Yorkshiresoul

Default How long to keep Rioja

Hi there, I have just taken deliver of some Vina Izadi Rioja Reserva '01
that I bought 'en primeur' just after they declared the harvest.

How long should this wine be kept until it reaches its peak ? I have a
proper cellar and a fair amount of patience, not so patient that I'm not
going to try at least one bottle right away though.

Thanks for any help, Mike J

--
www.yorkshiresoul.org

Robert Ruzitschka

Yorkshiresoul wrote in :

[Vina Izadi Reserva 01]
> How long should this wine be kept until it reaches its peak ? I
> have a proper cellar and a fair amount of patience, not so
> patient that I'm not going to try at least one bottle right away
> though.

Hello Mike!

Actually I didn't have the Reserva but I have a couple of bottles
of the Izadi 01 Crianza. I tried one a couple of months ago and in
my notes I stated that it is really young and primary and should
improve with a drinking window starting at 2007.
I would think that the Reserva could easily sleep for 3 years more.
The Izadi is a modern style Rioja so I wouldn't keep it for
decades.
Please note that this is my personal view and I am certainly no
expert - neither on Rioja nor on aging.

By the way, I thought the Crianza was excellent (also the 2000
vintage was very nice).

> Thanks for any help, Mike J

Regards, Robert

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 4 07-05-2016 11:51 PM
TN: CA, WA, NZ, and Rioja, mostly cheapies DaleW Wine 2 06-07-2009 03:22 PM
TN: Rioja and Rose DaleW Wine 2 27-09-2008 08:35 PM
Rioja Tam Wine 1 28-02-2005 01:01 AM
Some Rioja's Michael Bartlett Wine 1 11-03-2004 08:59 PM