ajd

Default Penfolds St. Henri 2000

Hello there,
I recently made my way through a bottle of the Penfolds St. Henri 2000
Shiraz. A mighty fine wine indeed. Real old-fashioned production with none
of the powerful vanilla and chocolate you might expect with big Aussie
shiraz. Plenty of fruit and floral character on the nose with a touch of
steeliness and some ink too. Forward to mid palate with an incredible
finish - everything in the wine was derived from the fruit. I immediately
went out the next day and bought another. Unfortunately, the gentleman who
ran the wine store from where I bought it couldn't recommend anything else
in the same style. So, I'm rather hoping someone on the group can instead.

The wine was $50 NZD (about $35 USD) - bought in Auckland, NZ.

If you can recommend a similar wine in the same price range (and cheaper
would be even better) - I would be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Aaron

Ian Hayward

>A mighty fine wine indeed.

Yes, isn't it? I don't know of another Aussie that has the same
fruit-driven absence of oak as St. Henri, but I imagine Bordeaux must
produce something similar. My knowledge of French wines does not permit me
to advise, but I'm sure others will respond with suggestions. For a real
treat, see if you can get hold of some 1998 St. Henri.

Regards,

Ian

"ajd" > wrote in message
> Hello there,
> I recently made my way through a bottle of the Penfolds St. Henri 2000
> Shiraz. A mighty fine wine indeed. Real old-fashioned production with

none
> of the powerful vanilla and chocolate you might expect with big Aussie
> shiraz. Plenty of fruit and floral character on the nose with a touch of
> steeliness and some ink too. Forward to mid palate with an incredible
> finish - everything in the wine was derived from the fruit. I immediately
> went out the next day and bought another. Unfortunately, the gentleman

who
> ran the wine store from where I bought it couldn't recommend anything else
> in the same style. So, I'm rather hoping someone on the group can

instead.

> The wine was $50 NZD (about $35 USD) - bought in Auckland, NZ.
>
> If you can recommend a similar wine in the same price range (and cheaper
> would be even better) - I would be really grateful.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron

Ian Hayward

"ajd" > wrote in message
> Hello there,
> I recently made my way through a bottle of the Penfolds St. Henri 2000
> Shiraz. A mighty fine wine indeed. Real old-fashioned production with

none
> of the powerful vanilla and chocolate you might expect with big Aussie
> shiraz. Plenty of fruit and floral character on the nose with a touch of
> steeliness and some ink too. Forward to mid palate with an incredible
> finish - everything in the wine was derived from the fruit. I immediately
> went out the next day and bought another. Unfortunately, the gentleman

who
> ran the wine store from where I bought it couldn't recommend anything else
> in the same style. So, I'm rather hoping someone on the group can

instead.

> The wine was $50 NZD (about $35 USD) - bought in Auckland, NZ.
>
> If you can recommend a similar wine in the same price range (and cheaper
> would be even better) - I would be really grateful.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron

ajd

Indeed - it doesn't have to be Aussie - French is fine also.

I'll see if I can locate some 98.

Many thanks

Aaron

"Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> >A mighty fine wine indeed.

> Yes, isn't it? I don't know of another Aussie that has the same
> fruit-driven absence of oak as St. Henri, but I imagine Bordeaux must
> produce something similar. My knowledge of French wines does not permit
> me
> to advise, but I'm sure others will respond with suggestions. For a real
> treat, see if you can get hold of some 1998 St. Henri.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian
>
> "ajd" > wrote in message
>> Hello there,
>> I recently made my way through a bottle of the Penfolds St. Henri 2000
>> Shiraz. A mighty fine wine indeed. Real old-fashioned production with

> none
>> of the powerful vanilla and chocolate you might expect with big Aussie
>> shiraz. Plenty of fruit and floral character on the nose with a touch of
>> steeliness and some ink too. Forward to mid palate with an incredible
>> finish - everything in the wine was derived from the fruit. I
>> immediately
>> went out the next day and bought another. Unfortunately, the gentleman

> who
>> ran the wine store from where I bought it couldn't recommend anything
>> else
>> in the same style. So, I'm rather hoping someone on the group can

> instead.
>>
>> The wine was $50 NZD (about $35 USD) - bought in Auckland, NZ.
>>
>> If you can recommend a similar wine in the same price range (and cheaper
>> would be even better) - I would be really grateful.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Aaron

ajd

Indeed - it doesn't have to be Aussie - French is fine also.

