Daniel Tortorici

Default Suggestions for wine touring - Adelaide AU

I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.

Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?

thx
dan
Mat

Daniel Tortorici wrote:

> I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

I think they've torn Adelaide down and rebuilt wineries all over the place.

There are so many you just about can't lose.

If I were you I would buy a copy of Halliday Wine Companion [James
Halliday] when you get here which you could get for less than $20AU in a
Big W [large chain of low price department stores] or up to $30 elsewhere.

It is probably the most comprehensive listing you will find. It will
also tell you the cellar door arrangements for whatever place you want
to visit as well as tasting notes, brief history etc. It also has
wineries by region list.

Is there any particular area you would like to visit?

http://www.winebase.com.au/ozmaps.htm
Adelaide is in South Australia if you don't know. These maps are a
little outdated but will give you a fair idea.

Mat.

PS: Are you doing business in Adelaide or just visiting to visit
wineries? There are plenty of other excellent regions in most other states.

Mat

Daniel Tortorici wrote:

> I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

I think they've torn Adelaide down and rebuilt wineries all over the place.

There are so many you just about can't lose.

If I were you I would buy a copy of Halliday Wine Companion [James
Halliday] when you get here which you could get for less than $20AU in a
Big W [large chain of low price department stores] or up to $30 elsewhere.

It is probably the most comprehensive listing you will find. It will
also tell you the cellar door arrangements for whatever place you want
to visit as well as tasting notes, brief history etc. It also has
wineries by region list.

Is there any particular area you would like to visit?

http://www.winebase.com.au/ozmaps.htm
Adelaide is in South Australia if you don't know. These maps are a
little outdated but will give you a fair idea.

Mat.

PS: Are you doing business in Adelaide or just visiting to visit
wineries? There are plenty of other excellent regions in most other states.

Andrew Goldfinch

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
>I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Hi Dan
There are 2 great areas close to Adelaide for touring. The Barossa region
(incorporating the Barossa & Eden Valleys) is about 70 minutes North of the
City. While there don't miss Torbreck, Greenock Creek, Kalleske, Glaymond,
Grant Burge, Peter Lehmann, Chateau Tanunda, Veritas, Charles Melton,
Henshke & Seppeltsfield. Penfolds also has a big operation there if you are
interested in them. South of the city (about an hour) is McLaren Vale don't
miss Chapel hill, Hugh Hamilton, Kay Bros Amery, Penny's Hill, Coriole,
D'arenberg, Kangarilla Road. As for appointments most of the places listed
are open to drop in though some may only be open on weekends once summer is
over. The South Oz government have a great site at www.southaustralia.com
which has stacks of info about the regions and links to tour operators etc.
McLaren Vale is on the Fleurieu Peninsula BTW if you are looking for it.
Have a great time.
Cheers Andrew

Andrew Goldfinch

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
>I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Hi Dan
There are 2 great areas close to Adelaide for touring. The Barossa region
(incorporating the Barossa & Eden Valleys) is about 70 minutes North of the
City. While there don't miss Torbreck, Greenock Creek, Kalleske, Glaymond,
Grant Burge, Peter Lehmann, Chateau Tanunda, Veritas, Charles Melton,
Henshke & Seppeltsfield. Penfolds also has a big operation there if you are
interested in them. South of the city (about an hour) is McLaren Vale don't
miss Chapel hill, Hugh Hamilton, Kay Bros Amery, Penny's Hill, Coriole,
D'arenberg, Kangarilla Road. As for appointments most of the places listed
are open to drop in though some may only be open on weekends once summer is

Ron Lel

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
>I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Dan, I really dislike most Barossa wines, so I would certainly stick to
McLaren Vale or the Southern Vales as it is called. Good wineries there are
Kays, Scarpantoni is excellent value - about $20.AUD - and makes very good
wine, Chapel Hill is not bad.

You won't need any appointments.

Cheers
Ron Lel

Ron Lel

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
>I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Dan, I really dislike most Barossa wines, so I would certainly stick to
McLaren Vale or the Southern Vales as it is called. Good wineries there are
Kays, Scarpantoni is excellent value - about $20.AUD - and makes very good
wine, Chapel Hill is not bad.

