Tim?
]=20
] The St.Bris (and the C=F4tes d_Auxerre Chardonnay) is from Defrance altho=
ugh
] those who like a greener more upfront style might like to try Goisot.=20
]=20

The very same! We've been a client of Sorin (de France or Defrance?) for
many years, always been excellent value.

I wrote last year about finding 6 forgotten bottles of '95, they were actua=
lly
pretty good!

] The Mogon we usually buy is from Roland Petit at Domaine de Montplain tho=
ugh
] we have also had other good Beaujolais from both of the Caves Cooperatives
] at Fleurie and Chiroubles and also from M. Pein at the Domaine de Rochebo=
nne
] at Theiz=E9 in Southern Beuajolais. Whilst the latter is obviously not C=
ru
] Beujolias it provides very decent drinking at a very fair price - about
] =A32.80 a bottle when I last bought some. In fact I shall hunt out a bot=
tle
] for supper, this having whetted my appetite or thirst.
]=20

Well done. I'll keep my eyes open, actually may be in the area in the
not too distant future.

One of our favorites is Jacques Trichard, both Morgon and Regnie, as
well as a very decent villages level.

] Whilst on the subject several of the Maconnais cooperatives also provide=
=20
] good everyday drinking at a fair price _ Lugny and Vinzelles spring to mi=
nd
] as does the Cave at Buxy for Montagny and cheap red Pinots.
]=20

Noted, thanks for that.

cheers,

-E
--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
DPM

"MikeD" > wrote in message
. ..

> I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
> wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
> with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
> or case.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Right now:

Red: 2002 Cline "5 Reds".
White: 2004 Kim Crawford SB

Dean

Seaberdeaber

My house white and red are Californian! Geyser Peak sauvignon blanc and
Sebastiani Sonoma County merlot, $12 and $14 respectively. Sometimes
I'll swap on the white and go with the Los Vascos (Chile) current
chardonnay (very light and crispy, non-oaked). It's about $8.

MikeD

Thanks to everyone for your replies and opinions.

I'm still searching for the reds and whites to stock as "house wines",
and I'm definitely going to seek out some of the bottles you've
recommended. This does, however, lead me to another dilemma: a better
tasting methodology.

Up to this point I've purchased several random bottles of wines that
interested me, uncorking another as soon as I could finish the first
bottle (or pour it down the drain if it wasn't worth finishing).

I realize the proper method of tasting is to compare three or more
bottles at the same time, and up to this point I was just getting my
feet wet. I'm now going to begin tasting two bottles of like wines
(varietal, appellation, or winery) at a time (I can't justify opening
three bottles at a time as I can't finish that much wine in a week or
so, and I have no one to share it with--being the only wine drinker in
the house.)

Does anyone have any additional advice or experience in holding personal
tastings of this nature? Is there a better way to handle this for
someone who is trying to taste a broad range of wines?

-Mike

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information
Hunt

In article >, mike@webwinerack.
com says...

>Thanks to everyone for your replies and opinions.
>
>I'm still searching for the reds and whites to stock as "house wines",
>and I'm definitely going to seek out some of the bottles you've
>recommended. This does, however, lead me to another dilemma: a better
>tasting methodology.
>
>Up to this point I've purchased several random bottles of wines that
>interested me, uncorking another as soon as I could finish the first
>bottle (or pour it down the drain if it wasn't worth finishing).
>
>I realize the proper method of tasting is to compare three or more
>bottles at the same time, and up to this point I was just getting my
>feet wet. I'm now going to begin tasting two bottles of like wines
>(varietal, appellation, or winery) at a time (I can't justify opening
>three bottles at a time as I can't finish that much wine in a week or
>so, and I have no one to share it with--being the only wine drinker in
>the house.)
>
>Does anyone have any additional advice or experience in holding personal
>tastings of this nature? Is there a better way to handle this for
>someone who is trying to taste a broad range of wines?
>
>-Mike

>http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

First thing that you need to do is connect with like-minded folk near-by. This
could be at a restaurant, wine shop, whatever is allowed in your area of
retailers, or it could be a group of friends, who are interested in wine.

Next, convert someone else in your immediate family to wine! <G>

Seminars in your area, or trade-tastings are a good bet. I'll use the Wine
Spectator Grand Tastings as an example. For a fee, you can attend the
seminars, and the tastings, which are, in fact, "grand" tastings. Don't recall
where you are located, but they now do several, NYC, Chicago, Las Vegas, and
maybe another. The "trade-tastings" are something that you will need to work
to get admission, but talk sweetly to your retailer, as he/she might have
extra tickets. Check out the ZAP Website, to see if they hold any of their
events near you, or near where you frequently travel. Most are in CA, but I
just got notice that they have added New Orleans, and I used to attend the
show in Denver, and for the few years that it came to Phoenix. Lots of wine
and, other than crowded, great. Zinfandels abound.

