DaleW

Default TN: Worthy Sophia's Cuvee

Last night Betsy made some herb-rubbed steaks, served over a
parsley/watercress salad with green beans on the side. She was going to
work, so only would have a half-glass of wine. So I opened a 375, the
2002 Worthy Sophia's Cuvee (Napa). This is basically the second wine of
Axios.

Very ripe sweet blueberry and blackberry fruit, modest ripe tannins,
and some toasty oak notes. Clearly New World, and a tad on the fat
side. While this isn't my preferred style of wine, this is clearly
well-made. Good concentration, long finish. After a couple hours, the
oak is quietly integrated, and the blueberry has given way to
blackcurrant and black cherry. A bit less structured and a bit less
appealing than the excellent 2001 (and the price went up a bit- 750s on
the 2001 were $18-20, 750s of the 2002 more like $25). Still, a fine
example of a moderately priced California red. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency