FoodBanter.com

-   -   French Plonk? (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/58596-french-plonk.html)

Streuth Cor Blimey 10-04-2005 02:51 PM

French Plonk?

I have opened a Cabernet Sauvignon and it is truly
the most disappointing tasting wine I have had for
some time.
There was a distinct and unpleasant tannic taste which
I sensed was never there in a number of other types I
have purchased. Worse still the "perfume" on opening had
something which I can only call "petrol-like"
I left it to one side, with the resolve to try it after standing,
and although there was an expected improvement, it was
barely drinkable
The Label says:
Vin de Provence
Domaine Gypiere
2002
Vin Pays Du Var

Second release.

This seems to mean it's a "country wine", or one that has no
"appellation" certification?
What does "Second Release" mean?
Why would an uncertified wine be reserved?

Would you agree that French wine bought in England is overpriced
in the under ten pounds English range?

--
Streuth

D. Gerasimatos 11-04-2005 06:00 AM

I don't know about in England, but in the USA it does seem that there is
an awful lot of French plonk in the low price ranges. I had a really good
white from the Maconaisse today for $11 US, but that is the exception
rather than the rule. Mostly, if the bottle is under $30 US I've learned
not to expect much.

Dimitri

Streuth Cor Blimey 11-04-2005 08:38 AM

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message

> I don't know about in England, but in the USA it does seem that there is
> an awful lot of French plonk in the low price ranges. I had a really good
> white from the Maconaisse today for $11 US, but that is the exception
> rather than the rule. Mostly, if the bottle is under $30 US I've learned
> not to expect much.
>

> Dimitri

Thanks for your input.
It seems that because I have had an infection, I am accused
by some at home of having an unreliable pallete. They agree
the wine was poor but not undrinkable.

--
Streuth

Streuth Cor Blimey 11-04-2005 08:38 AM

Mark Lipton 11-04-2005 06:18 PM

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
> I don't know about in England, but in the USA it does seem that there is
> an awful lot of French plonk in the low price ranges. I had a really good
> white from the Maconaisse today for $11 US, but that is the exception
> rather than the rule. Mostly, if the bottle is under $30 US I've learned
> not to expect much.

Dimitri,
Frankly, I'm surprised by that last statement. Of course, what you
get for your $ depends on where you live, where you shop and what your
tastes are. However, in Berkeley, Kermit Lynch, Vino! and Solano
Cellars all make a point of stocking some excellent French (and other)
wines that retail for well below $30. IME, it's actually far easier to
get a quality wine from Europe for under $20 than it is from the US.
Right now, I'd look for the following "budget" wines from France:

White:
'02 Cote Chalonnaise and Cote Maconnais
'02 Chablis (regular, not 1er or GC)*
'02 Muscadet, Vouvray**, Sancerre** and Pouilly-Fumé**

Red:
'01 Cotes du Rhone
'01 Bandol
'02 Bourgogne from selected producers***
'01 Costieres de Nimes
'01 Coteaux du Langeudoc
'02 Cru Beaujolais

*Kermit Lynch is selling Roland Lavantereux's Chablis for $16.
** There is an ocean of plonk from these Loire AOCs that reaches the US;
good advice from an honest retaier is required here
*** I've had good experiences recently with the Bourgognes of Robert
Chevillon and Anne Gros, but both are not easily found.

HTH
Mark Lipton

[email protected] 11-04-2005 07:25 PM

Vin de Pays wines can be very, very good, depending on who makes them.
Like anything else. There are a lot of terrible AOC wines made, too.
This reminds me of some people who assume that a film will be good
strictly because it's a French film. True, some of the best are French
films, but many porkers are also released there.

Richard Neidich 11-04-2005 07:32 PM

> Dimitri,
> Frankly, I'm surprised by that last statement. Of course, what you get
> for your $ depends on where you live, where you shop and what your tastes
> are. However, in Berkeley, Kermit Lynch, Vino! and Solano Cellars all
> make a point of stocking some excellent French (and other) wines that
> retail for well below $30. IME, it's actually far easier to get a quality
> wine from Europe for under $20 than it is from the US. Right now, I'd look
> for the following "budget" wines from France:

snip

Mark, I don't think that he is wrong.

France has its fair share of plonk ALONG WITH every other country at that
price range.

I wish you could buy first growths for $30 and we would not be having this
issue.

Timothy Hartley 11-04-2005 07:39 PM

In message . com>
wrote:

> Vin de Pays wines can be very, very good, depending on who makes them.
> Like anything else. There are a lot of terrible AOC wines made, too.
> This reminds me of some people who assume that a film will be good
> strictly because it's a French film. True, some of the best are French
> films, but many porkers are also released there.

