Ken Blake

Default "Corked" in French and German

The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was wrong
in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by a
couple of people, I now know.

We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some one
tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked bottle
there?

While we're at it it, how do I tell a waiter that the wine is
oxidized?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Mike Tommasi > typed:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:21:31 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>
>> The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
>> restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was
>> wrong
>> in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by
>> couple of people, I now know.

> Sa di tappo

Yes, thanks. I knew that; it was a typa.

I mean a typo! ;-)

>> We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
>> like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some
>> one
>> tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked
>> bottle
>> there?

> In French: "il est bouchonné"
>

>> While we're at it it, how do I tell a waiter that the wine is
>> oxidized?

> In Italian "è ossidato"
>
> In French "il est oxidé"

Thanks very much. Can anyone help with the same phrases in
German?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Mike Tommasi > typed:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:21:31 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>
>> The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
>> restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was
>> wrong
>> in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by
>> couple of people, I now know.

> Sa di tappo

Yes, thanks. I knew that; it was a typa.

I mean a typo! ;-)

>> We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
>> like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some
>> one
>> tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked
>> bottle
>> there?

> In French: "il est bouchonné"
>

>> While we're at it it, how do I tell a waiter that the wine is
>> oxidized?

> In Italian "è ossidato"
>
> In French "il est oxidé"

Thanks very much. Can anyone help with the same phrases in
German?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Anders Tørneskog

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:42:52 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>

>>Thanks very much. Can anyone help with the same phrases in
>>German?

> I think it is "Korkgeschmack" for "cork taste"
> and "Oxidation" for "oxydation"

The first should be understood, even with an American pronounciation :-)
For the second, saying "oxidiert" might be easier on the locals (say
"oxeedeert")
Anders

My Austrian tells me:

Der wein hat einer Kork! (and you should employ that exclamation, I
say)

Der wein ist oxidiert.

Ron Lel

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My Austrian tells me:
>
> Der wein hat einer Kork! (and you should employ that exclamation, I
> say)
>
> Der wein ist oxidiert.

Uh no. This means the wine has a cork. Also the article is in the wrong
gender.

Germans will understand "Der Wein ist gekorkt."
Or "Der Wein hat einen Korkgeschmack".

Ron Lel

Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> Thanks very much. Can anyone help with the same phrases in
>> German?

> I think it is "Korkgeschmack" for "cork taste"
> and "Oxidation" for "oxydation"

"Der Wein korkt" - the wine corks.

"Der Wein hat einen Korkfehler" - the wine has a cork taint.

"Der Wein ist oxidiert" - the wine is oxidized.

M.
Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> Thanks very much. Can anyone help with the same phrases in
>> German?

> I think it is "Korkgeschmack" for "cork taste"
> and "Oxidation" for "oxydation"

"Der Wein korkt" - the wine corks.

"Der Wein hat einen Korkfehler" - the wine has a cork taint.

"Der Wein ist oxidiert" - the wine is oxidized.

M.
Ken Blake

In ,
Ron Lel > typed:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> My Austrian tells me:
>>
>> Der wein hat einer Kork! (and you should employ that
>> exclamation, I
>> say)
>>
>> Der wein ist oxidiert.

> Uh no. This means the wine has a cork. Also the article is in
> the
> wrong gender.
>
> Germans will understand "Der Wein ist gekorkt."
> Or "Der Wein hat einen Korkgeschmack".

Thanks, Ron.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Michael Pronay > typed:
> Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>
>>> Thanks very much. Can anyone help with the same phrases in
>>> German?

>> I think it is "Korkgeschmack" for "cork taste"
>> and "Oxidation" for "oxydation"

> "Der Wein korkt" - the wine corks.
>
> "Der Wein hat einen Korkfehler" - the wine has a cork taint.
>
> "Der Wein ist oxidiert" - the wine is oxidized.

Thanks, Michael.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

David Rheault

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:21:31 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>
> >The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
> >restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was wrong
> >in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by a
> >couple of people, I now know.

> Sa di tappo
>

> >We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
> >like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some one
> >tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked bottle
> >there?

> In French: "il est bouchonné"

You can also say: "Ce vin a un goût de bouchon."

Or if you just don't like the wine say: "Ce vin a un goût de vinaigre."
(this wine tastes like vinegar)

In either case, if the wine doesn't meet your standards send it back!

dcr

Ken Blake

In ,
David Rheault > typed:
> "Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:21:31 -0700, "Ken Blake"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
>>> restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was
>>> wrong
>>> in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by
>>> couple of people, I now know.