You won't need any appointments.

Cheers
Ron Lel

Adrian B

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
> I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Barossa, McLaren Vale and/or Adelaide Hills is a strong recommendation from
me.

In the Barossa I'd particularly suggest:

> Seppeltsfield - with decent advance notice they provide tours of the

winery with (very) premum tasting. They also offer a more pedestrian
'historic' tour at regularly schedule intervals - that's not what I'm
talking about.
> Henschke (http://www.henschke.com.au/) might be able to organise something

special tailored to your interests if you ask nicely
> St Hallets, Charles Melton, Peter Lehmann, Bethany... all good - no need

to ring in advance.
> Nearby Mount Adam is also worth a drop in for cooler climate styles.
> Fantastic farmers market each Saturday morning near Vintners. Don't forget

the fine butchers, bakers and growers... Maggie Beers is worth dropping into
too - good light lunches!
> For lunch/dinner in the Barossa make sure you try Vintners and Barr-Vinnum

(book in Advance!)

McLaren Vale

> This place is much more 'boutique' than the Barossa. The cellar doors are

close and easier to access.
> I'd particularly recommend Chapel Hill, D'Arenberg, Wirra Wirra, Fox

Creek... but there are so many others - all which offer something unique.
> Good olives, dukkah and produce here too! So close to the sea... Mmm,

fresh squid.
> For lunch/dinner you can eat very well at D'Arry's Verandah (at

D'Arenberg), Salopian Inn or Star of Greece (10 minutes away on the coast) -
book in advance!

Adelaide Hills

> Adelaide Hills is relatively cool climate, small, premium producers.

Cellar doors are spread on windy roads requiring a good map and research. If
you go just for lunch at Bridgewater Mill it's worth it It's nice to see
the Adelaide Hills in contrast with the hot/dry Barossa and McLaren Vale.
> Ashton Hills, Ashton Hills, Ashton Hills... Did I say that enough?
> Bridgwater Mill / Petaluma, Shaw & Smith, Chain of Ponds.
> For a fantastic lunch go to Bridgewater Mill restaurant (book in

advance!).

If you'd like any specific suggestions please feel free to email.

Kind regards
Adrian

Rooview - a personal, independent South Australian restaurant review site.
http://www.rooview.com.au

Adrian B

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
> I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Barossa, McLaren Vale and/or Adelaide Hills is a strong recommendation from
me.

In the Barossa I'd particularly suggest:

> Seppeltsfield - with decent advance notice they provide tours of the

winery with (very) premum tasting. They also offer a more pedestrian
'historic' tour at regularly schedule intervals - that's not what I'm
talking about.
> Henschke (http://www.henschke.com.au/) might be able to organise something

special tailored to your interests if you ask nicely
> St Hallets, Charles Melton, Peter Lehmann, Bethany... all good - no need

to ring in advance.
> Nearby Mount Adam is also worth a drop in for cooler climate styles.
> Fantastic farmers market each Saturday morning near Vintners. Don't forget

the fine butchers, bakers and growers... Maggie Beers is worth dropping into
too - good light lunches!
> For lunch/dinner in the Barossa make sure you try Vintners and Barr-Vinnum

(book in Advance!)

McLaren Vale

> This place is much more 'boutique' than the Barossa. The cellar doors are

close and easier to access.
> I'd particularly recommend Chapel Hill, D'Arenberg, Wirra Wirra, Fox

Creek... but there are so many others - all which offer something unique.
> Good olives, dukkah and produce here too! So close to the sea... Mmm,

fresh squid.
> For lunch/dinner you can eat very well at D'Arry's Verandah (at

D'Arenberg), Salopian Inn or Star of Greece (10 minutes away on the coast) -
book in advance!

Adelaide Hills

> Adelaide Hills is relatively cool climate, small, premium producers.

Cellar doors are spread on windy roads requiring a good map and research. If
you go just for lunch at Bridgewater Mill it's worth it It's nice to see
the Adelaide Hills in contrast with the hot/dry Barossa and McLaren Vale.
> Ashton Hills, Ashton Hills, Ashton Hills... Did I say that enough?
> Bridgwater Mill / Petaluma, Shaw & Smith, Chain of Ponds.
> For a fantastic lunch go to Bridgewater Mill restaurant (book in

advance!).