It also has to be remembered that AOC laws restrict the varietals which may
be planted so that some quite good wine made with "illegal" cépages is
available. This could be an example o such a wine since Cabernet Sauvignon
is not a varietal local to the Var! However — like Mike — and despite
having a wife from that part pf the world and having spent many a happy
summer exploring local wines rather than stay in with the in-laws — lovely
as they are — I have never seen, or heard of, this one.

Timothy Hartley

D. Gerasimatos 11-04-2005 09:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I no longer live in Berkeley. I am familiar with
Kermit Lynch, but not the others. However, my comment stands based on my
experience. If I go to a tasting of cheaper French wines from lesser
appellations like the Loire, Bandol, or Languedoc in the $10-25 range I will
inevitably find one or two that I enjoy. However, that is not a good ratio when
tasting, say, eight wines.

As someone else said, there is a lot of plonk in that price range from
the USA, Italy, and Australia also. However, I am far more likely to
find a wine I like for $15 if it is from California than if it is from
France. It may just be a function of the exchange rate and/or shipping
costs.

Dimitri

DaleW 11-04-2005 09:11 PM

Dick,
Mark certainly never denied there's an ocean of plonk from France. But
I'd agree with him that I find it easier to find French or Italian
wines on the low-end that I like that CA. To me $20 is the magic mark
for California- choices open up there. I'm not denying the QPR of the
Rex Goliath PN and a few others, but few is the operative work. Once
we're in the $20's we start looking at the Ridge single vineyards,
various Syrahs, etc. But under $20 the US market is thin.

For France, this would be my annotations to Mark's under $20 list:
White:
'02 Bourgognes from good producers (I've enjoyed Javiller, Cote
Chalonnaise and Cote Maconnais (the '02 Drouhin Macon is great for $7
if you can find it).
'02 Bourgogne Aligote from good producers (Lafarge, de Villaine)
'02 Chablis (Brocard, Moreau, or just about any good producer's
straight Chablis AC, or for just under $20 the Brocard or Savary 1ers)
Loi
'02 Muscadet (Pepiere, Luneau-Papin)
'02 Sancerre, Pouilly-Fum=E9=AC=A0Menetou-Salon (Thomas-Labaille, Pelle,
etc)
'02 Montlouis (Deletang, Chidaine)
I left off '02 Vouvray as only ones I've had are the excellent Huets,
which are more than $20. I'd add the Clos Roche Blanche Touraine if you
can find '02.

I personally enjoy Trimbach's base Riesling and Gewurz, but some find
them too austere. Lots of other good Alsace producers.

Red:
'01 Cotes du Rhone (d'Andezon is very good for $10, or Coudelet de
Beaucastel if you can find under $20).
'02 Bourgogne (Lafarge, Bachelet, Sylvie Esmonin, Chevillon,
d'Angerville) or wines from outlying villages like Marsannay, Santenay,
or Savigny (try Pavelot, Girardin, Bruno Clair, Bize, Ecard)
'02 Cru Beaujolais (Coudert/Roillete Fleurie rules! Plus Brun/Terres
Dorres, Lapierre)
'01 & '00 Bordeaux from satellites such as Cotes de Castillon, Fronsac,
Lalande de Pomerol- my current fave is the '01 Cap de Faugeres
Another personal favorite is the Les Heretiques from Andre Iche, a VdP
d'Oc at $7-8, or his Minervois at $9-10.
I also like red Loires, and '02s were good and it sounds like many '03s
too. Look for producers like Breton or Olga Raffault.

As noted, there's a lot of plonk out there. Offhand, I can't think of
any region in the world that isn't 50% plonk in the under-$20 range.
But learning producers you like is the key.

jcoulter 11-04-2005 10:01 PM

"DaleW" > wrote in news:1113250293.037568.20280
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Dick,
> Mark certainly never denied there's an ocean of plonk from France. But
> I'd agree with him that I find it easier to find French or Italian
> wines on the low-end that I like that CA. To me $20 is the magic mark
>

> As noted, there's a lot of plonk out there. Offhand, I can't think of
> any region in the world that isn't 50% plonk in the under-$20 range.
> But learning producers you like is the key.

This is the key. If I try to buy cheaper Australian or California wines, I
invariably dislike them (withthe excpetion of Bonny Doon), but I know which
wines and priducers, negociants and importers, I like from France and Italy
and am rarely disappointed. If my New World experience and tastes were up
to the standards of others here, I would probably find my mileage to be
different.

