Adam S.

Default Uncorking problem

Yesterday, while uncorking a bottle of wine I recieved as a gift, I ran
into a problem I've never had before. I was using a waiters corkscrew to
remove the cork from the bottle. I burried the corkscrew sufficiently deep
into the cork, but when i tried to pull the cork, the crew ripped out
through the center. I tried the corkscrew again, but the cork just started
to disintigrate. I finally decided to just push the cork in and filter the
wine before serving it. However, when I tried to push the remnants of the
cork in, the sides were firmly adhered to the bottle. I ended up piercing a
large hole in the cork and filtering the wine into a clean empty bottle
through a coffee filter. For what it's worth, it's a 1994 Callaway Cabernet
Sauvignon that my parents have had since '94.

Thanks,
Adam

David Hough

Adam S. wrote:
> Yesterday, while uncorking a bottle of wine I recieved as a gift, I ran
> into a problem I've never had before. I was using a waiters corkscrew to
> remove the cork from the bottle. I burried the corkscrew sufficiently deep
> into the cork, but when i tried to pull the cork, the crew ripped out
> through the center. I tried the corkscrew again, but the cork just started
> to disintigrate. I finally decided to just push the cork in and filter the
> wine before serving it. However, when I tried to push the remnants of the
> cork in, the sides were firmly adhered to the bottle. I ended up piercing a
> large hole in the cork and filtering the wine into a clean empty bottle
> through a coffee filter. For what it's worth, it's a 1994 Callaway Cabernet
> Sauvignon that my parents have had since '94.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

That's unfortunate Adam. I'll guess, that this, would not have
happened, had the bottle been stored upside down. After 11 years the
cork dried out.
Ron Lel