If you'd like any specific suggestions please feel free to email.

Kind regards
Adrian

Rooview - a personal, independent South Australian restaurant review site.
http://www.rooview.com.au

Adrian B

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message
> I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
>
> Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
>
> thx
> dan

Hello Daniel, further to my last message - Penfolds Magill Estate is
literally 15-20 minutes from Adelaide city. It's the source of lots of the
grapes from the famous 'Grange'. If you ring, beg and grovel they may be
able to organise something special (with appropriate cost). If not, the
cellar door (without appointment) allows an opportunity to taste a cross
section of Penfolds more affordable and experimental wines. A dinner at the
restaurant Magill Estate is something special too. Where else can you get
Grange by the glass?

Kind regards,
Adrian

Rooview - a personal, independent South Australian restaurant review site.
http://www.rooview.com.au

Daniel Tortorici

In article >, Ask@me says...
> Daniel Tortorici wrote:
>
> > I will be in Australia on business in the next few weeks and am thinking
> > of spending some time visiting wineries near Adelaide.
> >
> > Any suggestions on places not to miss? Appointments necessary?
> >
> > thx
> > dan

> I think they've torn Adelaide down and rebuilt wineries all over the place.
>
> There are so many you just about can't lose.
>
> If I were you I would buy a copy of Halliday Wine Companion [James
> Halliday] when you get here which you could get for less than $20AU in a
> Big W [large chain of low price department stores] or up to $30 elsewhere.
>
> It is probably the most comprehensive listing you will find. It will
> also tell you the cellar door arrangements for whatever place you want
> to visit as well as tasting notes, brief history etc. It also has
> wineries by region list.
>
> Is there any particular area you would like to visit?
>
> http://www.winebase.com.au/ozmaps.htm
> Adelaide is in South Australia if you don't know. These maps are a
> little outdated but will give you a fair idea.
>

> Mat.
>

> PS: Are you doing business in Adelaide or just visiting to visit
> wineries? There are plenty of other excellent regions in most other states.

Thanks Mat

I will be in Sydney and Melbourne on business. Thought I'd go to
Adelaide because I've heard of great reds coming from that area. Was
thinking of Coonawarra or McLaren Vale. From the map it looks like a
high concentration of wineries in either area.

How are is it from Adelaide?
Is a car necessary to explore the area or is there good public
transportation?

Thanks for your help and the pointer to the book.
Mat

Daniel Tortorici wrote:
> Thanks Mat
>
> I will be in Sydney and Melbourne on business. Thought I'd go to
> Adelaide because I've heard of great reds coming from that area. Was
> thinking of Coonawarra or McLaren Vale. From the map it looks like a
> high concentration of wineries in either area.
>
> How are is it from Adelaide?
> Is a car necessary to explore the area or is there good public
> transportation?
>
> Thanks for your help and the pointer to the book.

Hello Daniel,

There are some good places in NSW and Victoria you can visit while you
are here. Yarra Valley near Melbourne comes to mind straight away.
Famous for its pinot noir if you like red. But also cool climate shiraz,
as is mornington peninsula [40 mins out of city]. This is some excellent
red wines to be had north of Melbourne.

Sydney: Mudgee, Orange, Hunter Valley all a day trip. All excellent
wines to be had there. Orange, Mudgee in particular for reds.

Adelaide is quite good. I would advise having a car, or you can arrange
a tour bus [same for Melbourne and Sydney] but the bus wine tours tend
to be expensive. It would cost you less to hire a car for the day. Just
remember which side of the road to drive on.

Coonawarra less than 4 hours. McLaren Vale about 1 hour. From Adelaide.
I don't know about public transportation.

There's got to be touristy stuff on a website. Found this:
http://www.adelaide.southaustralia.com/home.asp
http://www.southaustralia.com/home.asp

O and if you get a chance go to Hahndorf.
http://www.adhills.com.au/tourism/to...dorf/index.htm
Its an old German town. Its nice there. Adelaide Hills where it is is
also a good wine region.

HTH,

Mat.

Mat.