>> Sa di tappo
>>

>>> We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
>>> like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some
>>> one
>>> tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked
>>> bottle
>>> there?

>> In French: "il est bouchonné"

> You can also say: "Ce vin a un goût de bouchon."
>
> Or if you just don't like the wine say: "Ce vin a un goût de
> vinaigre." (this wine tastes like vinegar)
>
> In either case, if the wine doesn't meet your standards send it
> back!

Not liking a wine, or its not meeting your standards, is not a
valid reason for sending a wine back,. Although some places might
take it back, many, if not most, won't.

You are entitled to send a wine back if it's defective: corked,
oxidized, etc.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi David Rheault,

le/on Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:48:37 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>> In French: "il est bouchonné"

>You can also say: "Ce vin a un goût de bouchon."
>
>Or if you just don't like the wine say: "Ce vin a un goût de vinaigre."
>(this wine tastes like vinegar)
>
>In either case, if the wine doesn't meet your standards send it back!

Don't agree. Although a restaurant may take a wine back simply because you
don't like it, I think that's taking unfair advantage of their kindness or
rather their reluctance to displease a client.

I feel they ought to take it back if it is faulty on the other hand, though
I've known some waiters try it on!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi David Rheault,

le/on Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:48:37 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>> In French: "il est bouchonné"

>You can also say: "Ce vin a un goût de bouchon."
>
>Or if you just don't like the wine say: "Ce vin a un goût de vinaigre."
>(this wine tastes like vinegar)
>
>In either case, if the wine doesn't meet your standards send it back!

Don't agree. Although a restaurant may take a wine back simply because you
don't like it, I think that's taking unfair advantage of their kindness or
rather their reluctance to displease a client.

I feel they ought to take it back if it is faulty on the other hand, though
I've known some waiters try it on!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com

Saint Vincent

This just points up the trivial nonsense that many of the people in this
group get bogged down in. Does this make you all feel Important or
Knowledgable? How many corked bottles do you think he is going to find in a
couple of weeks?? Peckerheads.
"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a restaurant, and
> didn't know how to tell the waiter what was wrong in Italian. Having asked
> here, and been told "sa di tappa" by a couple of people, I now know.
>
> We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to be
> prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some one tell me what to say
> in French and German if I get a corked bottle there?
>
> While we're at it it, how do I tell a waiter that the wine is oxidized?
>

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Ms Leebee > typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
>> restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was
>> wrong
>> in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by
>> couple of people, I now know.
>>
>> We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
>> like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some
>> one
>> tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked
>> bottle
>> there?

> Point to the bottle / glass, grimace, hold your nose in a peg
> fashion
> and shake your head 'no'.
> I'm pretty sure they'll get your meaning

Sure, sign language is always a choice if you don't know how to
say something in another language, but I always prefer to know
the appropriate words if I can. A couple of others here have
supplied the sentences I needed, so I'm all set, thanks.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Ms Leebee > typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> The last time I was in Rome, I had a corked bottle in a
>> restaurant, and didn't know how to tell the waiter what was
>> wrong
>> in Italian. Having asked here, and been told "sa di tappa" by
>> couple of people, I now know.
>>
>> We're off to France and Germany in a couple of weeks, and I'd
>> like to be prepared for the same eventuality there. Can some
>> one
>> tell me what to say in French and German if I get a corked
>> bottle
>> there?

> Point to the bottle / glass, grimace, hold your nose in a peg
> fashion
> and shake your head 'no'.
> I'm pretty sure they'll get your meaning

Sure, sign language is always a choice if you don't know how to
say something in another language, but I always prefer to know
the appropriate words if I can. A couple of others here have
supplied the sentences I needed, so I'm all set, thanks.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Martin Field

"Ken Blake" > wrote in
message ...
> In ,
> Ms Leebee > typed:

snip

> Sure, sign language is always a choice if you don't know
> how to say something in another language, but I always
> prefer to know the appropriate words if I can. A couple of
> others here have supplied the sentences I needed, so I'm
> all set, thanks.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please reply to the newsgroup

I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
English works.

THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

Martin

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Martin Field,

le/on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:22:05 +1000, tu disais/you said:-

>I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
>English works.
>
>THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

Even in Australia?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Hunt

In article >, ianhoare@angelfire.
com says...