I'll see if I can locate some 98.

Many thanks

Aaron

"Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> >A mighty fine wine indeed.

> Yes, isn't it? I don't know of another Aussie that has the same
> fruit-driven absence of oak as St. Henri, but I imagine Bordeaux must
> produce something similar. My knowledge of French wines does not permit
> me
> to advise, but I'm sure others will respond with suggestions. For a real
> treat, see if you can get hold of some 1998 St. Henri.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian
>
> "ajd" > wrote in message
>> Hello there,
>> I recently made my way through a bottle of the Penfolds St. Henri 2000
>> Shiraz. A mighty fine wine indeed. Real old-fashioned production with

> none
>> of the powerful vanilla and chocolate you might expect with big Aussie
>> shiraz. Plenty of fruit and floral character on the nose with a touch of
>> steeliness and some ink too. Forward to mid palate with an incredible
>> finish - everything in the wine was derived from the fruit. I
>> immediately
>> went out the next day and bought another. Unfortunately, the gentleman

> who
>> ran the wine store from where I bought it couldn't recommend anything
>> else
>> in the same style. So, I'm rather hoping someone on the group can

> instead.
>>
>> The wine was $50 NZD (about $35 USD) - bought in Auckland, NZ.
>>
>> If you can recommend a similar wine in the same price range (and cheaper
>> would be even better) - I would be really grateful.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Aaron

Mark Lipton

ajd wrote:
> Indeed - it doesn't have to be Aussie - French is fine also.
>
> I'll see if I can locate some 98.

Yes, the '98 is fine stuff. For vaguely similar wines, look to the
northern end of the Rhone valley in France, where lightly oaked Syrah is
the name of the game. Since price is an issue, look for the
lesser-known appelations of Crozes-Hermitage, St. Joseph and Cornas. My
choices for Crozes are Alain Graillot and Albert Belle and in Cornas
Allemand, Clape (pricey), Juge and Verset. The big negociants of
Jaboulet, Chapoutier and Delas Freres also do a decent job and usually
at a reasonable price.

HTH
Mark Lipton

ajd

Found someone selling both the 2001 and 1999 Belle Crozes Hermitage. I'll
let you know.

Many thanks!

Aaron

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> ajd wrote:
>> Indeed - it doesn't have to be Aussie - French is fine also.
>>
>> I'll see if I can locate some 98.

> Yes, the '98 is fine stuff. For vaguely similar wines, look to the
> northern end of the Rhone valley in France, where lightly oaked Syrah is
> the name of the game. Since price is an issue, look for the lesser-known
> appelations of Crozes-Hermitage, St. Joseph and Cornas. My choices for
> Crozes are Alain Graillot and Albert Belle and in Cornas Allemand, Clape
> (pricey), Juge and Verset. The big negociants of Jaboulet, Chapoutier and
> Delas Freres also do a decent job and usually at a reasonable price.
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton

R.I.P. Henri Bonneau, 77, French winemaker [email protected] General Cooking 1 29-03-2016 11:14 PM
older Chinon, 86 Henri Lambert Emery Davis[_3_] Wine 6 15-07-2011 12:38 PM
82 Cos, 2000 Bin 389, 2000 Gloria, 99 Stellenzicht, 85 Grahams Bill S. Wine 1 21-03-2010 07:06 PM
Penfolds Bin 389 2004 DavidW Wine 4 24-12-2009 02:57 AM
Penfolds Bin 707 Bill S. Wine 0 01-09-2007 07:12 PM