Mat

Daniel Tortorici wrote:
> Thanks Mat
>
> I will be in Sydney and Melbourne on business. Thought I'd go to
> Adelaide because I've heard of great reds coming from that area. Was
> thinking of Coonawarra or McLaren Vale. From the map it looks like a
> high concentration of wineries in either area.
>
> How are is it from Adelaide?
> Is a car necessary to explore the area or is there good public
> transportation?
>
> Thanks for your help and the pointer to the book.

Hello Daniel,

There are some good places in NSW and Victoria you can visit while you
are here. Yarra Valley near Melbourne comes to mind straight away.
Famous for its pinot noir if you like red. But also cool climate shiraz,
as is mornington peninsula [40 mins out of city]. This is some excellent
red wines to be had north of Melbourne.

Sydney: Mudgee, Orange, Hunter Valley all a day trip. All excellent
wines to be had there. Orange, Mudgee in particular for reds.

Adelaide is quite good. I would advise having a car, or you can arrange
a tour bus [same for Melbourne and Sydney] but the bus wine tours tend
to be expensive. It would cost you less to hire a car for the day. Just
remember which side of the road to drive on.

Coonawarra less than 4 hours. McLaren Vale about 1 hour. From Adelaide.
I don't know about public transportation.

There's got to be touristy stuff on a website. Found this:
http://www.adelaide.southaustralia.com/home.asp
http://www.southaustralia.com/home.asp

O and if you get a chance go to Hahndorf.
http://www.adhills.com.au/tourism/to...dorf/index.htm
Its an old German town. Its nice there. Adelaide Hills where it is is
also a good wine region.

HTH,

Mat.

Mat.

Daniel Tortorici

> Hello Daniel, further to my last message - Penfolds Magill Estate is
> literally 15-20 minutes from Adelaide city. It's the source of lots of the
> grapes from the famous 'Grange'. If you ring, beg and grovel they may be
> able to organise something special (with appropriate cost). If not, the
> cellar door (without appointment) allows an opportunity to taste a cross
> section of Penfolds more affordable and experimental wines. A dinner at the
> restaurant Magill Estate is something special too. Where else can you get
> Grange by the glass?
>
> Kind regards,
> Adrian

Thanks to all for the response. I'm feeling better about venturing into
an 'unknown' (to me) wine area.

Adrian - where is Penfold's Magill Estate? which area?

I notice no one mentioned Coonawarra. Any thoughts or comparisons?
I am particularly interested in places where you can get close to the
winemaking experience as I am an amateur winemaker myself always looking
for more to learn, particularly about red wine.

thx again,
dan
Adrian B

"Daniel Tortorici" > wrote in message

> Thanks to all for the response. I'm feeling better about venturing into
> an 'unknown' (to me) wine area.
>
> Adrian - where is Penfold's Magill Estate? which area?
>
> I notice no one mentioned Coonawarra. Any thoughts or comparisons?
> I am particularly interested in places where you can get close to the
> winemaking experience as I am an amateur winemaker myself always looking
> for more to learn, particularly about red wine.
>
> thx again,
> dan

Hi Daniel - Penfold's Magill Estate is in Magill on the Adelaide plains.
It's literally in the suburbs of Adelaide - just 10-15 minutes drive from
the city. There's lots of public transport available to and from it.

Historically, this is the area where Dr Chrstopher Rawson Penfold lived and
grew the grapes back in 1844 (just eight years after the small settlement of
Adelaide was founded). The vines covered an area of approximately 200
hectares. They have managed to save only a few paddocks of the original
vines - since been replaced with endless, unimaginative suburban housing.

In respects to Coonawarra - it's about 4 hours drive (add another hour or
two if you take your time). The wines are great but the area as a 'tourist
destination' is a fairly recent phenomenon. As such, the tasting areas are
modern, smart but a little sterile. There placed along the main road through
town and you don't get to experience the windy backroads and tin sheds. I
love the area and would highly recommend it - but unless you're here for an
extended peiod it's a bit tricky to get to and from.

The Barossa (just over an hour away), McLaren Vale (45 minutes) and Adelaide
Hills (30 minutes) offers oodles of character by comparison. All easily
achievable with a pleasant daytrip or extended stay

Good luck!.