D. Gerasimatos 11-04-2005 11:20 PM

In article . com>,
DaleW > wrote:

>'02 Chablis (Brocard, Moreau, or just about any good producer's
>straight Chablis AC, or for just under $20 the Brocard or Savary 1ers)

I am afraid to strongly disagree with two very knowledgeable posters, but
I find most Chablis to be quite awful, even at the premier cru level.
I have said this here before, but I pretty much only find the wines of
the more famous producers like Raveneau and Dauvissat drinkable.

>Sancerre, Pouilly-Fum=E9=AC=A0Menetou-Salon (Thomas-Labaille, Pelle,
>etc)

Sure, sauvignon blanc is a cheap grape. However, in the US we can also
get some very good sauvignon blancs for < $20. Australia and New Zealand
have also flooded the market with them. It's like saying that you can
find lots of good CA zinfandel cheaply. It's a cheap grape. Of course
you can.

>I personally enjoy Trimbach's base Riesling and Gewurz, but some find
>them too austere. Lots of other good Alsace producers.

I do not like this either (Trimbach).

>'02 Cru Beaujolais (Coudert/Roillete Fleurie rules! Plus Brun/Terres
>Dorres, Lapierre)

Not a big fan of most Beaujolais.

>As noted, there's a lot of plonk out there. Offhand, I can't think of
>any region in the world that isn't 50% plonk in the under-$20 range.
>But learning producers you like is the key.

Of course everyone has their own tastes. In general, I can assume without
tasting that a cheap French wine is plonk. In fact, my girlfriend made
up a whole section in my wine-tasting notebook which she labeled "French
Swill" since so much of it is. That is not to say that American plonk
of the sort like "Mondavi Coastal" is good wine. However, given a choice
between a California wine I've never had before and an unknown French wine
for $15 I'll always choose the American wine before tasting. I have
verified with blind tastings that my palette is just not tuned to like
French plonk. Perhaps it is because even cheap California wine has some
intense fruit in it, whereas lots of cheap French wine tastes overwatered.

High-end French producers like Ramonet score well alongside high-end
California producers like Peter Michael. However, when you start to
get into the lower price ranges I feel that more often than not the
American wine will be the better of its counterpart. A pinot like
Patricia Green for $18 cannot be bettered by its French counterpart
in the same price range, IMO. In fact, I usually don't even bother with
the village wines, because the premier cru wines are so much better for
just a bit more money. To me, the difference between most AOC village wine
(forget vin de pays entirely) and premier cru is staggering.

That is not to say that cheap French wine is all bad. Quite a lot of it
is good. However, I definitely find a lot of CA wine I like in the $15-30
range and not much French wine I like at all in that range. Once you go
over that $30 mark then the field changes significantly, because that's
when you start getting into the premier crus (in Burgundy) and the better
wines in places like the Rhone, Condrieu, Alsace, and even Champagne.
Champagne is a good example, actually, because I think California
sparkling producers completely destroy anything produced in France in the
$10-20 range but at that point and beyond the French wine is the only wine
worth buying.

Dimitri

dick neidich 12-04-2005 03:47 AM

I have had plonk from all counties at all prices.

But here in Charlotte, NC it is hard to find French wines I typically buy
them when traveling out of state or in Chapel Hill , NC. However at A
southern seasons you find no French Plonk but thats due to the fact most is
very good classified wines.

I think since you live in NYC and Mark is now in California you guys are
spoiled.

No doubt there are excellent french wines in the under $20. I like a Rodet
Rully-red or while under $20....but good luck getting them here at that
price or available often.

Rarely do I find wines from California under $30 to my liking. French
around $50 +. Oregon $25+for PN.

Austrailia, Chili and Argentina have the best drinking wines under $20 in my
opinion.

Sorry to disagree.

That said there is no competition for a good Burg or top growth
bordeaux...good or bad year the only difference is when they peak. :-)

"DaleW" > wrote in message
[...]

'02 Sancerre, Pouilly-Fum?Menetou-Salon (Thomas-Labaille, Pelle,

Tom S 12-04-2005 04:14 AM

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> D. Gerasimatos wrote:
>> I don't know about in England, but in the USA it does seem that there is
>> an awful lot of French plonk in the low price ranges. I had a really good
>> white from the Maconaisse today for $11 US, but that is the exception
>> rather than the rule. Mostly, if the bottle is under $30 US I've learned
>> not to expect much.

> Dimitri,
> Frankly, I'm surprised by that last statement. Of course, what you get
> for your $ depends on where you live, where you shop and what your tastes
> are. However, in Berkeley, Kermit Lynch, Vino! and Solano Cellars all
> make a point of stocking some excellent French (and other) wines that
> retail for well below $30.