>Salut/Hi Martin Field,
>
> le/on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:22:05 +1000, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
>>English works.
>>
>>THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

>Even in Australia?
>

>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare

You know, Ian, I've actually had much better luck when I whisper to the
waitperson, "sh-h-h, this wine is corked." All the good ones will quickly
replace the wine and often give me a big thank-you for telling them quietly,
out of ear-shot of other diners, that there is a flaw. I've had many
instances, where they quickly made a sweep of the entire dining room,
replacing the same wine for many others (by-the-glass situations here), even
though those diners didn't notice the flaw. Maybe it is my proventialism, but
in my travels, "corked" seems to be understood universally.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, ianhoare@angelfire.
com says...

>Salut/Hi Martin Field,
>
> le/on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:22:05 +1000, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
>>English works.
>>
>>THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

>Even in Australia?
>

>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare

You know, Ian, I've actually had much better luck when I whisper to the
waitperson, "sh-h-h, this wine is corked." All the good ones will quickly
replace the wine and often give me a big thank-you for telling them quietly,
out of ear-shot of other diners, that there is a flaw. I've had many
instances, where they quickly made a sweep of the entire dining room,
replacing the same wine for many others (by-the-glass situations here), even
though those diners didn't notice the flaw. Maybe it is my proventialism, but
in my travels, "corked" seems to be understood universally.

Hunt

Ken Blake

In ,
Hunt > typed:

> Maybe it is my proventialism, but in my travels,
> "corked" seems to be understood universally.

I recounted this story here a year and a half ago: the one time I
needed to say it in Italy, before I had asked here how to say it
in Italian, I told the waiter (who I thought spoke no English)
"Questo vino non e buono. In inglese, e 'corked.' "

He immediately knew what I meant and replaced the wine. But still
I'm more comfortable if I know how to say it in the local
language.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Hunt > typed:

> Maybe it is my proventialism, but in my travels,
> "corked" seems to be understood universally.

I recounted this story here a year and a half ago: the one time I
needed to say it in Italy, before I had asked here how to say it
in Italian, I told the waiter (who I thought spoke no English)
"Questo vino non e buono. In inglese, e 'corked.' "

He immediately knew what I meant and replaced the wine. But still
I'm more comfortable if I know how to say it in the local
language.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Martin Field

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Martin Field,
>
> le/on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:22:05 +1000, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
>>English works.
>>
>>THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

> Even in Australia?

Hi Ian - In Australia we have a more dignified approach, to
wit:

"Hey! Bruce! This bloody plonk tastes worse than dingo's
****! Bring us another one or I'll shove the clapped out aro
up yer klacka!"

Cheers!
Martin

Trans: Bruce = Sydney University professor of philosophy
moonlighting as part-time sommelier; dingo's **** = what one
drinks when one is without water when one's car has broken
down in yonder desert; aro = Aristotle = rhymes with bottle;
klacka = cloaca; clapped out = what has happened to the
engine of one's car in aforementioned desert.

Martin Field

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Martin Field,
>
> le/on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:22:05 +1000, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
>>English works.
>>
>>THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

> Even in Australia?

Hi Ian - In Australia we have a more dignified approach, to
wit:

"Hey! Bruce! This bloody plonk tastes worse than dingo's
****! Bring us another one or I'll shove the clapped out aro
up yer klacka!"

Cheers!
Martin

Trans: Bruce = Sydney University professor of philosophy
moonlighting as part-time sommelier; dingo's **** = what one
drinks when one is without water when one's car has broken
down in yonder desert; aro = Aristotle = rhymes with bottle;
klacka = cloaca; clapped out = what has happened to the
engine of one's car in aforementioned desert.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Martin Field,

grin! I thought that would elicit a response!

le/on Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:28:27 +1000, tu disais/you said:-

>>>I've always found that speaking very loudly and slowly in
>>>English works.
>>>
>>>THIS.....WINE....IS.....CORKED!!!! Savvy?

>> Even in Australia?
>>

>Hi Ian - In Australia we have a more dignified approach, to
>wit:
>
>"Hey! Bruce! This bloody plonk tastes worse than dingo's
>****! Bring us another one or I'll shove the clapped out aro
>up yer klacka!"

And the reply is. "Bleedin' pommie *******, f'yer dont like our plonk, ****
orf back to where yer caime from."