Leo Bueno

Default "White" Riesling

The Barnard Griffin winery label lists "White Riesling" as the variety
on a 2004 Columbia Valley product.

I thought all Riesling was white, thus rendering the "White"
descriptor as superfluous. Is there a Riesling Noir?

By the way, the wine is a good value.

Cwdjrx _

White Riesling just means true Riesling. It sometimes was used in
California in the past. There have been many wines around the world that
have been made from grapes called XXX Riesling, and the "white" was
added by some to mean true Riesling. The naming of grapes and wines as
XXX Riesling likely was to bask in the glory of Riesling. In the 1800's
some of the top German Rieslings were selling at prices higher than
Bordeaux first growths.

Reply to .

Cwdjrx _

Here is a bit more information. I looked in some older books to find
various wines that have been called XXXX Riesling. Some of these names
may no longer be allowed in some countries, as wine laws change over the
years.

Riesling(true): Has been called White Riesling and Johannisberg Riesling
in California and elsewhere.

Riesling-Want-To-Be:

Gray Riesling - A white California grape that is a descendant of French
Chauche Gris. At one time this was common and cheap, and perhaps some
felt a need to add White or Johannisberg to Riesling when they were
selling the real thing.

Italian Riesling aka Laski Rizling aka Welschriesling. This grape is
grown in many countries. Wine produced from it can be decent, but is in
general far inferior to the best true Riesling.

Riesling de Caldas - The Dachese grape grown in Brazil.

With enough time, one probably could find several other names used with
Riesling.

Reply to .

Tom S

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message
news
> The Barnard Griffin winery label lists "White Riesling" as the variety
> on a 2004 Columbia Valley product.
>
> I thought all Riesling was white, thus rendering the "White"
> descriptor as superfluous. Is there a Riesling Noir?

No, but there are Emerald Riesling and Gray Riesling - the latter of which
might almost qualify as "noir". I've never seen it on the vine, but if it's
anything like Pinot Grigio it looks a lot like a red varietal. I understand
that Gewürtztraminer may have considerable color also.

White Riesling is also known as Johannesberg Riesling. (I'm not too sure of
the correct spelling for Johannesberg; it might be spelled Johannesburg.
Google has it both ways.)

Tom S

Michael Pronay

"Tom S" > wrote:

> White Riesling is also known as Johannesberg Riesling. (I'm not
> too sure of the correct spelling for Johannesberg; it might be
> spelled Johannesburg. Google has it both ways.)

Neither nor. Correct spelling is Johann_i_sb_e_rg. (Berg =
mountain, Burg = castle).

M.
Michael Pronay

"Tom S" > wrote:

> White Riesling is also known as Johannesberg Riesling. (I'm not
> too sure of the correct spelling for Johannesberg; it might be
> spelled Johannesburg. Google has it both ways.)

Neither nor. Correct spelling is Johann_i_sb_e_rg. (Berg =
mountain, Burg = castle).

M.
Cwdjrx _

The year 1978 produced many very rich late harvest Rieslings in
California. I have wines from 5 sources from 1978 that range up to 30
percent residual sugar, and most are holding very well. Four come from
Napa and one from Alexander Valley. Freemark Abbey, Joseph Phelps,
Chateau St. Jean, and Raymond Use Johannisberg Riesling on the label.
Veedercrest uses White Riesling. The spelling for Johannisberg is the
same on all labels that use it. However none use Johannisberger as would
be the case in Germany for wines entitled to use this name.

Reply to .