I agree with Mark on that, except I'd halve that price. There are nice cru
bourgeois 2000 Bordeaux in the ~$15 price range if you know where to shop.
There are even some nice Burgundies for under $25 - but I'll admit that you
need to be well informed to make a good selection.

IME, it's actually far easier to
> get a quality wine from Europe for under $20 than it is from the US.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say _that_! I'd say that quality wise in
that price range the value is close to equal between France and California.
Of course Mark's view is from an East Coast perspective, so that may account
for the difference in perception.

Tom S

Tom S 12-04-2005 04:14 AM

Mark Lipton 12-04-2005 07:46 PM

Tom S wrote:

> IME, it's actually far easier to
>
>>get a quality wine from Europe for under $20 than it is from the US.

> Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say _that_! I'd say that quality wise in
> that price range the value is close to equal between France and California.
> Of course Mark's view is from an East Coast perspective, so that may account
> for the difference in perception.

East Coast perspective???? Howzat, Tom? Aside from my 5 years in grad
school in NYC, I've spent no time at all on the East Coast. Perhaps you
mean Midwest perspective? Though I'd still probably dispute that since
the 15 years I've lived in Indiana pale before the 26 years I've lived
in CA. No, I am Californicated through and through, but that doesn't
stop me from calling a spade a spade -- and in this case I cannot help
but lament the lack of quality in CA wine retailing for under $20.
Where are the CalCabs that compete directly with B'dx from the Satellite
appellations? Where are the light reds from CA that compete with
Beaujolais? Where are the Chardonnays that compete price-wise with
Chablis, the Cote Chalonnaise and Cote Maconnais? Where are the Pinots
that compete with the Cote Chalonnaise? Where are the Zins that compete
with wines from the Languedoc and the Cotes du Rhone?

Sure, there are some great values to be found in CA, but they are the
exception rather than the rule. Whereas in the regions I cite above you
have dozens or even more quality producers making wines of character
that retail for under $20 (including shipping costs), when I stroll
among the "fighting varietals" in Safeway's aisles, I am singularly
unimpressed. For every HRM Rex Goliath or Bogle you have 20 Woodbridge,
Turning Leaf and Vendange brands that offer bland stuff with little to
no varietal character. When you factor in the bargain wines arriving
from Australia, NZ, S. America and Spain, CA looks even worse by comparison.

When I started buying wine, I could get Caymus Cab for $9 a bottle,
Ridge Zins for $4-5, etc -- and they were my "splurge" wines. I still
buy some of my favorite CA wines on a regular basis, but in truth their
numbers have dwindled as so many producers have priced themselves out of
my cellar. Even the Rhone Rangers, who used to be a reliable source of
reasonably priced wines, have become too pricey to compete with the
wines they try to emulate.

So much for my rant,
Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton 12-04-2005 07:46 PM

D. Gerasimatos 12-04-2005 09:14 PM

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

[snip!]

>Sure, there are some great values to be found in CA, but they are the
>exception rather than the rule. Whereas in the regions I cite above you
>have dozens or even more quality producers making wines of character
>that retail for under $20 (including shipping costs), when I stroll
>among the "fighting varietals" in Safeway's aisles, I am singularly
>unimpressed. For every HRM Rex Goliath or Bogle you have 20 Woodbridge,
>Turning Leaf and Vendange brands that offer bland stuff with little to
>no varietal character.

Well, if you are buying your wines at Safeway then perhaps that is part
of the problem? One of my favorite wineries is Tablas Creek and they
have many offerings at under $20/bottle and most under $30/bottle. For
instance, right now I can buy the 2002 Rousanne for $16. There are a *lot*
of good zins at under $20, including Ravenswood and Ridge Coast Range. For
pinot, pinot blanc, and chardonnay, I like Jim Clendenen's Au Bon Climat wines.
Some of the Hitching Post pinots are also under $30. Another favorite of
mine, Longoria, has 14 of their 18 offerings priced under $30, with most of
those under $20.

Wild Horse (when Ken Volk owned it) used to also make a bevy of good wines
under $20. So do Qupe, Beckmen, and Curtis. If you increase the ceiling to $30
then you get a host of good wines from Ojai Vineyard, Jaffurs, Rombauer,
Turley, Justin, and even biggies like Merryvale. From Oregon, you can find
wines like A to Z, Patricia Green, Raptor Ridge, and Brick House that I find
better than anything in the same price range from Burgundy. One thing I admit
is that there is not a good cab, merlot, or meritage in that range, but that's
okay.