Lastly, you might want to pick up Andrea Immers book, "Great Wine Made
Simple," which is basically a host of wine-tasting exercises. Kevin Zarhley's
"Windows on the World Wine Course" (?) is another good one - I don't have my
copy handy, so do check out the title. I hate that my memory is going so
quickly. These two books are like class texts for wine tasting, and will give
you all sorts of pairing/contrasting ideas. With the quantity of wines opened,
you will want to recruit some gullible buddies to help you out, or just do
them two at a time.

Most of all, have fun,
Hunt

Tom S

"MikeD" > wrote in message
. ..
> I realize the proper method of tasting is to compare three or more bottles
> at the same time, and up to this point I was just getting my feet wet.
> I'm now going to begin tasting two bottles of like wines (varietal,
> appellation, or winery) at a time (I can't justify opening three bottles
> at a time as I can't finish that much wine in a week or so, and I have no
> one to share it with--being the only wine drinker in the house.)
>
> Does anyone have any additional advice or experience in holding personal
> tastings of this nature? Is there a better way to handle this for someone
> who is trying to taste a broad range of wines?

Yes. You can taste several wines at once and keep the unconsumed portions
for another time if you do this:

Get yourself some small, glass screwcapped bottles and a funnel to fit them.
Sounds like you're not much of a drinker, so look for some airline size 187
ml bottles. You'll want a dozen or so to begin with - possibly more.

When you open a fresh bottle of wine, immediately fill 3 of those little
bottles from it. Try to pour the wine into the small bottles without
agitating/aerating it. Fill the 3 bottles right to the brim and cap them
tightly. The contents of those 3 bottles will remain intact as the original
bottle was for months - perhaps longer. Be sure to label the bottles or
you'll forget what's in them.

After filling 3 of those small bottles, you'll still have wine in the bottle
you just opened. That's what you'll be tasting tonight. Repeat the above
process with another bottle of wine or two. Then you'll have 2 or 3 (or
more) wines to taste side-by-side tonight, and you will be able to either
reproduce that tasting another night or select an entirely different lineup
of wines from other bottles, portioned into aliquots in the same fashion.

Tom S

Chuck Reid

Here in Ontario Canada, I continue to adhere to my resolution to BUY only
Ontario wines. Current "House" selections include;

Cave Spring Cellars 2002 Gamay Reserve
Cave Spring Cellars 2003 Chardonnay Reserve and/or CSC 2003 Riesling Reserve

Interspersed with various and sundry Ontario selections as the occasion
permits or demands, I am one happy camper.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"DPM" > wrote in message news:3I79e.21490$Xm3.20109@trndny01...

> "MikeD" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > I'm curious what the other wine fanatics out there consider their "house
> > wines"--those red and/or white wines that you always keep on day, drink
> > with most meals, and feel is economical enough to stock by the half-case
> > or case.
> >
> > Anyone have any recommendations?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Right now:
>
> Red: 2002 Cline "5 Reds".
> White: 2004 Kim Crawford SB
>
> Dean

Larry

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:23:34 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>Here in Ontario Canada, I continue to adhere to my resolution to BUY only
>Ontario wines. Current "House" selections include;
>
>Cave Spring Cellars 2002 Gamay Reserve
>Cave Spring Cellars 2003 Chardonnay Reserve and/or CSC 2003 Riesling Reserve

Hey Chuck, you still have some of that good red stuff left hey?!

I'm trying to be a good boy and drink ten others before I open on of
my GR. Never know when Cave Springs will have their next GR to offer.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario
M. E. Sievert

Here in Missouri I love to quaff Norton/Cynthiana.

Bethelham Valley 2000 (Augusta AVA) at $18 a bottle is as good as any
Napa Valley Cab. to me.

Other outstanding Norton producers I regularly drink are;
Stone Hill (Herman AVA) $14 at Sam's
Dolce Vitae (Augusta) $16
St. James (Ozark Mountain Region AVA) $16
Heinrichaus (Ozark again) $14
Hermanhoff (Herman) $19

Oh, and when in Missouri, stay away from the labruscan 'pancake syrup'
:-P

Mark E Sievert

Bi!!

> I realize the proper method of tasting is to compare three or more
> bottles at the same time, and up to this point I was just getting my
> feet wet. I'm now going to begin tasting two bottles of like wines
> (varietal, appellation, or winery) at a time (I can't justify opening

> three bottles at a time as I can't finish that much wine in a week or

> so, and I have no one to share it with--being the only wine drinker

in
> the house.)
>
> Does anyone have any additional advice or experience in holding

personal
> tastings of this nature? Is there a better way to handle this for
> someone who is trying to taste a broad range of wines?
>
> -Mike

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

Join or form a tasting group. I joined one ten years ago and we meet
every Monday night. There are usually between 8-10 folks every Monday
and we all bring a bottle of wine to share. There is no set varietal
format or price level but for the most part the wines are usually under
$20.00. We taste them blind and everyone brings a small nosh. The
wines are tasted in a single blind format and there is no scoring or
judging other than a good natured competition to guess which wines are
which. We limit this to red wines but the host is responsible for
supplying the starter(s) which are always white, rose, or sparklers,
and are not tasted blind. Not only do you get to taste a lot of
different wines but you make some good friends in the process.

D. Gerasimatos

I went wine tasting at some of the local wineries in Missouri once. I even
thought the wines might be good when I discovered most winemakers had
been educated at UC Davis. Then I tasted them. YUCK! Most of them were
way too sweet! When I asked about this, they said that sweet is what their
demographic wants. Even the wines that were not sweet were mediocre at
best. I am glad to have had the experience, but I'll not be buying the
fine wines of Missouri any time soon.

Dimitri

M. E. Sievert

Dear D. Gerasimatos,
What year was your visit? I think at last count Missouri has about 40
producers and unfortunately some of the flashiest venues (Summit Lake,
Crown Valley) are some of the producers.

Were you able to try some of the nortons I listed previously? If so, I
would love to hear appraisal.

Best regards,
Mark e Sievert

M. E. Sievert

Woops, that should have read (Summit Lake, Crown Valley) are some of
the worst producers.

D. Gerasimatos

In article .com>,
M. E. Sievert > wrote:

>What year was your visit? I think at last count Missouri has about 40
>producers and unfortunately some of the flashiest venues (Summit Lake,
>Crown Valley) are some of the producers.

My visit was in 2004. I bought wine both at wineries and at wine shops
in Saint Louis where they seemed obligated to carry local wines.

>Were you able to try some of the nortons I listed previously? If so, I
>would love to hear appraisal.

I don't have my notes handy, so I am not sure. I do know that I didn't
like anything I had. A few wines were tolerable. The same has been true
of my experience with wine from Virginia.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article .com>,
M. E. Sievert > wrote:

>Woops, that should have read (Summit Lake, Crown Valley) are some of
>the worst producers.

I found some notes. I went to St. James (which you mentioned) and Meramec.
I also bought wine from some other wineries at the wine shop, but I am not
sure what I had as it was not memorable.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article .com>,
M. E. Sievert > wrote:

>Woops, that should have read (Summit Lake, Crown Valley) are some of
>the worst producers.

I found some notes. I went to St. James (which you mentioned) and Meramec.
I also bought wine from some other wineries at the wine shop, but I am not
sure what I had as it was not memorable.

Dimitri

JEAN LOUIS SMYL

I am a export gent in france and I am so happy to read your mail.
the french did a lot of improvement regarding every aspect of their
production.
I love the beaujolais a lot and i thinks there's a lot of tremendous
languedoc. I also work with very good cotes du rhone at a very reasonable
price.
jls
"Emery Davis" > a écrit dans le message de
. ..
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:03:43 +0100, Timothy Hartley
> said:

] In message >
] Emery Davis > wrote:
]
] > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:49:55 +0100, Timothy Hartley
> said:
] >
] > ] I do find it easier to buy drinkable reds as a house wine than
drinkable
] > ] whites. Our long standing red is a Morgon bought at the vineyard for
about
] > ] £3.60. Amongst the whites we drink regularly are a (Sauvignon de)
St. Bris
] > ] and a Côtes d_Auxerre Chardonnay bought, again at the vineyard, for
about
] > ] the same price. The truth is that ther is a lot of decent wine in
France
] > ] for about that money if you can be bothered (or have the time for the
fun)
] > ] to look for it.
] > ]
] >
[...]

M. E. Sievert

Dimitri,
I am in St. James several time a year. Different from most of the
German pedigreed wineries in Missouri, St. James, both the town and
winery were settled by 19th century Genovese Italians escaping malaria
in Arkansas. I can't make this up :-)
With many local vineyards, some VERY old, St. James Winery makes a
norton that, at least to me, drinks well with pasta and mid-western
BBQ.

Meramec Winery is a rather new venture set up just down the block from
St.J. so as to catch some of it's traffic. The best thing I can say
for it is it adds nothing to the local cultural flavor. I can't even
say if they produce their own wine there :-/

Best regards,

Mark

D. Gerasimatos

In article .com>,
M. E. Sievert > wrote:

>I am in St. James several time a year. Different from most of the
>German pedigreed wineries in Missouri, St. James, both the town and
>winery were settled by 19th century Genovese Italians escaping malaria
>in Arkansas. I can't make this up :-)
>With many local vineyards, some VERY old, St. James Winery makes a
>norton that, at least to me, drinks well with pasta and mid-western
>BBQ.

I have to admit that I did not have this wine with food. Perhaps that's
my mistake. However, you must admit that they have a very extensive lineup
and most of it is bad.

Dimitri

"Everyday Guide to Wine" aesthete8 Wine 1 02-07-2012 08:10 PM
Everyday "house wine" MikeD Wine 4 19-04-2005 03:53 AM
Everyday wines/ everyday foods TB Wine 0 26-05-2004 05:28 PM
Everyday Wines, Everyday food Rich R Wine 4 03-03-2004 04:33 AM
Everyday Wines, Everyday Foods Rich R Wine 5 16-02-2004 05:42 PM