You can certainly find good wine from France for $30 and under, but I find
that it is much more hit-or-miss until you break that $30 mark. Same with
Italy. For better values I look to Spain and California.

Dimitri

Tom S 15-04-2005 08:38 PM

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Tom S wrote:
>
> > IME, it's actually far easier to
> >
> >>get a quality wine from Europe for under $20 than it is from the US.

> > Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say _that_! I'd say that quality wise

in
> > that price range the value is close to equal between France and

California.
> > Of course Mark's view is from an East Coast perspective, so that may

account
> > for the difference in perception.

> East Coast perspective???? Howzat, Tom? Aside from my 5 years in grad
> school in NYC, I've spent no time at all on the East Coast.

??? I thought you hailed from Massachusetts or thereabouts. Or is that the
_other_ Mark Lipton? ;^)

> in this case I cannot help
> but lament the lack of quality in CA wine retailing for under $20.
> Where are the CalCabs that compete directly with B'dx from the Satellite
> appellations?

What about BV, Mondavi, Charles Krug, Louis Martini, K-J and dare I say
it(!?) Gallo? They all make pretty decent stuff for ~$20 (or less).

Where are the light reds from CA that compete with
> Beaujolais?

Does anyone really care?

Where are the Chardonnays that compete price-wise with
> Chablis, the Cote Chalonnaise and Cote Maconnais?

Frankly we don't _make_ anything here in California that compares to
Chablis. Our unoaked Chardonnay just isn't as interesting. As for the
others, I was in Maui recently and drank a whole bunch of different
California Chardonnays that were pretty darn nice, and all below $20 - most
of them closer to $12. Bear in mind that's in Maui dollars, which are
closer to comparable to the Euro. Some names: Meridian, K-J, Gallo, BV
Coastal, BV Carneros, Edna Valley Vineyards, Mondavi. Of course none
compared to Chteau Burbank, but I didn't see that on the shelves over
there. :^/

Where are the Pinots
> that compete with the Cote Chalonnaise?

I don't know if they're directly comparable, but all the above wineries make
decent Pinot Noir - most for well under $20.

Where are the Zins that compete
> with wines from the Languedoc and the Cotes du Rhone?

I didn't know they made any Zin in France. ;^D

> Sure, there are some great values to be found in CA, but they are the
> exception rather than the rule.

Perhaps on the very lowest tier, but not once you get much above that.

Whereas in the regions I cite above you
> have dozens or even more quality producers making wines of character
> that retail for under $20 (including shipping costs), when I stroll
> among the "fighting varietals" in Safeway's aisles, I am singularly
> unimpressed. For every HRM Rex Goliath or Bogle you have 20 Woodbridge,
> Turning Leaf and Vendange brands that offer bland stuff with little to
> no varietal character.

Of course! Those are all _bottom_ tier wines. Also, Safeway isn't the
place to get wines for the best price. Costco is more like it.

When you factor in the bargain wines arriving
> from Australia, NZ, S. America and Spain, CA looks even worse by

comparison.

It's a very competitive place out there.

> When I started buying wine, I could get Caymus Cab for $9 a bottle,
> Ridge Zins for $4-5, etc -- and they were my "splurge" wines.

Yeah, I remember those days. I bought a _magnum_ of 1974 Caymus Cab from
the bottle shop in St. Helena for the (then) astronomical price of $15. Of
course at the time I was only making about $3.50/hour. The Ridge Lytton
Springs was just as good then as it is now, and it was $4.50. At the time,
however, gasoline was close to 50˘ per gallon.

I still
> buy some of my favorite CA wines on a regular basis, but in truth their
> numbers have dwindled as so many producers have priced themselves out of
> my cellar.

Tell me about it! Unfortunately, the French have indirectly contributed to
those nosebleed prices. The top vintners in California see what the
chteaus are getting for their classified growths, which are arguably of
similar quality, and see no reason not to maintain price parity. Hence
wines like Aurajo, Screaming Eagle, Opus, Insignia etc. are all as far out
of reach as Lafite, Latour etc.

> So much for my rant,
> Mark Lipton

And my rebuttal.
Tom S

[email protected] 23-04-2005 09:17 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:43:53 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>Thanks to the EU, you can of course head over here and stock up on
>those low priced little gems. Take the Eurostar and go visit a couple
>of the specialist wine stores in Paris, not the well known ones but
>the tiny boutiques run by people that are clued into what is still
>affordable and great tasting.

Mike,

You just brought up an interesting point. If I were to fly over to
Paris from, say, California, where would I go in Paris (or anywhere
else) to get good deals these days. With the Euro clobbering the
dollar, and shipping back to the west coast cutting into the savings,
what are the best option?

JJ